What's new

Favorite production company logo? (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This one is not one of my favorites due to the dated synth sound... the jingle was itself derived from a 1979 work by Andy Clarke titled "Moog Statement 14"...

~Ben

Addams-Family-Tv-Show-Opening-Credits-addams-family-5705196-768-576.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This thread has had me thinking about how I used to watch TV growing up. The habits, the hours spent in front of the television and the enthusiasm I would feel for every show.

Some of my happiest, most nostalgic memories come from those times. I was born in 1967, so my childhood TV was made up of three networks, three independent stations and two public television stations. The networks were reserved for evening viewing of first run shows. The PBS stations were mostly seen in elementary school where we actually watched The Electric Company, Zoom and a show called The Metric System during school hours.

However, my fondest TV memories stem from the afternoons post-school, weekends and summers when the schedule was open to me like a book. Star Trek, I Dream of Jeannie, Family Affair, The Brady Bunch, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Gilligan’s Island, Get Smart, and so many other shows formed my love of 1960’s television. And we watched them from start all the way through the end credits, logos and all.

This is why logos wound up being so important to me. They harken back to those simpler happy times, when Screen Gems, Desilu, Five Star, 20th Century Fox and ITC provided so much escape. I don’t think later generations really appreciate how much the relics of those prints mean to some people. I mean, nothing says Christmas to me like the Rankin Bass logo music. Or the CBS Special Presentation just before A Charlie Brown Christmas came on. Even though CBS used it to introduce any special, it was always ties to Charlie Brown for me. While these specials get airplay every holiday season, if the logos aren’t there, it’s not complete. Nowadays, it’s rare to even have complete end credits over broadcast. Even most of the nostalgic channels omit them (Me-TV thankfully keeps them along with the logos, as do one or two others).

These days, I have 90% of the shows I loved on home video and it’s great. But over time, ownership of shows have changed or corporations updated their brand, so the logos are different. However, luckily some have been restored: I Dream of Jeannie brought back Screen Gems, Lost in Space has the original Fox logo again, but sadly, you won’t find Screen Gems listed on Hanna Barbera shows anymore.

My mom always said there was more to life than TV, but it was such a huge part of my growing up, the S From Hell or even the V of Doom are welcome trips into my past.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The first few are the ones I remember from Andy, I think...

Ah, yes... Viacom! Sadly, as Viacom had been a syndicator for the most part when these logos were seen, most of them are not available on DVD because of replacement with either newer syndication-related logos (CBS Television Distribution to name but one) or with the original CBS TV Network logos. Even their TV production company logos (from the late '70s to the late '80s; namely, any of the logos pre-1986 not saying "A Viacom Presentation") are scarce on the medium.

~Ben

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, I thought of that just before I read your post. You're almost never going to see those logos on anything going forward. I'm happy people post them on You Tube at least.

The Four D Logo at the end of Barney Miller was another favorite of mine.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Universal Television, which had its origins going back to the 1950s in both MCA Television and Revue Studios, has mostly managed to dodge logo replacement on reruns and on home media, thus bucking the trends set by its competitors Paramount Television and 20th Century-Fox Television, among others.

This user even managed to cobble together all the various Universal TV logos seen on one of their most popular mystery-drama franchises...

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
These Paramount Television logos are rarer to obtain on DVD...
20190729-03.jpg

20190729-05.jpg

20190729-04.jpg

20190729-08.jpg

The first three you see were taken from Here's Lucy (season 1, 1968-1969). The fourth one was taken from The Immortal, for it was seen on the 1969 TV movie pilot episode. This did appear on two season 4 episodes of Mission: Impossible (specifically, "The Controllers: Part I" and "The Controllers: Part II") and one season 3 episode of Mannix (specifically, "Missing: Sun and Sky"), but they were all replaced by the CBS Television Distribution logo before their release on DVD.

20190729-15.jpg

20190729-16.jpg

The above two images were taken from The Brady Bunch season 2, episode 1 ("The Dropout"). This variation without the Gulf+Western byline did appear on the bulk of the 1969-73 episodes of Mission: Impossible and the bulk of the 1969-75 episodes of Mannix, in both cases with varying logo themes, but all were scrubbed before being released on DVD.

While the later 1969 jingle did appear on the aforementioned Brady Bunch episode, this logo is also available, in rougher shape, on The Magician: The Complete Collection DVD, on the spring 1973 TV movie special, which has the standard 1972 jingle.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
These Paramount Television logos are rarer to obtain on DVD...
View attachment 61217

View attachment 61218

View attachment 61219

View attachment 61220
The first three you see were taken from Here's Lucy (season 1, 1968-1969). The fourth one was taken from The Immortal, for it was seen on the 1969 TV movie pilot episode. This did appear on two season 4 episodes of Mission: Impossible (specifically, "The Controllers: Part I" and "The Controllers: Part II") and one season 3 episode of Mannix (specifically, "Missing: Sun and Sky"), but they were all replaced by the CBS Television Distribution logo before their release on DVD.

~Ben

Looks like Columbia Pictures Television in the 80s was not the only studio to be bylineless!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This Paramount logo is the one I know and love the the most. For me Stark Trek isn't complete without seeing this at the end of every episode.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This Paramount logo is the one I know and love the the most. For me Stark Trek isn't complete without seeing this at the end of every episode.

Is there a particular reason why that more modern CGI Mtn. epitomizes Star Trek to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks