What's new

FCC Allows the F* word, rumor or truth? (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Is this rumor or true?

Just talked to someone and he says that the FCC has allowed the use of F*** for anytime on TV or radio, as long as its not used when relating to sex.

Hard to believe as I can't find any other information other than this e-mail he showed me.

personally I'd rather see complete nudity allowed, than this. In fact I figured that would have been the next thing allowed.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Where do these things get started?

While I don’t know for sure, I am reasonably certain that if this were the case there would be a considerable mention of the policy change in the press—and a predictable outcry.

Why would your friend think that the FCC changed their criteria?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Just talked to someone and he says that the FCC has allowed the use of F*** for anytime on TV or radio, as long as its not used when relating to sex.
Not exactly. What the FCC did was decline to fine a network or cable channel (I forget which) that ran an awards show without the usual 7-second tape delay. One of the recipients said something like, "This is f***ing awsome." I forget who the guy was, and what awards show it was (something to do with music, I believe), but the incident was reported at the time, although it didn't get a huge amount of press.

When it received complaints and investigated the incident the Commission decided not to impose a fine in this particular case, noting the way the word was used and the spontaneous nature of the outburst. At worst the ruling means that the Commission may decide certain things on a case-by-case basis for live events. It does not represent a blanket change of FCC policy, and does not apply to scripted shows and other debilberate use of the word and its variants. So the cops on NYPD Blue are not going to start referring to "f***ing skel" next season. :)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
By the way, you probably could get away with using the word in a paid political ad for radio or TV, provided the candidate's voice is also heard in the commercial. Years ago when sh*t and its variants were still banned there was a radio ad for Barry Commoner (IIRC) that started with the word "Bullsh*t!" Turns out that FCC broadcast standards rules do not apply to purely political speech in the form of campaign ads that meet the criteria. You can say anything you want in those, and the FCC won't intervene. So presumably you could have an ad today that says, "F*** [insert name of politician you most hate here]" and nobody could lay a glove on you. Of course, it is an open question whether you'd turn off as many voters with your vulgarity as you attracted with your directness.

Regards,

Joe

Ike

Screenwriter
Reading that report, it does sound as if a non-sexual use of fuck is allowed. It's on page three, and I won't retype what it says, but as long as it isn't about sex or "excretory" functions, it isn't within "the scope of the Commision."

So, you could say "fuck" I think. I mentioned this to a friend, and he told me that he was listening to the (OTA) radio, and he heard them broadcast a couple of songs completely unedited with F-bombs in them. I asked him if the F word was used in a sexual context, and he said no. So, I'm going to assume that that's the law now.

That said, I don't care. It's time that TV caught up with what movies have been doing since 1968.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
If I understand this correctly, use of the "f" word will not be punished if used as an adjective or adverb ("F**king brilliant"), but using it as a verb ("I f**ked Heather - twice, but with no love, and never again") is strictly forbidden.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

As will most. They've now set a precedent that will get them sued later on should they try and fine someone for a similar usage.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this to a friend, and he told me that he was listening to the (OTA) radio, and he heard them broadcast a couple of songs completely unedited with F-bombs in them. I asked him if the F word was used in a sexual context, and he said no. So, I'm going to assume that that's the law now.
That's B.S. I can remember hearing Who songs with the F bomb on the radio in the 70s and 80s (and even now on classirc rock stations), the ban on certain words is just not enforced much.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I quote from the website that Bill linked to:

No longer will movies shown on TV have to be edited because of language.
I assume that most movies with foul language contain at least some sexual innuendo and/or violence.

Stop acting like the media controls you. You control the media. If it offends you, turn it off.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i must say i have no idea which 'f' word many of you are talking about. in most cases, you cover up the rest of the word with *'s instead of letters, how are we even supposed to know what you are talking about? :)

anyway, there are plenty of F bombs in radio. and what about the new years eve broadcast of the south park movie on comedy central? if you missed, it, they dropped F bombs just for the sake of dropping them. no censoring of the language whatsoever. the novelty wore off very quickly, as did south park...but how did cc get away with it? did they plan for a surge in viewers and advertising to offset the fines? or did they have no fines against them at all? it was on pretty late, and honestly, they are just words, you hear worse language in middle school. (probably from watching those movies)

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Christ, I asked a question about the "shit" episode of South Park on this very forum and was told that the FCC doesn't regulate Comedy Central because it's a cable channel. I guess the channel can technically say what it wants. Not sure, though. Anyone out there own a TV station? ;)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
No worries, people.

The FCC knows what's good for us. And we can't handle the f-word.

To paraphrase Cartman, "It will warp our fragile little minds"

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I guess the channel can technically say what it wants. Not sure, though. Anyone out there own a TV station?
I don't own a TV station :) , but I understand that the rules are different for over the air (picked up by anyone with a tuner) versus cable (subscription required).

Matt

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I guess the channel can technically say what it wants.
As I understand it, the FCC only regulates what is broadcast over the airwaves that anyone can pick up using the most basic equipment because those signal frequencies are deemed to be "owned" by the public. Cable and satellite do not operate on those open frequencies and require special equipment to decode the signal above and beond a TV with an aerial.

Comedy Central is not a TV station that you can receive over the air via UHF or VHF "public" frequencies. They are strictly cable and satellite. This is why cable and satellite channels can effectively show whatever they want whenever they want. Radio and local TV channels, however, are open and under FCC regulation. (I suppose that they're ALL subject to regulation, but open-air stations - not cable or satellite - are subject to content censorship as I understand the regulations.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks