Fawlty Towers: no reviews???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenA, Oct 7, 2001.

1. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

This is the release of the year for me, and I'm anxious to get some inkling of how the discs are.
    My main concern is that the R1 set is on three discs while the UK version is on four. Maybe this is just due to the different storage requirements of Pal vs NTSC, but if, as somebody suggested a while back, there are any omissions (such as deleted scenes) from the R1 discs, I'll be very disappointed. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by StevenA on October 07, 2001 at 04:03 PM]
    [Edited last by StevenA on October 07, 2001 at 04:04 PM]

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm also interested in how these fared, as the laserdiscs were a bit disappointing with a number of horrible artifacts present.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

3. GerardC

GerardC Agent

As fas as I know the region 2 set has 3 discs too: that's the info I got from where I ordered it.

4. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Does anybody have the UK release yet? I thought that was out on Oct. 8. Is it 3 discs or 4?

5. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Small question... are these DVDs (region 1) in keepcases?

6. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

I'm very confused by how these are being released in UK (region 2) I've seen these in the shops now and there are two keepcases available:
    Series 1 (2 disks, all 6 episode's, x's: New Interviews With The Cast, Commentary, Torquay Tourist Film, Photo Gallery, Deleted Scenes)
    Series 2 (2 disks, all 6 episode's, x's: New Interviews With The Cast, Commentary, Torquay Tourist Film, Photo Gallery, Deleted Scenes)
    Coming 19th November:
    Fawlty Towers Series 1 & 2 (3 Discs, The 3rd Disc is Completely Devoted To Special Features, Over 2 hours worth...(will include Never Before Seen Footage/Outtakes, Trailers, Commentary, Photo Gallery and more...)
    This information is from www.play247.com & is pretty much backed up by www.dvdstreet.infront.co.uk
    Any ideas?, my best guess is that the 19th November version has exactly the same content as the earlier one's but is on three dual layer disks instead of 4 single layer disks.
    Better guessing or information would be very much appreciated as I'm sure I'm not the only person who wants the best version at the best price.

7. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Thanks John!
    Now I'm getting even more concerned about whether we will be getting all of those extras (2 hours +) in region 1!

8. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

This is from an announcement 4 days ago (www.r2-dvd.org):
    Fawlty Towers
    Double DVD Digi Pack
    Complete Series 1 And 2
    BBC Worldwide is now releasing Fawity Towers Series 1 and Series 2 in one double DVD digi pack, with sorne fantastic extras included. The DVD.'s have been completely digitised and the outside film sequences fully restored.
    SERIES 1
    - interview with John Cleese;
    - interview with Andrew Sachs;
    - commentary by producer john Howard Davies;
    - Torquay Tourist guide - a funny mini-documentary on the Gleneagles Hotel which was the inspiration behind Fawlty towers;
    - artist Profiles;
    - who's who guide to the characters;
    - illustrated book With photographs.
    SERIES 2-
    - interview with John Cleese;
    - interview with Prunella Scales;
    - commentary by director Bob Spiers;
    - previously unseen outtakes;
    Basil Fawlty introducing a trailer for not the nine o'clock News in 1979;
    - artist profiles;
    - who's who guide to the characters;
    - Illustrated book with photographs.
    The Set will be priced at £34.99 and will be released 19th November.
    ------------------

9. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I have the R1 version and here's more or less the contents:
    4 episodes per disk
    Cleese interview on each disk - about 16, 18, and 18 min. long - respectively
    Disk 1: Visit to Torquay - about 11.5 min
    Short on grange after fire - about 2 min
    Disk 2: Interview with Sachs - about 24 min
    Disk 3: Interview with Scales - about 8 min
    Outtakes - about ?? min
    Each disk also has a feature of clips from the shows edited togther by topic (example: customer service) - maybe 8-10 min
    My PC crashed several times when viewing the extras, so I got tired of rebooting and didn't get all the times.
    Disk 3 wouldn't play at all on my Sony 7000, but all would play on my PC.
    Sorry no more details but it's really late here and I didn't see this topic until too late.
    The colors and detail, at least, look good, especially after the awful versions I'm used to on my PBS station.
    There seem to be a lot of artifacts on my PC, but may just be the PC - this is the only DVD I've ended up playing on it.
    There are commentaries on each disk, but I haven't had time to check them out.
    The packaging is an awful three-fold from which it is almost impossible to extract the disks!
    [Edited last by LarryH on October 15, 2001 at 02:25 AM]

10. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I just saw these at a local street-date-breaking vendor, and I have a question... It seems like there were two versions of Fawlty Towers (R1). There are 3 individual discs that are each sold in keepcases. These are available seperately. Then there's the "box set" with all 12 episodes, but it appears to be in a packaging similar to "The Simpsons Season 1", and it's only the thickness of 2 keepcases.
    Should I buy the box set? I can't imagine that they'd put more information on the individual discs (since they were more expensive). That would be a pretty cheap trick.
    Kind of disappointing, I hoped that the box would be 3 keepcases, like Toy Story or Brazil. Of course, just having Fawlty on DVD is enough for me, so I can't complain!
    ~Bob

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

My tri-fold Fawlty Towers thing arrived today and I'm pissed. Under the clear plastic for the second disc, over the watercolor cloud background was a nasty white security tag. (Why a security tag when buying from an online-only vendor?) As I find these things hideous, I attempted to remove it as gently as I could, only to find that the adhesive was so strong it ripped the paper the artwork was printed on.
    I've filled out the contact form at bbcamericashop.com asking for a replacement security-tag free case.
    What's really annoying is there are two wide white cardboard areas between the three clear plastic parts this annoying security tag could have been placed, but they chose to place it in a hard-to access place ON TOP OF ARTWORK.
    ------------------
    Support the Home Theater Forum -- Buy Something!
    Visit Planet Earth (and other tourist traps), my daily webcomic!

12. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

I have been anticpating the release of this for a while. It is also currently due for Region 4 as well and I am still decided which version to buy (PAL/NTSC difference doesn't bother me). If anyone has a review of the R2 I would be interested in your impressions as it is most likely the same as the R4 (which I will wait for if it is equal to the R1 counterpart)

13. andrew markworthy

I *think* that the extra disc in the upcoming R2 boxed set is simply a compilation of the extras in the separate series issues.
    I've got my copies of the separate discs on order and will let you know what they are like when they arrive.
    [Edited last by andrew markworthy on October 21, 2001 at 02:44 AM]

14. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

That annoying security tag will probably be found on all copies. My copy that came straight from Warner Bros in Canada had it too. Just accept it, it's not that bad, (it's not wise, but there it is).
    Here's a full low-down of the specs and comment on the 3-pack set.
    I personally love it. I can't bear to watch the commentaries, because I'd much rather be watching the show, and they don't say much anyway. But that's not the reason you'll be buying the set, and the interviews with John Cleese are excellent.
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The box set had made my short list - until I saw the packaging. Now, this set is in limbo, as I hate that cheap cardboard case, and am not going to pay an extra $25 to buy the three keepcases.
    I have yet to see anyone really rave about the video on this either. I have the LD box, and that was pretty piss poor. Had the box been a proper 3 keepcase set in a sleeve, they would have had my money.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

16. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

I have to say I quite like the packaging: slim and quite elegant (except for the damn hubs!! [​IMG] Just like the Akira ones, getting the disc out is a dangerous process!!)
    Anyway, the video is not bad imho, considering its PAL to NTSC. I am just in Heaven now that I can enjoy these masterpieces on DVD, and the extras look very interesting (haven't had time to check them out so far).

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Steven,
    Those hubs are rather easy: press the center button firmly and the discs come out easily. Note you can only pull it on the two upper indentations (the lower two are "closed off").
    Cees
    BTW: Mine too had the security tag on disc 2! [​IMG]
    C.