Favorite / Worst Oscar Host

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Christou, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    erm Whoopie! Goldberg looks like being Oscar host this year, hmmmm,[​IMG] she's ok, but not one of my favorites, I prefer Billy Crystal, I think he was a great host, I still remember him coming on stage as Hannibal Lecter in a straitjacket, classic stuff![​IMG]
    Steve Martin tried his best, but the show itself was crap last year, Russell Crowe looked like he was going to unleash hell on his ass.
    For future hosts, I think Michael Myers as Dr.Evil might be a great idea, riiiighhht...[​IMG]

2. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm not much into Whoopie. Steve Martin was cool - a notch below Billy Crystal. And...contrary to most everyone's opinions, I thought David Letterman was highly entertaining.

Uma...Oprah...Oprah...Uma. A classic.

Jon

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Steve Martin was my favorite of the past few years, although Billy Crystal is generally quite good. I think Letterman's stint was a LOT more entertaining than people seem to think.

4. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I loved Letterman when he hosted, although Billy Crystal is without question the most consistently entertaining. I could not stand watching Whoopie host a few years back. It was extremely painful to watch.

5. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

Out of the hosts I've seen, Billy Crystal is definitely my favorite. Steve Martin did an admirable job last year, as well. Whoopi Goldberg, however, was horrendous a few years back and I pray that she'll be replaced at the last minute for this year's show.

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Billy Crystal was good but I loved it when Johnny Carson hosted. He was class while Billy is funny as hell. Letterman sure sucked at it. Uma, Oprah, Uma, Oprah. Brutal!

7. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I simply can't stand Whoopie. So unfunny. I thought Steve Martin did a damn fine job. But I still think Letterman was the best [​IMG] Nothing better than a bitter old man hosting the Oscars.

8. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Whoopie was dreadful....the worst! Ellen did a nice job on the Emmy's. Billy is always good. I don't remember Letterman. :b

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I second the Conan O'Brien offering. Or maybe Pimpbot could host.

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I am of the Carson generation, that's kind of that[​IMG] .
    I think in the days of Carson, there is more of a sense of a "host/MC" for the Award, whereas post Carson, there is more and more of a sense of comdian/showmanship centered around the host/hostess. Does not mean that's bad, just different.
    As an example. through the Carson years, I can't remember anything that Carson "did" during the Awards, exception for his occasional brilliance in handling unexpected situations, whereas people always talked about "Did you see what Crystal/Letterman/Martin/Goldberg... do at the Oscar?"