What's new

Fear the Walking Dead Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DVR Alert: My DVR had tonight's episode listed as a repeat, but it's actually a new episode. So anybody who's got a series recording set might want to double-check and manually record tonight's episode if necessary.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was kind of frustrating for me, only because I was so invested in the "now" scenes, whereas the "then" scenes are just sort of filling in the blanks from the information we'd already picked up along the way.

Morgan is so much better utilized on this show than he ever was on the mothership. His embodiment of Eastman's philosophy of nonviolence and the sanctity of life always existed uncomfortably alongside storylines built around violent conflict. But here, the way of being that Morgan preaches feels essential; he's picking up the flame from Madison in the "then" scenes. The question is not whether Alicia, Strand et al. will be defeated, but whether they can return to the path of a better way.

The interesting thing about Morgan rescuing Charlie is that it's an open question what she's going to do next. We've seen her choose the Vultures again and again. And we've seen his kill Nick. But now both Ennis and Mel are dead. Most of the Vultures have been wiped out. The people she was loyal to are gone. Who is she without them? Certainly, she seemed to feel remorse and take responsibility for what has transpired.

My big issue with the way the Stadium feel is that it's just bad strategy on Ennis's part. The whole reason the Vultures were circling the stadium settlement was because they wanted what the settlement had. Yes, his strategy effectively took out the stadium settlement. But it did so in a way that made it impossible to get the supplies they were after in the first place. A truly self-defeating move.

There was a nice symmetry to ending, with the group trapped in the SUV in the "then" scenes, and the group trapped in the SWAT vehicle in the "now" scenes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This episode was more like part 1 of the midseason finale since there was alot of build up to next week's climax but I'm still surprised by how good this show has been this season. I think I've liked this season more than any season of The Walking Dead and certainly more than any other season of Fear TWD.

Morgan is so much better utilized on this show than he ever was on the mothership. His embodiment of Eastman's philosophy of nonviolence and the sanctity of life always existed uncomfortably alongside storylines built around violent conflict. But here, the way of being that Morgan preaches feels essential...
Yeah, I've always liked the character's philosophy even though it didn't seem particularly reasonable in the world that he was living in but on this show, it actually works.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What is going on with the decision-making in this show by the characters? It's really agonizingly dumb and distracting.

Why do Nick and his sister stick around in the parking lot in the Range Rover waiting for the zombies to overcome them? They have a walkie talkie, just get the hell out of there for now instead of exposing your mom and others to what inevitably happens (they let the zombies get into the stadium).

I still don't get why John Dorie was shot, or why you would sideline the best character for the mid-season finale or whatever they call it. And is returning to the infested stadium the only choice for treatment? It seems like they knew what was in there, but they go anyway knowing it's insanity.

And then the decision to go follow and rescue the vulture guy in the first place. Huh?

Nevermind that flashbacks are full color and the current timelime is desaturated. What's with that?

Or that Nick is already dead and yet we're still supposed to be invested in his well-being in the Range Rover.

My son and I just looked at each other last night after this and the latest Westworld nonsense and just went, man, where is a good show this summer? The only one we've seen recently that really delivered was The Terror on AMC. I guess we're going to have to wait for Saul, now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What is going on with the decision-making in this show by the characters? It's really agonizingly dumb and distracting.
I'll admit that I'm grading on a curve here, because the co-creator/original showrunner Dave Erickson was really bad about having the characters make dumb and often incomprehensible decisions. At least here, the behavior flows from what we already know about the characters, with no left-fielders.

Why do Nick and his sister stick around in the parking lot in the Range Rover waiting for the zombies to overcome them? They have a walkie talkie, just get the hell out of there for now instead of exposing your mom and others to what inevitably happens (they let the zombies get into the stadium).
It all went down so fast. The wall of fire blocked their entry into the stadium, they're on the walkie trying to get a handle on things, and before you know it they're surrounded. You figure the trucks opened up maybe 20-30 feet behind them, so it wouldn't have taken very long.

I still don't get why John Dorie was shot, or why you would sideline the best character for the mid-season finale or whatever they call it. And is returning to the infested stadium the only choice for treatment? It seems like they knew what was in there, but they go anyway knowing it's insanity.
Purely wrong place, wrong time. Alicia was trying to shoot Naomi, who she thought had betrayed them, and John Dorie -- in his rush to be reunited with his beloved "Laura" -- ran right into the line of fire.

As for returning to the stadium: you have to remember that the Vultures have picked everything clean for a 50 mile radius. John Dorie is fading fast from the gun shot wound. The stadium was the only place Naomi knew would have the needed supplies within the timeline they were talking about.

And then the decision to go follow and rescue the vulture guy in the first place. Huh?
It's a reflection of the lesson that Madison has spent all season driving into her kids: "No one's gone 'til they're gone." They just happened to take it to heart at the worst possible time.

Nevermind that flashbacks are full color and the current timelime is desaturated. What's with that?
In addition to helping the audience differentiate between past and present, it's a signifier of mood; things in the "Then" scenes were largely hopeful and optimistic. Things in the "Now" scenes are mostly hopeless and bleak.

Or that Nick is already dead and yet we're still supposed to be invested in his well-being in the Range Rover.
Some of our protagonists still alive and kicking in the "Now" scenes are also in that Range Rover, so I think we're supposed to be invested in their well-being.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought that was an excellent midseason finale, one that had me fully engrossed like no episode of either series has in a long, long time.

We're at a point in the timeline now where everybody left alive has gotten really good at surviving or they wouldn't still be alive. That creates a certain breathing room, and with breathing room comes choices. This wasn't really an episode about survival, it was an episode about choices: What type of people do they want to be? What are they willing to do, or not do, to be those people? The two timelines converged in a way that really paid off the arc of the first half of this season.

The parallel between Morgan and Nick earlier in the season, and Morgan and Alicia in this finale? Beautiful. Morgan and Nick made choices then, and Morgan and Alicia make choices now.

And with regard to Madison, I definitely think the Glenn precedent applies here. Yes, it would have been impossible to survive that situation. But we didn't see her die, so my guess is that she somehow made it out and will be appearing the back half of the season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And with regard to Madison, I definitely think the Glenn precedent applies here.
I hate to see Kim Dickens leave the show but I don't think they're going to make that awful 'fake death' mistake again. I'm not saying that I'd stop watching the show or anything but Fear is the best that it's ever been so I'd hate to see them screw it up by taking big events back.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not showing Madison's death was either "yeah, we respect her too much to show her getting ripped apart and consumed and burned," or.... Kim Dickens hasn't signed on for another season yet, we could still pull one out of the hat here.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
It is just me, or did the whole stadium full of zombies crisis get swept under the rug? The opening scenes show the stadium PACKED with walkers and they opened up a path so that Morgan and Naomi Could rush to the infirmary, then all of a sudden the zombies were forgotten about. Alicia seemed to be able to stroll right into the infirmary to try and take Naomi out without any hesitance. I mean really, there were litterally a thousand or more walkers in the stadium.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
My son and I just looked at each other last night after this and the latest Westworld nonsense and just went, man, where is a good show this summer? The only one we've seen recently that really delivered was The Terror on AMC. I guess we're going to have to wait for Saul, now.
Sorry for the thread fart. My wife and I were just thinking of starting Westworld from the beginning. Sounds like you wouldn't recommend that?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the thread fart. My wife and I were just thinking of starting Westworld from the beginning. Sounds like you wouldn't recommend that?
Just to add my unrequested and off topic two cents :), I thought the second half of the first season of Westworld was pretty good but I've more or less lost interest this season. To me, it's alot like Game Of Thrones where it's an incredible production with excellent performances but the material just doesn't capture my interest. I will say that enough people love Westworld that you should give it chance and see what you think. Also, I will say that if you're not into the first half or so of S1 stick with it because they're working out some of the bugs.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Part of our disappointment is based on high expectations, but it is a lavish show that fully exploits fantastic scenery and sets, and it has its moments. I just think the parts don't add up to a whole yet, and in my opinion, any given episode of a series should have it's own value to stand on its own and be entertaining, and not require chewing on a lot of data dump information that doesn't add up to enjoying the single episode any more, and, in fact, often takes away from that. The characters in Game of Thrones are sooooo much better though, whether you want to jump into that full mythology or not. And separate episodes are enjoyable on their own, imo.

There aren't many women in it (except for some Greta Sacchi back in London moments), but The Terror is a fantastic series if you get AMC on Demand. And Nashville is back for its final few episodes, which is a guilty soap watch for both my wife and I.

I also just ordered the first two seasons of The Expanse, because I've heard good things about this SyFy show, and we loved the Battlestar Galactica redo.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Fear certainly pulled me back in this season and it's a much better show that it was for the first couple of seasons. My two least favorite characters are now gone so I'm pleased with that. I think this show still suffers from a low budget which is preventing it from going full zombie horror. We saw more walkers than normal this season, and that's good, but how often have we ever seen someone get killed by one, or turn into one?

And the heavy handedness which they dealt with Nick and Madison's deaths... good lord. Between these two and Carl's death it's getting ridiculous. Consider Travis' death where he was dropped out of a helicopter and forgotten about. Lucy, Victor, and Alicia staring somberly into space deadpanning their recollections in the aftermath of both Nick and Madison was laying it on too thick for me. Hopefully we're done with those now and we can move on.

This show frequently seems to not show anyone actually dying. Not showing Madison die, nor her walking around all crispy in the stadium afterwards (THAT would have been a true horror scene and they should have done it) does lend to the idea that she could be back. However if Talking Dead is any indication (like it was for Glenn's fake out) she is definitely off the show.

Off topic:
Westworld takes a heavy mental involvement I'm not able to invest in. There is heavy timeline play where you need to keep track if what you are watching is the present, the recent past, the not so recent past, or the distant past. When the exact same cast and sets are utilized with little difference to clue you in it's hard to follow. I'm still watching it in a sense, but I couldn't tell you the plot line. I'm hoping at some point things will gel and I'll be 'ahhhhh!'

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So, apparently Madison is really dead per the showrunners, and it was not Kim Dickens choice. That's the bad news for an actress who deserved better (apparently older females not the right demographic for leading the series).

I wasn't asked early on: "How would you feel if this is the way it would go?" Basically, it was decided. You don't really have a choice.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-kim-dickens-exit-interview-1119053

But here's the GREAT NEWS... she confirms in the above interview that the HBO's Deadwood revival is ON! So fuck you misogynist ageist FTWD cocksuckers, and bring on Joanie Stubbs! (and I would have been okay if John Dorie died so Garret Dilliahunt could somehow be revived for the series in yet another incarnations).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would guess Yvette Nicole Brown, if they go with anyone. But the ratings for both the "Walking Dead" franchise and consequently "Talking Dead" have been declining rapidly the last couple seasons, so they might use this as an excuse to drop it all together.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would guess Yvette Nicole Brown, if they go with anyone. But the ratings for both the "Walking Dead" franchise and consequently "Talking Dead" have been declining rapidly the last couple seasons, so they might use this as an excuse to drop it all together.
I love Yvette Nicole Brown but I think the job requires a comedian to be able to save a guest who isn't funny and roll with & read a live audience so Tyler meets that. YNB for permanent co-host! :)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well, Hardwick's show "Talking" has been pulled. I'd expect him to be pulled from Talking Dead and his other aftershows too. Kind of sad about this, I liked his style for the aftershows & his other work.

Between this and Andrew Lincoln leaving TWD I am pretty sure I will just drop TWD entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks