What's new

Favorite Scenes for Demonstration Of Home Theater (1 Viewer)

At the specialty Home Theater store where I am employed we have this discussion quite often.

What are the best scenes to demo to customers to present Home Theater.

Several swear by "Streets of Chicago" from "Driven" others prefer the deep scenes from "U-571". Some are partial to "Club Silencio" from "Mulholland Drive"(an excellent Spanish cover of Crying by Roy Orbison), "Gone in 60 Seconds" gets used often along with the THX and dts versions of "Super Speedway". I know one sales associate who only uses the podracing from "Episode I" which must get quite old.

Thoughts?

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Matthew
I also work in retal, Circuit City, and i also work in the audio department. My favorite demo has to be the pod racing scene in star wars epidsode I. Everyone loves it and it has great sound. The rears are constanatly working, giving you the feeling that you are right in the middle. I also use the light saber scene because of the bass it porduces. The sub is constantly working on that scene. Another demo we use is Final Fantasy.
Another great demo I think is The Others. There is one scene that is great with the voices all over the place and then all of sudden the sub hits you.
I hope that helps.
Najib
www.roninonline.com

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Another great demo sequence is the ice crystal sequence of TITAN: AE. The image quality is very good and the sound mix is spectacular.

-greg

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've always been partial to the Lobby Shootout + Rooftop scenes of The Matrix.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
There are several good demo scenes from The Haunting DTS. The T-Rex breakout scene on the Jurrasic Park disc(DD or DTS)is great also. Then there's always the opening of Toy Story 2. That one is a great rated G demo.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
U-571 of course! The depth charges, the destruction of the american sub, and the finale are all the main showcase scenes in my home, then the star wars lightsaber battle. After that I move along to the first race in Fast and Furious. If the people I am showing this are not impressed, I pull the secret weapon, the DVD so feared by my friends and neighbors that I almost never use it for fear of causing an earthquake....
Haunting in DTS-ES, the ultimate in bass! The creaking pipes chapter has a good shock factor to it, but the scene where the bed comes alive, then the ceiling tries to eat lily taylor is one of the most amazing scenes for sound ever.

Saving Private Ryan is still reference stuff, but I rarely ever use it due to the graphic nature of it.

A new one I have been using is CC:The Rock, mainly the green smoke chapter, or when the first rocket is fired.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
Some we use...

Lobby scene in the Matrix
First 5 minutes of Toy Story 2
Flying scene from Out of Africa (my wife's favorite)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
The Pod Race in TPM (LD version), U-571 "Depth Charged" (DTS), first 5 minutes of Pitch Black (DTS), various scenes in Blade (DTS LD), and first 5 minutes of TS2. Those are my favs.

Oops, I left out Titan AE "Ice Field" 1 & 2.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
The first 8 minutes or so of Pitch Black. I must've seen it about 20 times and I still get shivers just thinking about it.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Saving Private Ryan DTS, Toy Story 2, Sleepy Hollow and North by Northwest.

All of these are frankly superb.

I just bought Behind Enemy Lines(dts), and SAM Attack is quite good, especially on a front projector. Also nice is the scene of our main character running through the trees, the tracers whizzing by and hitting branches has caused more than one customer to reflexively flinch.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
The launch sequence from Apollo13 (chapter 13) is not bad (family friendly too) and the opening "Night Club" scene from Blade (not family friendly)

Most of the stuff from New York in the beginnig of Armageddon will push a subwoofer, same with ID4

Of all of them I think I like Apollo 13 the best. The launch has a very pronounced score, and good bass. IMHO Most stores crank the bass to cartoonish proportions leading people to believe that Home theater is the video equivalant of "rollerboomer" car stereos. This scene works the bass while not letting you forget that there really is more to great audio than just the biggest sub you can buy. Play this scene, and I'll almost guarantee the upsale on the mains.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
Airplane crash in Fight Club
Bare knuckle fight in Snatch (chapter 27)
Neo and Morpheus sparring in Matrix

I guess I just like fights!

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Star Wars: Episode 1 - Pod Race
Gladiator - Opening war scene

I also have a DTS demo disc.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
(jumping in):
i love Jodie Foster's entrance to the 'device' and subsequent trip in 'Contact' for intense sound and visual bombardment

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks