What's new

Directors Favorite rock'n'roll movies (1 Viewer)

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
Film is a great art form, but it becomes even better when it incorporates another great art form like rock and roll. Here are five films that are essential to anyone who loves rock and roll:

A Hard Day's Night-The greatest rock band of all time giving great performances in a genuinely funny film. This guarantees the top spot.

This is Spinal Tap-If you don't like this one, I can only say "lick my love pump." :laugh:

American Graffiti-Okay, it's not about a rock group, but the soundtrack is an integral part of this film.

Almost Famous-The 70's were generally a musical wasteland ("You Light Up My Life" anyone?), but some great stuff came out of the period. This movie makes use of that great stuff (no Springsteen or Floyd in the film unfortunately). Lester Bangs, no argument about your disdain for Emerson, Lake & Palmer and The Doors, but what were you thinking praising the Guess Who?

Pink Floyd-The Wall- Yeah, the punks hated them and Roger Waters' self-pity can grate, but who cares? I'll take "Animals" over "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" any day.

Those are my favorites, but keep in mind I haven't yet seen "Gimme Shelter," "Help," "Chuck Berry-Hail, Hail Rock and Roll." I'll also add that had the stuff from the Led Zeppelin DVD been released in the 70's instead of "The Song Remains the Same," it would have been on the list as well.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Great choices, Dan!

I'd go with Glitter and Detroit Rock City and....

:laugh::laugh:

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane has its fair share of fans, though I'm not really one of 'em. Recently I've seen a few low-budget "grrrl-band" movies like Down and Out with the Dolls and Prey for Rock and Roll...though those would hardly challenge any of your Top Five.

La Bamba and Great Balls of Fire! fill their own Rock & Roll Biopic niche fairly well. Oliver Stone's The Doors is a pretty good movie.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head

The Kids are Alright - Forget A Hard Days Night, this is The quintessential Rock film IMO

Almost Famous

Pink Floyd The Wall

The Doors

Dazed & Confused - fantastic soundtrack, captures the mood of High School in the 70's

Gimme Shelter

Song Remains the Same - I like it but I'd say it's for fans only

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Hands down ... DAZED AND CONFUSED

ROCK'N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL, mostly because it was inspired by the school where I went to (and the Ramones as well), Forest Hills High School.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The Last Waltz: all-time fave
Almost Famous
This is Spinal Tap
Stop Making Sense

The Doors is fun, if somewhat heavy-handed in spots. Kilmer is great.

I like Pink Floyd but have never warmed up to The Wall. I recognize the artistry of it, and that's about it.

I dig U2, but I think that most of Rattle and Hum is embarrassing. I also think the Radiohead film (? title) is a joke.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
For live performances: "Monterey Pop", "Gimme Shelter", "The Last Waltz", "Sunshine Daydream", "Stop Making Sense", "Ziggy Stardust"... "Bob Dylan: Don't Look Back" isn't exactly a live performance film, though it does include live performances, but I'll list that here, too. Same goes for "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart".

Narrative films: Hedwig and the Angry Inch, 24-Hour Party People, Almost Famous, The Wall, Spinal Tap, Velvet Goldmine, Dazed and Confused.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. (BTW, the soundtrack was full of no-names but it was most excellent.)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Hard Day's Night
The Wall
American Pop
Don't Look Back
Gimme Shelter
The Doors
Yellow Submarine

Bobbi*L

Agent
Streets of Fire
Eddie and the Cruisers II
Rock Star
Almost Famous
Phantom of the Paradise
American Graffitti
The Rose
Super Fly
Easy Rider
Woodstock

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks