Real Name
EricJ

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
DaveF said:
We should just lock the thread, because there's nowhere else to go after that video. It's everything awesome ever, in 11 minutes.
Think there'll ever come a day when the next generation of stoners reference kitschy 90's things, like Titanic, and Seinfeld, and Scream movies, or is that pretty much the cultural cutoff point right there, and it'll basically be GI Joe, Battlestar Galactica and Electra Woman & Dyna Girl jokes for the next twenty or thirty years on in?
And by 90's, I mean, apart from just Jar-Jar.

(Adult Swim: The scariest anti-drug ad on the air. :blink: )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watching that video, I was wondering when that will happen. I look forward to the equivalent video in a decade, referencing Friends, X-Files, Buffy, and ER.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
DaveF said:
Watching that video, I was wondering when that will happen. I look forward to the equivalent video in a decade, referencing Friends, X-Files, Buffy, and ER.
Well, that's just it--Unlike Superfriends reruns, 80's movies and Diff'rent Strokes, there's very little about 90's TV for socially sheltered Rip-Van-WInkle stoners to feel symbolically superior to, in the form of cheap shared pop-refs.
In fact, the rest of us...kinda miss it by now. I was even missing some of the 70's shows. :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I see where you're coming from. But I think there's a commonality enough for parody in the 90s. There was a lot of sci-fi with (to modern eyes) mediocre effects (ST:TNG); a lot of serialized late-night adventures (Xena), and high-minded drama (ER), and best-ever comedy (Seinfeld). And there's the kids stuff that I was too old for, like Power Rangers and Nick and Night. And this still pre-dates the fracturing from the web, Netflix, and commonplace DVRs.

But the 2000s and on, that could be different. There are touchstone shows. But it might skew more towards movies, as pop culture TV is getting more fragmented.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I see snowflakes on the site. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbKjDjMDok&list=RDtbbKjDjMDok

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks