What's new

FBI issues alert for teddy bears... (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
What could I possibly add to this.

Aside from any danger that may exist, O.K., WAY ASIDE, this is going to be one of my all time favorite law enforcement alerts.

Please resist telling me what an insensitive cretin I am, I already know.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Scene from A CHRISTMAS STORY: 2002

Mom: "Ralphie, what do you want for Christmas?"

Ralphie: I want a 200-shot, propane-fueled Red Hearted Teddy Bear with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time."

Mom: "You can't have that. You'll shoot your eye out!"

- Steve

Ike

Screenwriter
Okay,

I need some background story, if you'll spare it. A news link will suffice.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
When do they start not allowing teddy bears of any shape or size on airplanes?

To some 5 year old in pig tails holding a stuffed bear going through security with her parents:

"Excuse me...we need to cut into that bear."

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
In December I went To Giants Stadium to see a game. I had tickets to my companies luxury box and a reserved parking pass. I brought my son as well as my Dad and brother-in-law. I live in MD so I brought my two young daughters along to stay at my sister's house and play with their cousins. My youngest left her musical teddy bear in the car so I put it in the trunk. I went to the reserved parking area and was stopped at the concrete barriers. Heavily armed (M-16's)State Troopers stopped me and asked for ID and to pop the trunk for inspection. I saw one of them walking toward me in the mirror, holding the teddy bear. I actually started to worry because it contained a metal musical box that no longer worked. Thoughts of him ripping open my daughters favorite teddy bear because I couldn't prove it was a music box raced through my mind. He finally approached me and his serious broke into a big grin when he said, "Excuse me sir, Is this your teddy bear?"

I was relieved, but the rest of the Troopers had a good laugh at my expense.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
It looks like the best copy of The Onion you ever saw.

The fact that you think it's silly, means that it'll work great.

For some enlightenment, go read some of the accounts of stuff like this from the Soviet-Afghan war. The Soviets made bombs into all sorts of every day objects, including toys, for unwary Afghans to pick up. And Afghani children, secure in the knowledge that Paradise and Allah awaited, would cheerfully sell bags full of apples, and a hand grenade or two, to soldiers.

I remember visiting England during high school. This was during a rougher spot of the Troubles. Being a Canadian, where not getting a smile and nod from people you pass on the street is probably the worst thing that'll happen to you on average, seeing a people besieged was a frightening and enlightening thing. Our tour bus dropping us off at Buckingham Palace while cheerfully saying 'we cannot park here, nor can we circle the area, lest the police think we're planning something, so we'll be back after the Changing of the Guard to pick you lot up.' Having our school bags chemsniffed at the Towers of London. Being told to NEVER put down our bags, especially sliding them under our seats, as is common custom over here, lest people think you're depositing a bomb.

Guess what, folks. There are people out there who want to hurt you, for no reason that you would deem rational. Or maybe for reasons you would deem rational. It really doesn't matter; it's rational to them. And some of them can't be talked out of it, or reasoned with, and some of them are willing to die. Ask any security or protective professional, and they'll tell you that the hardest attack to stop is the one that is willing to die to get to it's target.

Or, put another way, one can argue that the Irish terrorists have done more damage to British society than any country that actually declared war.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Guess what, folks. There are people out there who want to hurt you
Yada yada yada...yeah we know all this. But to continue to be afraid and hide in our houses is to admit defeat. I will continue to make jokes about the warnings and I will continue to live my life how I want and not let these idiots ruin it. There is one thing to be vigilant...but it is a completely different thing to be vigilant and constantly afraid. I am not afraid and I will never give in.

Ike

Screenwriter
Okay, who is a little sadistic and wants one of these bears to put up as a collectible?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Want one? I'm going to the 24-hour Walmart down the street and buying up the same things to see what happens.
:D
- Steve

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I recently purchased 300 rounds of 12 gauge shotgun shells at Wallymart. I wonder if the goverment is going to pay me a visit now? :confused:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
At dinner this evening, my niece brought along her Valentines teddy bear.

I made sure to sniff it for propane and frisk it for BB's.

- Steve

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I was listening to Talkradio WABC, and it was mentioned. But the ironic thing was the fact that a caller stated that Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim last Sunday played that same episode in reference to the exploding teddy bears.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Wow, beware if you ever purchase a Teddy Bear for your little girl and some BB's and propane cylinders for you BB gun at the same time :D

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
My mind just took this a whole different direction. Any Trek fans see the DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode?
Dax: "When he sat down on that tribble, I was sure it was going to explode!"
Nearly pissed myself laughing.
Didn't help that for the next week my girlfriend and I were making rude jokes about the poor tribble that got a bomb stuffed up its (censored). The poor, tortured squeaking sounds we came up with sent us into giggle fits every time...:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks