faxing problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Keith_R, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I'm having some fax problems and am hoping that maybe someone can help me.

I have an HP Officejet 5510 which is an all-in-one machine. I don't fax much so I'm simply using my homephone line. For some reason I can't seem to fax to certain numbers from the damn thing and am instead getting an operator's voice saying: "I'm sorry but your organization has restricted this type of call". The machine will dial and try to connect but than I get this stupid operator's voice and it won't fax. I'd say this seems to happen on 85% of faxes I send but it doesn't happen with every number, certain numbers work fine with no hitch. Likewise I can try the same fax from work and it will go through fine.

This is really frusturating as right now I'm trying to fax out an important document to get my medical liscense back and I'm getting this damn error, it would be really nice if I could fax this rather than delay it by doing snail mail.

Anyone else have these problems? how can I fix it? I've tried disconnecting my answering machine while faxing, and playing with the machine's settings but no luck. Is there a cure?

Thanks[​IMG]

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    1. What happens if you simply pick the phone up and dial one of these numbers?

2. Do all of the "restricted" numbers have anything in common? State? Area code?

3. If you get the same result dialing from the phone, chances are there is some kind of actual restriction on your out-going line. Call your phone company and find out if this is the case. (Maybe you have some kind of odd-ball parental control or restriction that you engaged without meaning to or even knowing it.)

If you get a fax tone when you dial these numbers from a telephone there must be something in the fax machine settings. Something may be altering the number actually dialed. (An "8" or a "9" to access an outside line, for instance.)

Don't forget, the recording is coming from the phone company, not the fax machine, so while something in your home may be triggering it, nothing there is actually the source. If you're sending to legit fax numbers then your phone number actually has restrictions or your fax machine isn't dialing the numbers you think it is.

Regards,

Joe

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

Thanks for the tips. I just tried dialing the number from my home phone and it went to the same error message so I guess I need to give Bellsouth a call and see if there is something that they can do.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Oh, you should just have said "Bellsouth" in the first place. I could have saved a lot of speculation. They did something stupid and now have to undo it. Whatever they did, you certainly did not ask for it, they just screwed up.

I've actually been happy with Bellsouth's service for DSL, local and long distance, and cellular (through Cingular.) Once they get things up and running, everything works fine and I have very few complaints. But in 16 years as a Bellsouth customer, 16 years of ordering new service, moving house (4 times), adding and upgrading features like DSL, they have never once managed get an order right the first time. Not one time in all those years. And some of the things they screw up take weeks or months to straighten out.

For one move where I was taking my old phone number with me, they were supposed to do the cut-over on the day of the move. Instead they turned off the service at my old home four days before the move. They insisted that the only way they could restore service was by giving me a temporary number because my current number had "already" been moved to the new address - where it would ring unaswered since the place was empty and I couldn't get the keys until I met the owner's agent at the closing on the day of the move. Then they took two days to get the temporary number connected. When I moved into the new place I could make but not receive calls - because they had gone ahead and cancelled the move of my old number to the new place when I first called to complain. It was a week before I had normal phone service and another week before my DSL was reconnected.

When Bellsouth acquired Cingular I took advantage of a bundle deal to switch over to home DSL networking and a wireless gateway/router. Instead of upgrading my existing service they created a 2nd DSL account on the same phone number and started sending all my correspondence to the "new" e-mail address they had generated - which they never bothered to tell me about. Because the "new" service came with a 60 day free promotion, I didn't notice the problem until the third month, when my DSL bill suddenly doubled. [​IMG] It took another month to get that dropped, and two more to get the charges, late fees and penalties reversed.

I now tell people that if they want Bellsouth to do a job right, they have to give them the order wrong. (Their latest fiasco involved selling me a wireless "G" upgrade and shipping me exactly the same wireless "B" gateway. When I complained I was told they don't offer wireless "G" to residential customers, and have no plans to do so. I asked - not unreasonably, I thought - why then they had said "yes" when I asked if the new router was wireless "G". "Because it is wireless G compatible. If you have wireless "G" cards in other devices they can communicate with our gateway." Then the customer service rep transferred me to technical support, explaining that they handled returns. (Even when the return was the fault of the sales dept. either lying or not knowing its own product.)

When I talked to the tech who gave me my RMA he said that they were going start offering wireless "G" to home networking users on July 18th and the sales dept. should have known that. He could only book orders two weeks in advance, so he couldn't enter an upgrade request for me at that point, but he told me to call tech support around the 19th or 20th and seemed sure I'd be able to get the router. We'll see.

A this point I tell people that if they want Bellsouth to do a work order right they have to give it to them wrong. [​IMG] So if I had to guess who is to blame here, I'd pretty much bet the mortgage check on you-know-who.

Regards,

Joe