Fear of underpowering NSP-1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_N, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I have one of the lower-end Pioneer AVR's (the VSX-D509S) and was thinking of picking up the JBL NSP-1 speaker package that is going for so cheap right now. My concern is that even though my receiver is rated at 100 watts x 5 channels, I know that it isn't. I am not sure what it is exactly but probably closer to 50 watts (if someone knows otherwise, please correct me).

Now the N-24's are rated at 100 watts and the N-center is rated at 150 watts. Based on this limited info, does anyone think I should be concerned about underpowering these speakers.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Darren

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Based on Sound&Vision JUL/AUG 1999 Issue Test Report - PIONEER VSX-D498 70w x 5 Benchmarks, which achieved 61 watts Output @ clipping - 5 Channels Driven, you should have no problems with your PIONEER VSX-D509S.

You didn't mention if you have a powered-sub, but adding a subwoofer to the NSP1 brings out the full glory of 5.1-channel sound (having, as it does, a dedicated low-frequency effects channel--the ".1" in 5.1), and it's worth noting that subwoofers not only make a big difference with action films but bring fullness to all program material, whether cinematic or musical. (With a sub in the system, the main speakers no longer have to reproduce bass frequencies, and everything becomes much clearer and cleaner. Additionally, your amplifier can focus on frequencies that are easier to reproduce, leaving the tough stuff to the amp in your subwoofer.)

Phil

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    The item to look for on the Speaker specs is the Sensitivity rating more than the 100 watt rating
    Check this link
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=Sensitivity
    and search the forum for the keyword Sensitivity and you'll get some more info
    Hope this helped

4. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Paul and Phil,

Thanks again for the replies. After reading the posts on speaker sensitivity and going to Phil's website, I think my receiver will be fine with the JBL's. I was just concerned because I've heard that the wattage numbers for the non-Elite Pioneer receivers were highly inflated.

For a sub, I will be using the Sony SA-WM40, which I have heard goes well with the NSP-1. Now can anyone recommend a good set of stands for the N24's? I'm looking for something around 30" high, probably wood construction, and sturdy but I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks again to all at this great forum

Darren

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

For the front channels, I use the Sanus older version equivalent of this;
    Sanus 31" Speaker Stands (pair) Model: BF31B $69.99 @ BestBuy.com
    I use 1" wide velcro strips to secure them on top.
    You can get the same Sanus 31" Speaker Stands @ Yahoo Shopping, starting @ $40.36 - from a 5-Star Top Service website. Usually, there is no Tax, but some internet stores charge alot for S/H, so verify the entire cost (including S/H) before ordering. Sometimes, just getting it @ Best Buy w/tax is the same or slightly less than mailaway.
    Phil

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

In the showroom I've got the NSP1's hooked up to a 40Wpc Harman/Kardon and it has no trouble at all driving them.