What's new

FCC Allows the F* word, rumor or truth? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I was wondering the same thing. They're only words. Who decided "that fucking moron" was worse than "that damn moron"? Either way, you're calling someone a moron. Does it really make any difference which modifier you use? :D

Why people get their knickers in a twist over some random words that someone, at some time, declared "naughty" has always been a great source of amusement. And it's this "naughty word" mystique that makes kids want to start using them in the first place. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i didn't realize nypd used "shit". hmm...

in any case, it's still certainly not as prevalent as...say...bitch is. i remember being surprised when i first heard bitch on tv, now i don't even think about it. it's become commonplace, therefore, it's lost it's "impact".

i'm sure if more cuss words were put on tv, then the rest of them would lose it's impact too. shit would be no worse then any other swear word.

i think america is too uptight.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
i remember being surprised when i first heard bitch on tv, now i don't even think about it. it's become commonplace, therefore, it's lost it's "impact".
Exactly, which is why you now hear mean using "the 'C' word" in cases where they'd likely have said "bitch" a few years ago - because some people still have an emotional desire for a vile insult to apply to women and "bitch" just doesn't do it any more.

This isn't a matter of being "too uptight". If anything it is a matter of having a respect for the power of words. Saying "fuck you!" to somebody used to be the ultimate insult, the last words spoken before fists flew. Now it is practically a greeting thanks to ridiculous over-use. That means to get to where "fuck you" used to be we have to go to even more exaggerated verbal violence.

Basically it isn't a matter of morality or even taste. TV, the great leveller, is just continuing its tradition of dumbing down America. The problem is mostly driven by laziness. If you can't describe a car as "fuckin" awesome, you might actually have to think of a way to convey your appreciation of a car. If a screenwriter can't have a detective say "bullshit" he might have to come up with a creative way of getting the same idea across. This is the same phenomemnon that turned every hostage situation into a "hostage crisis", every woman who ever appeared in a Wal-Mart sales circular into a "supermodel", and every room temperature IQ thug who convinced two other thugs into a botched robbery attempt into a "mastermind". It is sheer mental sloth. (See also the thread on "alot" not being a word. :))

Regards,

Joe

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If you ever visit another country and watch TV, you will understand how "up tight" our television system is.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
As if they haven't heard the words already. I'm beginning to wonder why they are still 'bad' words. What makes them bad?
Along that same line, what is it about words that make some people near orgasmic to hear them on radio or TV? Does it truly enhance the show?

[rhetorical]If it does 'enhance' a product, then why are most of the top grossing movies completly or near-completly devoid of them? Maybe "Finding Nemo" would have doubled it's intake if they would have included alot more offensive language? [/rhetorical]

As out of the 'mainstream' it is, I for one do not watch shows and movies and think "Wow, that would have been alot better if there was just more dirty language" :rolleyes

Chris

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If you ever visit another country and watch TV, you will understand how "up tight" our television system is.
Or you'll understand how "decadent" those countries are. That other countries do things differently than we do doesn't make them "right" or us "wrong". (Nor is the reverse true.) It all depends on your point of view. That there is nudity on Italian or French television is not "evidence" that U.S. television is "uptight" or that we are "wrong" for not having it - anymore than we are "wrong" and they "right" (or vice versa) for any of the other political and cultural differences between us. You only point to the Europeans as "evidence" for your position because they happen to agree with you. This kind of "evidence" "proves" nothing.

Regards,

Joe

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
If you have three weather people giving the weather report on basic TV say NBC.

person one saying the "its not just going to be hot today, its going to be fucking hot"

Person two, female in the nude saying "Its going to be soooooo hoooot today"

Person three giving the normal boring weather report we see every day.

I personally would rather watch the nude female, followed by the bad mouth weather guy. Just my personal preference.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

No, most shows won't be improved by more foul language, but some definitely are. A show like "Six Feet Under" would feel much less vigorous and real if the characters weren't allowed to talk like people talk in real life.

I really don't understand why there is a restriction about which words that can be used. If you can't teach your kid not to say "Hey fucking bitch, wazzup?" to grandma, don't blame the TV.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Patrick, no offense but..

The ruling is aired primarily at fines based on live broadcasts or events, and the inability of broadcasters to always catch (see: MTV Movie awards this year for an example of how to NOT use the button to bleep)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the ruling tossed out fines for so-called "fleeting expletives". If Bono or Mel Gibson loses his shit on national television, the FCC can't punish the broadcaster any more. If dirty words are used during a broadcaster's scripted programming or by the broadcaster's regular on-air talent they can still expect fines.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad this ruling got handed down. Broadcasters can try as hard as they can, but they won't be able to catch every single expletive uttered on the air. Of course, the PTC interpreted the ruling wrongly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks