What's new

Favorite Old School 70mm Cinemas (2 Viewers)

JWC1969

Agent
Real Name
Jim
In suburban Chicago, the three best for 70MM in terms of screen size and sound were: Golf Mill, Old Orchard and, the best of the best, Edens in Northbrook, IL (home of Ferris Bueller), specifically Edens 2. Huge curved screen, sound not to be believed. "The Right Stuff" was off the charts there back in 1983. "Raiders," the original Star Wars trilogy, you name it, that was the place to head. Vivid memories not only of the image but the sound, the discrete surround and the incredible low-end. (All blow-ups of course.) Saw nice 70MM blowups of "The Abyss" and "The Untouchables" and "ET" at Old Orchard. ("Dick Tracy" too?) As for downtown, in the late 80s/90s/early 2000s the place for 70MM was McClurg Court. Incredibly large screen in the main theater. Saw a 70MM blowup of "True Lies." Also showed an actual 70MM of "Vertigo" back when Mr. Harris and co. completed their work and it was released to great fanfare. Also, all theaters mentioned are gone. (Sigh.)

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
Cinerama Auckland NZ. Such a classy cinema for its era in its own minimalist design and was always something special to see a movie at, especially 70mm. Can't locate a screen image though. Crimson side opening curtains to match the seats.
BF983A3E-CA55-42E5-8A79-401EA329A0EE.png
15294E9B-4EF0-4ACC-A628-D8F62BF6CCBC.png

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Great photos-thanks for sharing them. The cinema was on the first and second levels of the building. The ticket box was on the ground level , under the stairs and one had to walk upstairs to the auditorium. No lifts in those days. The Cinerama installation took four months. Note the side projection booths that were hanging from the upstairs ceiling. The curtains were the standard Cinerama red colour used in most Cinerama cinemas, I understand. The Cinerama screen was rather small compared with many others that I saw in the USA and Australia. When I get around to it, I will dig out my file on Cinerama in New Zealand and put it online with a short story on the three Cinerama installations in New Zealand. HOW THE WEST WAS WON only screened in Cinerama in Wellington in 70mm-not 3-strip. That was several years after it was screened in 35mm where I worked at the King's cinema in Wellington. I have a list of every Cinerama installation in the world and brief details on each cinema. Too massive to put online however.

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
Great photos-thanks for sharing them. The cinema was on the first and second levels of the building. The ticket box was on the ground level , under the stairs and one had to walk upstairs to the auditorium. No lifts in those days. The Cinerama installation took four months. Note the side projection booths that were hanging from the upstairs ceiling. The curtains were the standard Cinerama red colour used in most Cinerama cinemas, I understand. The Cinerama screen was rather small compared with many others that I saw in the USA and Australia. When I get around to it, I will dig out my file on Cinerama in New Zealand and put it online with a short story on the three Cinerama installations in New Zealand. HOW THE WEST WAS WON only screened in Cinerama in Wellington in 70mm-not 3-strip. That was several years after it was screened in 35mm where I worked at the King's cinema in Wellington. I have a list of every Cinerama installation in the world and brief details on each cinema. Too massive to put online however.
I thought those side projection booths were speakers installed inside them, but it makes sense now that they were there for the original 35mm 3 strip Cinerama projection presentations. Personally, I'd rather see a flat screen 70mm presentation, especially if a genuinely shot 70mm film. The flat screen at Auckland's Cinerama was probably the widest out of all the Queen St. Cinemas and still looked impressive. I'd say around 19 - 20mtrs width.

I always had in my mind that the main projection booth was in the stalls, yet it appears it was up in the circle. Unless they had a platter system installed in the stalls booth in the center. As a kid, I was more interested what was projected in front of me, not from behind me......:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88