Favorite Rock Movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAW, Dec 30, 2001.

1. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I can't wait for Criterion's 3DVD set on this seminal rock music movie.

What are your favorites over the years ?

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Not necessarily in order of my favorite...

"Expresso Bongo"...somewhat of a cross between "Sweet Smell of Success" and "Loving You". Starring Lawrence Harvey and UK Rock n' Roller Cliff Richard, this fiction film, gets to the heart of the Rock Success Myth, than any film I've seen. Smarmingly charming in black and white, it's about the underbelly of fad promotion more than music...the essence of what Rock And Roll is all about. No holds barred !

"Don't Look Back"...skimming the surface of the enigma that is "Bob Dylan", it's a great period piece that really gets into the essence, if there is one, of Dylan. Great cameos by Albert Grossman and Alan Price, who's purpose as Court Jester during the tour is illuminating too. It shows that Dylan was real.

"Gimme Shelter"...a haunting slice of post-Woodstock USA, and it's film noir tinged take on the Stones, is more probing than any straight on examination or expose'.

"Mad Dogs and Englishmen"...life on the road in the sixties with a great band. Totally ignored when it came out, and it's still ignored. Best moment is the recital of "Face on the Bar Room Floor" by producer/promoter Denny Cordell, as he mezmerizes the youngsters!

"Let It Be"...I love the confrontation scene(s) between George and Paul...before that we all thought being a Beatle was all that. If you go further and listen to the raw session tapes, you get some better music, as most of it was left on the cutting room floor.

"The Kids Are Alright"...great music clip film, lots of great archival footage, with timely wraparounds of some of Keith Moon's last performances.

"Rock and Roll Circus"...a magnificent failure.

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I would also nominate something more recent..."The Filth and the Fury", director Julian Temple's story of the Sex Pistols...featuring full band involvement and tons of footage he shot himself back in the late 70's. Fascinating stuff.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Well, if you'er gonna go with Filth and Fury, don't leave out Sid & Nancy, which is great, if not alltogether accurate. I take it we're not limited to documentaries here?
    Rock & Roll High School
    Spinal Tap
    KISS Meets the Phantom - Heh heh, no, I'm not kidding, I want this one. [​IMG]
    Pink Floyd at Pompeii - Criterion, please??

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

-The Kids Are Alright
    -Rock N Roll Circus ( just for The Who's performance... [​IMG] )
    -Woodstock
    -Dan B

6. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Phantom of the Park - WOW. I'd take Detroit Rock City

instead - hehe.

Mine are ...

Woodstock

Gimmie Shelter

Spinal Tap

Sid and Nancy

and Almost Famous.

7. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I second and third, "Filth and the Fury"...love the concept of Johnny Rotten talking from the shadows, and it's the best history lesson of the meaning for that era of music. For more Sex Pistols in concert, get the Japanese DVD issue titled "Winterland Concert"....I really enjoy seeing that Sid Vicious video of "My Way" even the fiction take of it in "Sid And Nancy" the now out of print, Criterion DVD issue, though...this issue has the complete Grundy Tv interview as an extra feature, that's fun to watch over and over!!!!

I'd love to see "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle" on DVD...I have a bootleg copy on VHS and it's a real gas to watch! Julian Temple really did a great job of putting together the animated and real life footage into a maddening collage that recreates the feel of the Sex Pistols music and their anarchy.

"Spinal Tap"...great conceptual, fictionalization right down to the music videos, that captures the essence very well!!!

"Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii"... I have the Japanese 2 VCD set of this in MPEG video format. It's OK...it's better than nothing at all...but I'd love to see an "Anthology" film take on the group, wouldn't you ?

"Woodstock" still holds up after all these years.

Additions....

"Phantom of the Paradise"...I picked up this recent DVD issue cheap, and was blown away by the great music and the story. I understand the CD is just available in Canada at the moment, but it will be available soon in a, hopefully, remastered, mini LP format from Japan soon. Get it, you won't be disappointed. A cult favorite, but it deserves more mainstream interest.

"Concert For Bangla Desh"...Classic music performances that still hold up today. It's currently available in DVD format from Japan, semi-officially, if you know what I mean. Soon the CD will be remastered and issued too. The charity aspect was fake, but the music is real and still holds up on it's own. That's saying alot for these superstar concert things.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Rusty Cundief's brilliant "Fear of a Black Hat" is my personal favorite.

9. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Philip, I went to Allmovie guide to get the lowdown on this title of yours, could you tell us more of why it's so good ?
    Here's the link, everyone...
    http://allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll