What's new

Favorite silent movie? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Easy: Battleship Potemkin, by Sergei Eisenstein. When watching this pioneering exercise in montage, one doesn't even notice the fact that it's a silent film. Brilliant--especially that celebrated "Odessa Steps" scene.

Pascal A

Second Unit
Mine is a close tie between Victor Sjostrom's The Wind and F.W. Murnau's Sunrise, followed by Carl Theodor Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc and Yasujiro Ozu's I Was Born But....

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Well, two of my favorites were already mentioned, "Napoleon" and "Potemkin." Actually, "Napoleon" was the first that came to my mind.

So, I think I'll pick "The Big Parade" -- it's a terrific, entertaining film that doesn't often get mentioned, and it stars John Gilbert, who was a first tier star at the time, although he also doesn't get mentioned a lot anymore. Saw this film on the big screen with a live orchestra and an in-person introduction by John Gilbert's daughter, who penned her father's biography. Needless to say, it was easy to understand why this was a huge hit in the late 1920s.

Runnersup: Buster Keaton's "The General," "Wings," and "Ben Hur, a Tale of the Christ." All these films prove that lack of sound is no detriment to artistry or entertainment.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Anyone around here who knows me at all likely already knows what I'm going to say...
The General

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Metropolis is a great choice.

My fave is City Lights.

And another goodie is Silent Movie.

I saw Potemkin once, in a film class. I should check it out again.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
The Wind, La Boheme, The Big Parade, City Lights -- it's too hard to choose just one.

Rob

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I haven't really seen enough silent films to make an informed decision, but I'll go with The General for now.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc
Others would include:
The Wind, Nosferatu, The Last Laugh, Steamboat Bill Jr., Sherlock Jr., The Gold Rush and Broken Blossoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks