What's new

Favorite Studio - DVD-wise (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
mine is Anchor Bay... all of their releases just scream of quality and they pay needed attention to some of the great lesser-knowns of the film world (mostly horror :) )
Fox comes in a close second.
what is everybody else's favorite studio for DVDs?
------------------

bebop.jpg

Get Sea Lab 2021 on DVD!
My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba da ba Bebop Cola...yeah" -Sealab 2021

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
1- Fox
2- Dreamworks
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
My list keeps changing. It use to be Columbia/Tri-Star, and I still like most of there stuff. I think Warner is putting out some beautiful transfers, but they don't really support DTS.
Fox puts together some good supplemental material, but I don't think they are real consistent with their transfer quality.
I still look forward to any release done by New Line!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion Collection of course!
However, if we're restricting it to studio's, i.e. someone who releases films theatrically, I'd go with Warner Bros. They may not put out much but what they do is top notch.
New Line is up there as well, but I only bought two disc's from them this year.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
1. Anchor Bay Entertainment
2. Warner
3. MGM
4. Criterion (the lower ranking due to the fact that they are only available as $50-80 imports here in Canada)
5. New Line Cinema
------------------
Link Removed

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
In no particular order, my favorite DVD studios are...
-Anchor Bay (titles I own from them: "Supergirl", "Reform School Girls", "Crimes Of Passion", "The All-Nighter")
-MGM (titles I own from them: "Spinal Tap", "Silence Of The Lambs", "Misery", "Moonstruck", "Rollerball", "Spaceballs", "No Way Out")
-Artisan (titles I own from them: "Earth Girls Are Easy", "T2", "Basic Instinct", "Total Recall", "Lock-Up", "The Doors")
-Warner ("Lethal Weapon", "The Goonies", "Network", "Little Shop Of Horrors", "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure"...I look forward to purchasing next year's DVD release of "Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird"...but only if it's in OAR widescreen!)
I also own titles from Universal, Fox, Image, Rhino, K-Tel, Arista, New Line and Palm Pictures.
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"
[Edited last by John Kilduff on November 13, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Fox
For being the last studio to enter the DVD market, there is no doubt that Fox has the utmost commitment to quality presentations. The Five-Star collections, releases like Fight Club, reissues of older titles to include an anamorphic transfer and dts sound, all give proof of their hard work.
Kudos to Fox!
icon14.gif

------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well just about all of them have been turning out outstanding product as of late, so I really couldn't say, i'll have to think about it.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
O.k., i'll have to say FOX. Simply because they did THE best 180 turn around of all the studios since Peter came aboard.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Fox--two of my favorite films (Zardoz, The Day the Earth Stood Still), uniformly excellent transfers, and a Marketing Department (and senior VP, he knows who he is) that truly cares what the enthusiasts think.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Dreamworks, bar none best for video and sound. They did Chicken Run, The Haunting and Gladiator. Three of the four discrete DTS-ES titles. They also did Shrek and Antz, two of the best video DVDs ever.
Disney is a close second with a lot of the cartoons they have released.

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is still New Line. Fox would be number one by far if they time-coded their extras and dropped the annoying promotional intros.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Fox
- The Five-Star collection is excellent, and their non-Five-Star collection is even good as well (eg. Something About Mary and Fight Club)
Columbia Tri-Star
- Some of my favorite movies are from this company, and they give them some of the best special edition treatment (eg. Lawrence of Arabia and Glory).
Universal, Dreamworks division
- Universal generally is extremely mediocre, but the Dreamworks division is fabulous.
They're not technically a studio, but they put as much effort in extras, restorations, and presentations as much as anybody else: Anchor Bay and Criterion Collection.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I would have to say FOX, but they need to release a The Thin Red Line special edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks