What's new

Favorite subwoofer demo scenes (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I know this thread has happened many times here at HTF, but in my searches I haven't found it. Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing...

Anyway, I've got my structured wiring contractor coming over in a couple days to add some phone jacks to my house, and I was hoping to give him a demo of my new IB subwoofer. When I told him about what I was planning (the IB) he didn't seem convinced that it could/would work. I want to knock his socks off since this sub blows doors so much.

Great general surround would be nice, too, I have an Outlaw 950 with full 7.1 surround.

I was wondering what would be a good demo scenes, particularly scenes that go way way low like down near 20Hz (which my IB has absolutely no problem with). I have the following in mind:

"Darla" from Finding Nemo (very dramatic)
Highway Chase from Matrix Reloaded
Plane Crash from Mission:Impossible 2
Balrog from LOTR:FOTR extended version dts-es
Train Station from The Long Kiss Goodnight DTS LaserDisc

Admins if you want to move this to polls that's fine but I think it will get more (and more appropriate) responses here.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Philip,

Check SVS's waterfall charts. They've recently added some new ones including Finding Nemo, Matrix Reloaded, LOTR, etc.

Also, check The Bass Archives. RudiB's website charting some different choices.

This thread has some additional visual charts posted by MingL here at HTF.

I think it's nice to see all of the bass content so you know what you're hearing and what you're not. Lots of variety between all of these. Have fun!

JKS

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Black Hawk Down has some sub bass in the 5-8 region IIRC and Haunting DTS is simply amazing.

Still IMHO the best of the best as of late is:

Titan AE(can pick it up at Walmart for $6)
Open Range(gunfight at the end).

In addition, I would consider going with Toy Story 2 and on the Toy Story Boxset there is a trailer for Monster inc where he bangs on the door and that will probably give him a heart attack as it did me almost. THe bass was simply intense.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Titan AE ice field? I've got the first Fox Demo Disc, maybe that would be a good one to check out.

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
I have a couple for you:

Children's movies (?) Finding Nemo-when the sub slides down and stops just before crushing Nemo and Dory.

Monster's Inc.-a few in here, but right in the beginning when the dinosaur crosses the street. And many when the little girl laughs-great stuff here.

XXX - the avalanche

U-571 - the depth charges

The Matrix - just after the lobby shootout when they put the bomb in the elevator-nice one here too...

David

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It outperforms my expectations, which were extremely high to begin with. It completely rules over every sub setup I've ever heard, and I've had a dual SVS system in my house for a demo once.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The opening scenes from the movie and the ice fields are incredible for bass.

Another good one : Casper DTS (on dvd now or Laserdisc). The wrecking ball scene.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I watched Underworld the other night and I must say that the whole movie was a lot of bass. It was one of the loudest and most bass driven soundtracks I have ever heard. I had to actually turn my system down a lot for this movie. The bass in all the fight scenes was great and louder than ever.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
Fight Club-all the scenes listed on the SVS website
Monsters Inc.-Sock Scene
Attack of the Clones-first two chapters with the ship flyover and explosion, THX intro
all the ones on SVS website are good too.

eric

RussD

Agent
try planet of the apes--at the beginning after the chimp "crashes", wahlberg and the chimp walk down the hall to lab. there is an infrasonic drone, at one second intervals. it continues until the ship loses power. very impressive!

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
All listed above are very good.

One that no one ever mentions is Resident Evil.

The elevator drop scene at the end of Ch. 1 is awesome.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to ditto blade II as being one of the best and loudest dvd's i've ever heard. I would also recommend
reign of fire is alos sweet on dts

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Minority Report- When they use the stun guns in the car factory.

Matrix Reloaded- When Trinity is falling from the high-rise (near the end of the movie)

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
The club scene in 25th Hour can be used to demo your subs
pace-n-rythm ability. There are a few bass notes that are loud, deep, and most important in regards to pace-n-rythm:
fast.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Surround effect movie of 2003:

"Darkness Falls" not just a great sub movie, the best use of surround effects, panning and seperation that I have ever found. There are times that they use both sides and fronts together to place sounds in areas that you have never heard in your setup. Rent it first and you will see what I mean.

Average horror movie, best sound I have ever found!

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks