What's new

Favorite reviews of 2014? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
What were titles you most enjoyed reviewing this year, whether because of the writing of it, the film itself, or some combination?

For me, out of about 30 reviews this year, it would be:

Edge of Tomorrow AKA Live.Die.Repeat. – Very entertaining film and I liked the comparison I made to video gaming, that I haven't seen any other review make.

Iron Sky – Super silly film, with lots of outlandishness to describe.

Sorcerer – An overlooked gem of a film, if there ever was one. I always appreciate being able to spread the word about something that should have gotten more attention.

Honorable mention would be the Veronica Mars movie, mainly because of my own fandom.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Great topic, Cameron. Looks like I did 31 reviews this year and of all of them I would say the three that stand out to me are:

The Long Day Closes: This film was superb and I think brought out the best of me (writing-wise.)

Noah: Sometimes I find myself on the other side of popular opinion (though not alone,) and I felt compelled to research more thoroughly the subject of Noah when doing this review. I remember reading through it one last time before it went live, checking for grammar and spelling, and thinking that I read like a defense of the film even though I gave it just 3.5 stars. Still reads that way to me at times, but I am pleased with how I covered quite a bit of ground (the review is long though, probably too long.)

George Washington: Another review for a Criterion title I had never seen, but was pleased to recognize a number of locations around the city near me (Winston-Salem, where I worked for a few years.) I think what I am perhaps most proud of in this review, similar to how you were happy you found something to say about Edge of Tomorrow that you had not read elsewhere, Cameron, is sensing a theme of ruin in the film but, after reading several national reviews of the film after I posted mine, not seeing that theme identified by others.

Honorable mentions would be watching and reviewing the final two seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the gargantuan Twin Peaks box set and prequel movie.

I might have one more review to post before the year is out (making it 32 for 2014,) but I need to watch some special features first :)

Happy New Year everyone!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks Neil. I will have to check out The Long Day Closes.

Your link for Noah goes to that title though.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Cameron Yee said:
Thanks Neil. I will have to check out The Long Day Closes.

Your link for Noah goes to that title though.

Oops - I fixed it

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Cameron Yee said:
What were titles you most enjoyed reviewing this year, whether because of the writing of it, the film itself, or some combination?

For me, out of about 30 reviews this year, it would be:

Edge of Tomorrow AKA Live.Die.Repeat. – Very entertaining film and I liked the comparison I made to video gaming, that I haven't seen any other review make.

Iron Sky – Super silly film, with lots of outlandishness to describe.

Sorcerer – An overlooked gem of a film, if there ever was one. I always appreciate being able to spread the word about something that should have gotten more attention.

I meant to add that, based heavily on your review, I picked up the Sorcerer Blu-ray, though I have yet to watch it

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Matt Hough said:
Since my two favorite movie genres are musicals and mysteries (I'm sure none of you have picked up on that), here are my two favorites from this year:

All That Jazz

Witness for the Prosecution
I had read your review for All That Jazz back in August (and it's a great one) but just now read the review for Witness for the Prosecution. Very good stuff.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...maybe this now calls for a "least favorite" thread. :D

Generally speaking, I tend to feel the most writer's block when it comes to high profile releases that have already been discussed and covered ad nauseum. Or titles where you need to figure out if it's worthwhile to spend much time on.

First one that comes to mind is Step Up All In. I won't link to it to spare you the pain. :)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This is actually a great thread. At some point with everyone's permission could we move it to a public area? I could lock it if you didn't want any public responses, or could leave it open. Feel free to say no, its just very interesting to see inside the process that each of you go through.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'd be open to making it public, but my only concern would be appearances of a mutual admiration society. So maybe remove the posts where we are complimenting each other. It's bad enough we are complimenting ourselves. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cameron Yee said:
I'd be open to making it public, but my only concern would be appearances of a mutual admiration society. So maybe remove the posts where we are complimenting each other. It's bad enough we are complimenting ourselves. :)
Yes, I think Cameron is right about that.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I agree with Cameron and Matt (and now I've gone an added a post that would need to be deleted) :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I am still thinking about the review that I wrote last year that I am least pleased with/proud of. With all the time pressures (work, family, etc.,) sometimes the ticking clock can make me write a review quickly and I'm not pleased with how it turns out (my points get muddled or it just doesn't flow the way I want it to,) but often I hold the review back to give myself time to work on it.

Nothing worse that the thought of someone taking the time to read my review and get to the end of it saying "So, was the movie any good, or what!" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks