What's new

Favorite Xbox live games? (1 Viewer)

Martin_Frohlich

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I hope this is not a repeat thread but I did a search and couldn’t find anything. I am getting XBOX live hooked up tonight and wanted to get some feedback on what people’s favorite games are. I have NFL 2k3 and hope to play that online if everything goes smooth. I also ordered Mech Assault and that should be delivered later this week. I have never played games online before but the wife says she will pick me up one or two games for Christmas. I wanted to get Unreal championship but I have heard there is some slow down with 4 or more players. What about Ghost Recon, is that fun on-line? What about others I did not mention. Any help would be appreciated.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Unreal and Ghost Recon are about as different as two shooters can get.

Unreal is a fragfest; run-and-gun, jumping, dodging, rounds flying everywhere.

Ghost Recon is slow, methodical; 1-hit kills, team-based; more strategy and more of a thinking man's game.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
I love Ghost Recon on XBox Live! The teamwork experience is awesome with other HTF members. Highly recommended!:emoji_thumbsup:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Having ordered MechAssault I think you= may find Unreal to be kind of superfluous. Your fast paced action craving can be fullfilled with your Mech:).
Ghost Recon is the more enjoyable online experience of the two games IMO. AS Masoon mentioned its slow, methodical and a thinking mans shooter. Unreal Championship didn't do anything for me personally but as always give both a rental and try them before giving a buy. Best judge is always you:).

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Also, consider MotoGP (the full version) and NHL2k3. If you're into either superbike or hockey, these are pretty damn good games. Obviously you have the online version of MotoGP with the Live! package, but the retail version has so much more, including the chance to build your own custom bike, which you can use online. I'm just starting to play hockey online, but I definately like this game better than EA's NHL 2002.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
You can also see what games for Live everyone here at the HTF has by clicking this link. Also check the post pinned to the top of this forum titled HTF Xbox Live Gamer Information, it should help give you a feel what games people here play.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand the love for MechAssault. I tried it with friends in a LAN setup and it lasted for about 10 minutes. Then we all just ripped out the disc and moved on to Unreal which we played until we were too exhausted to continue. Capture the Flag, Double Domination, and Bombing Run are all great variations of the same theme, which MechAssault seem to totally lack. What am I missing? Where is the fun in multi-player MechAssault?
Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, my vote goes for UC. :) It's IMHO one of the very best looking and enjoyable games for the box (if you like almost mindless fragging). The FSAA makes it look incredibly smooth.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Just buying Unreal today, I'd say that is lacks some of the polish that the original ut on pc had...that includes the promised custom soundtrack(which was easily done back then on pc)....i'd go with a mechassault/ghost recon combo

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Steve,

The key in your post is the word LAN. UC gets very laggy on Xbox Live with 8+ people, whereas MA can host 8 people with almost no lag at all. This has kept me from buying UC yet, maybe I'll rent it to give a try.

I vote for MA, fun single player game and a whole lotta destruction on XBL. Plus, with Microsoft starting new content downloads in January, it just gets more and more fun.

Ghost Recon and NFL2K3 are good as well, I have heard.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
NHL2k3 is also good if you like hockey. I just got XBL on saturday and have played a few games of NHL and have had no lag at all and a lot of fun

My mech assault and Ghost recons are still waiting to be tried

capt

DwightK

Second Unit
Steve, my reason for the difference is I cannot abide twitch quick, instagib battles. In MA each firefight is deliberate with weapon options, defenses, terrain, etc. In Unreal, each battle is over in an instant where level memorization is of paramount importance as is twitch aim reflex. I'm too old for that.
That said, I like MotoGP best online:)

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, while I did play UC on a LAN, I play it almost every night on XBox Live. Sometimes it gets choppy for a short while. Needless to say, it's very annoying when that happens, but it's so rare that I wouldn't qualify it as a problem. Of course, YMMV.
Dwight, your criticism is not entirely accurate IMO. While UC has frantic gameplay as its core, the battles in CTF are not over in an instant (at least not in general). I have played numerous games that finally timed out after 60 minutes or more. Also, the complexity of some levels is key to developing winning strategies, so I prefer them much more over simple maps. Finally, I'm pretty confident when I say that you're certainly not too old. :D
Anyway, that said, I second MotoGP. That demo left a very good impression on me. Once I get tired of that other game ;), I'll pick it up.

TimE

Auditioning
My XBL preferences are:

MotoGP
Ghost Recon
Unreal Championship
NBA2K3
Mech Assault
MotoGP

I listed MotoGP twice because I always come back to it...GR is a close second though.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
MotoGP is the only game I play now. Can't get enough of it. Got my ranking down to 68 and I'm hoping to continue to go lower.

Leo_P

Second Unit
My favorite XBL game right now has to be Unreal Championship. I LOVE playing CTF with teams of 8:emoji_thumbsup:. To me, it's what online-gaming is all about!
OTOH, I've been a little underwhelmed by Ghost Recon and MechAssault. Mind you, I thought I'd like both of those games more than UC, but that's not the case. In MechAssault, I'm a total bullet sponge. Those mechs just don't move fast enough for me:frowning:. Ghost Recon's alright, it's just a little boring at times. Maybe I should hook up with some of you guys, so you can show me the ropes.
Plus, I have Splinter Cell and that's taking up a lot of my gaming time. Now that is a SWEET game. Frustrating, but SWEET!
Then, of course, I still haven't finished MGS2:S or The Thing...
Mo' video games, mo' problems:D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks