What's new

Fear And Loathing (Criterion) Availability? (1 Viewer)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
DeepDiscountDVD backordered mine, even though it was listed in stock when I placed my order. :rolleyes:Perhaps Criterion under-anticipated demand for this title?

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Either the computer thinks* we were sent one when we weren't, or some employee got to it before I could (possible, but unlikely) and has stashed it to purchase later. Or, it could have been stolen, but that's unlikely, too.
Well, even though I looked in every concievable location, I found (and subsequently purchased) the F&LILV:TCC disc today (even though I said I wasn't gonna). It was somewhere where it shouldn't have been, which is my way of saying I overlooked it. :)

Better to prove myself wrong than someone else. :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
DeepDiscountDVD backordered mine, even though it was listed in stock when I placed my order. Perhaps Criterion under-anticipated demand for this title?
Or perhaps DeepDiscountDvd under-anticipated demand. ;)

I preordered mine a few months ago at Amazon.ca with Beauty and the Beast (Criterion). Fear And Loathing was in-stock at street date, but Beauty and the Beast wasn't. :frowning:
Luckily Amazon.ca shipped Fear And Loathing seperately at no extra expense.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
I pre-ordered mine from Digitaleyes.net only a week before the street date, and it arrived on the 19th. They still have it in stock I believe, and it was the cheapest price I could find, since you can get free shipping when you order 3 items. Check out their used section, there are some good deals.

Haven't checked out the whole set yet, but the transfer is a HUGE improvement over the barebones ed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Because this is not viewed as a "blockbuster" title (i.e. Star Wars, xXx, etc.) major retailers may not have ordered many copies per store. The three Best Buys near me were out. However a small DVD specialty store (Laser Blazer) had like 20 copies on the display shelf (at a decent pricepoint of $29.99).

Good luck!

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
The bottom line is that the Criterion Edition of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is a "dvd geek" item...
no offense to anyone but for most stores out there a re-release like this "slips under the radar", most of the people who do the ordering for these stores obviously don't think there would be a demand and as a result, coverage(1 or 2 units) will get ordered. 1) Fear & Loathing is a cult movie - not exactly Lord Of The Rings
2) Criterion is very expensive and lots of retailers don't want to carry to much of any particular title.
When The Last Temptation Of Christ came out on Criterion dvd there weren't exactly hundreds of copies stacked up in towers at your local best buys........
It's beat but thats the deal - I bet y'all have an easier time hunting down a copy of Road To Perdition tomorrow
peace

btw - i have my copy of Fear & Loathing Criterian ;)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Searched all over Austin today not a copy to be had. Was told by many salespeople that the copies they initially received (most had 2-3 but several had 10+) sold out VERY quickly and that they've been having lots of people looking for or calling to check for this title. Must be true because as soon as you mention Fear and Loathing, they ask "the Criterion version" or "the new version". A couple of guys told me that they've been working to get more copies, but their suppliers are not having much luck. Appears the shortage is at the very top. Seems that the demand for this title was indeed underestimated...looks to be a great performer for Criterion.

I'll be calling stores in San Antonio tomorrow to see if one of them has a copy in stock, see if they'll hold it for me, so I might be able to grab it when I travel through on Wednesday. Probably ain't gonna happen though!

JOn

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have checked 4 Best Buys over the last week (in Fort Lauderdale and Orlando)... none of them had it.

Guess I'll just have to order online :frowning:

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Went to another Border's today and they were sold out, too. Tower says they're getting 30 more, but I asked what their price was and they said $34.99... not the $30 I had heard they were charging. So, looks like I'll be going the online route as well. I might even wait until summer on this one. I love the movie and am drooling over the extras, but it's not a "must have NOW" title for me and finances are kinda tight with tax time around the corner.

Cary T

Screenwriter
One of my local store had it for $30. But I ordered it from DeepDiscountDVD.com. I should receive it later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks