Favorite Wines

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren H, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I was very disappointed to discover yesterday that, in all of our preparations for our Thanksgiving meal, my wife and I had forgotten to pick up a bottle of wine. By the time I realized that we had forgotten, all of the local liquor stores were closed (no wine in grocery stores in Tennessee). So today I'm off to stock up and am looking for suggestions. What are your favorite wines? It might be helpful if you also list a rough price for each.

Thanks.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    My favourite wine? Hmmm, "When are you going to have a baaaaabyyy?". [​IMG]
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm not really a wine guy but the house red at Pagliaccis is very tasty. I also love the bottle for Pesci Vino, horrible hobo wine but cool bottle.

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I have really grown to love Port Wine! It goes great with a nice cigar. This type of wine is quite a bit stronger than normal red or white wines, so be warned!

Its about $15.00 for a decent brand. Give it a try!

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

A good cheap wine is Australia's Rosemount Estates Traminer Riesling. From Australia, its the tastiest Riesling from the wineries. Whether they still make it or not is beyond me, I haven't had any in probably 4 years. Back then though I used to drink it all the time. Its a sweeter wine than most from Australia and at about 10 bucks a bottle you can't go wrong.

Also, theres a wine from Australia called Ben Ean. Excellent wine. I'm no wine fanatic so I won't bother trying to describe it. But it has a real laid-back taste that doesn't make you look at the bottle all funny. Anyway, its quite good and isn't much, about $12.00-$15.00. Canadian dollars of course.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    You don't want to ask about my favorite wine. It's Chateau Margaux. You can get a recent vintage for about $300 a bottle.

Reasonable wine: Ravenswood Zinfandel "Sonoma" for about $15. Like a vintage port that actually goes with food.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

On my recent trip to San Francisco and Sonoma, I visited the Benziger family winery and found a really good wine. It's called Carneros Chardonnay (2000) and it costs about $15 at finer liquor stores.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My favorite is the Late Harvest Reisling from Iniskillin

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Personally, I prefer beer, but I'm pretty open to drinking wine. My question is, what are the basic guidelines for selecting wines? What goes with pasta? What goes with fish? What goes with steak? I'd really appreciate it if I could at least get the basics down (no need to delve into Frasier territory here).

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Baby Duck. I'm not a wine drinker but that's the one I pick.

10. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

You don't wanna get me started on wine....if there's one thing I obsess over even more than my DVD collection, it's my wine collection! Just drop me off in Napa or Sonoma Valley, and I'll be set for the next week or two!
    If you're looking for a nice, pleasant red wine that's not too tannic (the bitter, puckery feeling you get in your mouth after drinking some red wines), and definitely not too expensive, the way to go is French Beaujolais. It's a wine made in a section of France right next door to Burgundy (an area even the non-wine-drinkers out there may have heard of), and it's well-known for fruity, easy-to-drink reds that generally cost from $7-15 a bottle. Generally go for the newest vintage you can find (they don't generally age well, with only a few exceptions), and as far as producers go, you only need to remember one name: Georges Duboeuf. He handles most of the Beaujolais produced each year, and the number of different bottlings he markets is immense, but just about any of them will be sure to be at least drinkable, and oftentimes a real find.
    If you're a white wine drinker, the list of chardonnays put out around the world is so long that it'd probably crash this server -- a crowd-pleasing fave year after year has been Kendall-Jackson's Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay, which runs about $10-12 a bottle, if memory serves. If you'd like a white with a touch of sweetness (and less of that toasted-oak-barrel vanilla flavor in most chardonnays these days), I'd go for a riesling from Washington State or California or New York. Oftentimes a better match with food than a chardonnay, and much better wine-snob cachet. [​IMG]
    Any HTF'ers got wine-related questions, drop me a line. I'll bore you to tears with it if you let me!
    (Andrew -- the Inniskillin Ice Wine is great stuff indeed, but I somehow doubt the average wine novice is likely to plunk down the necessary pesos, don't you? [​IMG] )

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yeah doubt to many are going to try ice wine for fun[​IMG] That said if you get the chance to try it its well worth it but be forewarned its very sweet since its a desert wine.
    Mark are you into making your own wine? I've made quite a few kits incl an Ice Wine kit that turned out fantastic

12. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    My pick for this Thanksgiving was an Australian Shiraz. The Aussies produced a better red grape than California did for the 1998-2000 bottlings.

13. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Andrew -
    No, I've never tried DIY wine; figure I take up enough space in my apartment with the pre-made stuff, can't really afford to stick a fermenting/aging barrel in there as well....[​IMG]
    Peter -
    Actually, my current personal favorite wine is Aussie Shiraz. If your state allows it, I highly recommend joining the Syrah-of-the-Month Club from The Grateful Palate, a specialty wine-and-foodstuffs importer here in Southern California. Dan Phillips, the proprietor, handles much of the smaller-production, wine-press-darling Shiraz you read about, and after joining his club, you get a different bottle of Syrah (almost always Aussie so far, though I got one French bottle a couple of months back) in the mail each month. A great way to try the small producers of this great stuff.
    That said, as I was the de facto wine supplier for Turkey Day again this year, I opted for a Shiraz and a California Zinfandel (buy American! rah rah rah!! [​IMG] ). No complaints from anyone at the table this year!

14. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I've been into the wines from Chile lately. The Santa Margharita special reserve merlot is quite good for about $15. The Cabernet is good too, but a bit bolder.
    I also can recommend anything from Clos Pegase. They are a bit pricey but well worth it, imho. I'm also part of their wine club at www.clospegase.com .
    I can't say too much about whites because I'm generally not a fan of them. Not a fan of the pink wines, either.
    If you go to a decent liquor store with a big wine section, the manager there will typically know a bit more and will be able to give you a good suggestion. You won't get this from the grocery store.

15. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

a nice local red mailed from my buddies in Ardeche [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan

16. MikeGeary

MikeGeary Auditioning

I'm another Aussie Shiraz fan. My favorite cheap one right now is the Barwang Shiraz for about $8/bottle. I've also been enjoying a the Vicente Gandia Hoya de Cadenas that Whole Foods has for $7-8/bottle.

-Mike

17. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Thank you for your suggestions. Quite by coincidence, I ended up buying an Australian Shiraz (actually, a Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon blend) the afternoon after I started this thread. I'm anxious to try it.

Mark (or anyone else), I have a more specific request now. I'd like to keep two or three bottles on hand at all times now -- wines that will improve with time and that will go with a variety of foods. I tend to prefer the drier red wines. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

18. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Contrary to popular opinion, most wines DO NOT improve with age. Those that do tend to be higher quality reds of a complex nature like a select Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon or Port.

In my humble experience:

Cabernets and chardoneys from California are wonderful

Barolos and barberescas from Italy are simply amazing, though generally more expensive (currently my faves)

Alsacian Reislings are also very nice, and much drier than their German counterparts.

19. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My girlfriend and I were very pleased with Berringer Estate Reserve Merlot from 1998. It can be found for < $10/bottle.

-Chris

20. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I tend to think that wines that sit in my basement for a couple of months taste better than the day I bought the wine. I always keep a couple of bottles handy. I also have made a good merlot that does get better with age. But I will agree that most of the everyday wines will not last long, say over a year. If you want to store and age some good wine, you will be paying big bucks for it.