FCC Verdict on Superbowl

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Will_B, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Will_B

Will_B Producer

My question is, who does this money go to? Is it donated to a charity?

Surely it doesn't go to the FCC itself -- that would be such a conflict of interest, for the FCC to be deciding something which would be in its own interest?

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The money goes to the Federal Government, so in reallity yes it does go to the FCC.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm just disappointed they couldn't fine Jackson and Timberlake (and Nelly, etc.). They're the ones that should bear the brunt of this, as it was their unnecessarily vulgar antics during a family broadcast event that caused the whole flap.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

But this is America. It's not illegal to expose yourself judiciously (assuming the nipple was cover as it was here), only to broadcast it.

5. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

It goes in the "lock-box." [​IMG]

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I can sort of see them blaming CBS - but now my question is - should CBS take the responsibility or sue Timberlake?

Glenn

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I'm sure CBS is bandying about whether to sue Timberlake and Jackson to recoup the cost of the fine.

8. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

There might be some broad clause in their contract that prevents CBS from seeking damages to offset fines.

Anyway, CBS has to prove intent; they need proof that it was planned.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Now, whether I believe the FCC has any business levying this fine in the first place, what makes the Viacom-owned-and-operated stations liable while the affiliates aren't? They committed the same "offense", and it's probably their viewers who lodged most of the complaints (networks tend to own their big-city stations). If the suggestion is that the O&Os had advance notice, I imagine that would have to be indicated in the report.

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Man! I wish one of my body parts was worth that much! [​IMG]

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I cannot imagine a clause in any contract that would allow you to do something that was illegal (or just against FCC rules, for that matter).

I thought about suing Jackson too, but after hearing several different versions of what happened I'm a little skeptical at beleiving any of them now.

However, I did see Timberlake reach for it. If he had not done that, it probably wouldn't have happened, and that is why I see that it is his fault. If Janet wants to pay half, then ok.

I think the idea behind just fining the stations is that they have the control to block out anything that is offensive, and the affiliates just run whatever they get.

Glenn

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

That would be like suing Michael Douglas for Sharon Stone.

Whatever.

Sad to hear this money will just vanish.

Time to end broadcast tv.

13. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I wish the FCC would give fines for credit-squeezing and those annoying pop-up ads. I find those much more offensive.

14. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

The clause would be there to protect you from being scape goated. For instance, say something more innocent happened, like someone tripped, fell on the ground and said "fuck."

I'm sure their contract with CBS says that their performance has to be acceptable to FCC standards or they'll forfeit their payment, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in there that prevented them (the performers) from being sued so that CBS could recoup losses from a fine. Why else haven't we seen CBS try to pass the blame? What do they have to gain by standing by Jackson? I would think that CBS would try to make themselves out to be the victim in all of this.

15. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

They might have been waiting to see how the FCC decision played out. But they have always maintained from their first press release that neither they nor the NFL had any prior knowledge of the incident and, paraphrasing, it was all Timeberlake and Jackson's idea.

16. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Ugh Im so sick of all of this. Jesus can we just end broadcast television and let the FCC go muddle in like PBS affairs already? Geez, who in their life is gonna go forever without seeing some accidental nudity? I mean seriously, accident or not, who cares? Was any child REALLY traumatized that badly by this? I mean realllly??? Come on people, stuff happens, shoot, if some girl's skirt flies up on a windy day are you gonna sue them??

I just wish people would relax sometimes, I think the FCC should just issue warnings because its clear that cbs got the lesson here and is gonna take the necessary steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. The gov't doesnt really need THAT much more money (...to go send off to Iraq..wait..nevermind, thats another discussion!!)

Mike

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mike, that was great!

The FCC wouldn't have done anything except they got complaints in, and it must have been enough so that they noticed.

But yeah, it just goes to show how stupid some of our laws/FCC rules are. We've all got more serious matters to attend to.

As for CBS, I think they should have had the show on a 5 second delay, so that if anything weird did happen, they'd have time to fix it. After all, there had to be more than one camera on them, and switching to show something else would have avoided the whole thing.

I know what an 'accident' looks like, and that wasn't an accident! If someone falls, however, that's another story. Like the 'boos' from the daughters of the presidential candates last week were barely heard because they had had the brains to turn down the volume. Miss Universe lost her clothes on stage the other day too, but it was all on the TV.

As for the 5 second delay, you would think that they, and just about everything else that is broadcast for the last 3 years, would be on a delay. Can you imagine the horror of seeing? I'll stop there.

Glenn

18. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

So, are Up With People and Pat Boone doing next year's show?

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I wish they'd cancel all the damn shows during the Super Bowl. It's become so bloated with tributes and hyped up performances that the game is now secondary.

I'd rather just watch the game, broadcast as any other regular season game.

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Up With People DID do the Superbowl halftime show in 1982- I've got a Beta recording of it which I've transferred to DVD!
    Didn't see this year's Superbowl as I'm not a sports fan, but if all the fuss was really about a bare breast then it says a lot about people. In Europe nobody would have bat an eye at it. The FCC is useless if they actually did something about this, but are doing nothing about the onscreen logos that have destroyed television as a viable medium (if I were in charge I would address them as a technical requirement that fixed images having nothing to do with the program are not allowed).