What's new

Fear the Walking Dead Season 2 (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'm digging this season. I like that they're basically just floating around encountering things. They do have the goal of the compound in Mexico.

Do you think Strand was just running away of running to get his friend/lover to take back the boat.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Do you think Strand was just running away of running to get his friend/lover to take back the boat.
I can't see a handful of people causing him to totally give up the boat so I'd say he was going for back up. Given that that dude was able to make shots like he did from a moving zodiac, I'd say that Strand was making the right call.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
That was a much better episode, this past Sunday. Finally some conflict. I would criticize by saying it's still pretty early going in the apocalypse for a Negan-like group to form, but there might be some backstory for them.

I was kinda hoping Chris would go crazy on them...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From the mothership, I'd always assumed the entire world fell at once. So it was interesting seeing that Mexico had instituted a flotilla with helicopters to try and keep the contagion on the American side of the border.

Given how little our characters on the main show know about the outside world, it'd be interesting if there were pockets of the larger world that managed to keep things at bay and hold onto civilization.

When the episode opened with Nick swimming ashore naked with his clothes kept dry in the plastic sack, I thought for sure the show was going to flash back to "12 hours earlier'. I was very happy that the episode didn't indulge in that cliched narrative device.

I liked the sick idea of Madison creating fear in the pregnant girl's head that the baby is dead and will be a walker.
Me too. It was a very visceral sort of mental torture, turning something beautiful like a soon-to-be-born child and turning it into the enemy inside you. It made Maddie a lot more interesting.

The other character that started to fall into place was Alicia. With a lesser actress it could have played flat, with Alicia either obviously manipulating her captors or obviously having genuine feelings for him. But with Alycia Debnam-Carey, I really wasn't sure until he hugged her, and you could see her complete coldness behind his back. For the first time, I felt like this character was starting to understand this world.

I can't see a handful of people causing him to totally give up the boat so I'd say he was going for back up. Given that that dude was able to make shots like he did from a moving zodiac, I'd say that Strand was making the right call.

I think Strand is a pragmatist. He did the math, realized he wouldn't be able to avert the situation that was unfolding, so he tried to create distance (and therefore options).

Interesting reveal that "Abigail" was Dougray Scott. Thomas Abigail clearly has deep feelings for Strand. I'm not sure whether Strand has deep feelings for him.

That was a much better episode, this past Sunday. Finally some conflict. I would criticize by saying it's still pretty early going in the apocalypse for a Negan-like group to form, but there might be some backstory for them.
Connor's operation is nothing close to the scale of Negan's operation. But to my mind, at a similar point in time on the East Coast, Negan's operation was starting in much the same way.

I was kinda hoping Chris would go crazy on them...
I love that Chris is like 100 percent ready to kill other humans at this point.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This show really needs to get things going. For me, it's more of a "space filler". Read the paper, cook dinner, it's just something that happens to be playing in the background. I watch as much as possible, even though it's on the DVR and I could replay it, just not really worth the effort. Killing time until TWD returns.

Like the old Kathy Griffin show, TWD is "A" list, this falls to the "D" list. It's there, can't quite put my finger on what's missing, but it's not worth putting a lot of time into. Miss an episode here and there, oh well, nothing to worry about.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
You can count me as a viewer that doesn't like the show at all. I watched the first season and the 3 episodes of Season 2, but so far find it totally lackluster no matter how you look at it. The scripts, actors, etc. I could care less about. I feel nothing for them and don't care, just totally bland. That girly-boy I simply can't stand his character or him interviewed in real life. He almost acts the same way, really weird and girly. I really don't see the show lasting, even with the very limited production. No where close to TWD magic that had me from season 1 of the show.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
So, Alicia steals a knife and never uses it. Madison brings a gun to the prisoner exchange and doesn't use it (and let's her husband fight a guy while his hands are tied behind him). Stand is talking in Spanish about secrets with a Mexican passenger right there...

I thought Connor was supposed to be a big threat and he had what gang on his boat with him? Only Alex! There was nothing intimidating about him at all. Then Pregnant lady locks Alison in the kitchen but there's an open doorway in the back.

Jesse McCartney has been the best actor on this show so far and, well...

I'm continuing to watch, but I'm honestly bored during it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So, Alicia steals a knife and never uses it. Madison brings a gun to the prisoner exchange and doesn't use it (and let's her husband fight a guy while his hands are tied behind him). Stand is talking in Spanish about secrets with a Mexican passenger right there...

I thought Connor was supposed to be a big threat and he had what gang on his boat with him? Only Alex! There was nothing intimidating about him at all. Then Pregnant lady locks Alison in the kitchen but there's an open doorway in the back.

Jesse McCartney has been the best actor on this show so far and, well...

I'm continuing to watch, but I'm honestly bored during it.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but in defense of the Connor thing didn't the one dude say it was actually the brother (the one they were trying to trade) that was the one to worry about? I may have heard that wrong though. Like you I'm not interested enough to rewind or anything.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see other HTF members say what they want to. Not every comment has to be positive. We all have different opinions.

Somebody earlier used the perfect word, "lackluster". I couldn't agree more, it's boring. Even "Talking Dead" seemed lame this week, there was nothing to talk about. It's pretty hard to get Chris Hardwick to shut up, but he even seemed to be at a loss, with nothing to say.

I'm going to try one more episode, but if it doesn't get going, it will be zapped off the DVR schedule.

I think AMC is trying to capitalize on having "Walking Dead" in title, just assuming they'll have a ready-made fan base and things can only go up. Wrong. Things can also go down when a show is so dull.

I'm looking forward to the return of the original TWD and some of the good summer shows like "The Last Ship".

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but in defense of the Connor thing didn't the one dude say it was actually the brother (the one they were trying to trade) that was the one to worry about? I may have heard that wrong though. Like you I'm not interested enough to rewind or anything.

I might be mistaken on something, but Reed (the guy with the pipe sticking out of his chest) said it was the brother they needed to worry about. I assumed that was Connor (the leader). He did say he wanted to hear his brother to make sure he was alive. Is there another brother because Connor was a no-show in the threat department. Of course, we didn't see Connor die, just attacked.

And who was it that shot up that overturned boat Nick was exploring a few weeks back? The assumption it was Connor's group but...

This show doesn't have the clout to pull a Wolves or Neegan scenario. By that I mean tease a thread but have them not show up until the next season. We need to see some danger for these people to keep the show interesting. This show doesn't even have very many walker attacks, and when they do, no one in the core group dies or gets injured.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I couldn't help but think if this were Rick's group, Celia would already be dead.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Wow, that midseason finale was utter crap. What a mess. This show really needs a better editor.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't even know what to think about this show anymore. Everyone seems to have lost their minds overnight. It's like mid way through writing this season they decided where they wanted it to go.

- Salazar went from occasionally hearing his dead wife speaking to him to completely living in his head. He was a great character who has clearly seen and done some bad things, so for him to like this is completely out of character. Additionally we only saw him gassing up one room. I don't know how that turned into the entire village going up in flames in seconds.

- I mentioned earlier that it would be interesting to see Chris go full psychopath but his arc to get there is too sudden. He watches transfixed as his Madison gets attacked, he threatens Alicia when she confronts him about it, then suddenly everyone has Serious Concerns about him. Why he walked into Madison and Alicia's room and picked up a knife is not explained, but it seemed like a case of bad timing when they woke up and saw him. I don't believe he was standing over them fantasizing about butchering them. So, he runs off and now appears to have a completely gone off the deep end. Nothing in his personality so far showed he'd go so far as to hold a family hostage. They could have given us a sequence where he's confronted with another swarm of walkers and he enjoys taking them out.

- Travis... he leaves everyone to go spend more time with his (psychopath son) and to be a better father. What? Where are they going to go? They're in a foreign country; they don't know the area. Why isn't anyone concerned that Chris and Travis have been gone for what appears to be around 18 hours? They're just 'waiting for Travis to come back.'

- Nick lost his mind as well, seemingly brainwashed by Celia's cult thing. That came up pretty quickly as well - over a bowl of pozole.

- How did Strand get back in the complex? One minute he's locked out, the next he's driving around. Did he ram the gates? Where are he, and the girls going? To the boat without everyone else? To look for Chris and Travis?

- Celia gets locked in a room with a bunch of dog-eating zombies, yet I didn't feel any threat to her. She didn't freak out, and the walkers weren't even shown in the same shot with her. How about a shot of one or two of the zombies noticing her and walking towards her. I would say she's not dead yet, but according to Talking Dead she is. Her realization that she was wrong as she's ripped apart would have been appropriate.

Look, when you spin off a series based on a very popular series the audience is coming in with a specific set of expectations. The show is called Fear the Walking Dead. I expected more horror, more zombies, more chaos, not a family drama. Apart from the infected in the basement, there weren't any zombies in this episode. Certainly none that threatened the group. We don't even see Celia meet her end, it's simply implied.

(edit: break up the wall of text)

Last edited:

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Look, when you spin off a series based on a very popular series the audience is coming in with a specific set of expectations. The show is called Fear the Walking Dead. I expected more horror, more zombies, more chaos, not a family drama. Apart from the infected in the basement, there weren't any zombies in this episode. Certainly none that threatened the group. We don't even see Celia meet her end, it's simply implied.
What's funny is on The Walking Dead, the zombies are my least favorite part of the show by far and I often wish they would never even show up in an episode. But with 'Fear' it seems as though the show would benefit from more of them, even for me who despises the whole zombie thing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Everyone seems to have lost their minds overnight.
I can buy any of those three characters cracking under the enormous strain but to have all three go crazy at the same time is just weird. It's like the writers decided to have them go crazy simultaneously to avoid criticisms of repeating themselves if they had them crack up at different times and for the sake of drama in a 'mid-season' finale.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
What's funny is on The Walking Dead, the zombies are my least favorite part of the show by far and I often wish they would never even show up in an episode. But with 'Fear' it seems as though the show would benefit from more of them, even for me who despises the whole zombie thing.

Right! This is a show about the start of the zombie apocalypse and zombies are barely a factor.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't even know what to think about this show anymore. Everyone seems to have lost their minds overnight. It's like mid way through writing this season they decided where they wanted it to go.
Yeah, it was a mess. The writers wanted big developments but didn't want to do the legwork necessary to get there.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Anyone else still watching this show? It is taking me longer each week to get round to watching the episode and I am almost at the point of giving up.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I still watch it but for every one thing I like about an episode, there's something else that I don't like. I'm all for the slow burn but they've taken that to the nth degree at this point and now with breaking everyone off into separate stories (which undoubtedly was done for production necessities), it's not speeding things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks