1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite music and speakers used?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Nov 12, 2001.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I'm just curious, what kind of music do people here listen to most, genre, band, whatever, and what kind of speakers do you use? brand, tower or monitor, model # of your mains?
    Never thought I'd read the "polls" section of the forum, but look! two posts in one night!!
    ------------------
    McPaul.

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Interesting topic I must say. Something that I too am rather curious about.
    These days I find myself listening to more and more country. Call me a hick, but there's something rather peaceful about the lyrics and music that I enjoy immensely. I'm still a rock and roller at heart so I'll never stop listening to my favorites- Rush, Dave Matthews, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Van Halen and the few songs that my current band "Redd Shift" (Redd isn't a typo) has on CD. Yeah I realize that's somewhat self indulgent, but I really love the stuff we write. It kind of grabs you by the booboo. [​IMG]
    Oh, I have JBL home speakers but I really don't listen to music that much on them. They're mostly used for home theater. I do the majority of my music listening on my truck system. Alpine, Clarion, Rockford Fosgate, and JL Audio.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
    [Edited last by Kevin Potts on November 12, 2001 at 10:11 PM]

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I listen mainly to film scores and classical, but I'll listen to some rock and pop occasionally. My speakers are the mighty NHT 3.3s.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

I listen to any and everything but Rap and Country both of which make me [​IMG]
    I have Klipsch Reference Series speakers.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have gone through many phases of music listening. I get into the groove of a new sound and buy up a bunch of discs. Eventually, it wanes and I pick up on something else. The good news is that I still enjoy the music and have come to conclude that I like just about "everything".
    The kick I have been on the last year or so is that of a folk-rock sound. I know exactly where this comes from(it has been over 10 years in the making), the day I purchased REM's "out of time". Its amazing how good that folk rock can sound, that whole accoustic thing can be incredible. I love detail and I hear much of it in Julie Millers "Blue Pony".
    The speakers I use are Mirage OM 10s wired to an overly bright amp. I preferred the softer sound of the sony but am looking forward to the day when I get a good 5.1 reciever.
    But by then, I'll probably be listening to something completly different.
    ------------------
    you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

6. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
  7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My musical tastes vary from R&B, latin, hip hop, dancehall, and jazz. My speakers are the PSB century 300i used in conjunction with the subsonic 6 for music.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'm into a jazz phase now. I've been collecting various types of jazz music and I play them on my music only system that uses Norh 5.2 speakers.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

9. Seung Kim

Seung Kim Agent

I will be one of the oddballs out there. I love Classical and Progressive Trance Techno.
    From Beethoven to Paul Van Dyk will do just fine!
    I have Martin Logan Aerius i's as mains and Sunfire True Subwoofer.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Lately with all the crap going on in the world; I have been on a Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band , Harry Nilsson kick...both make me smile and not a lot does that right now
    If you like Monty Python you'll probably like the Bonzos.
    I have mostly KEFs; 5 x Q75s in the main with a 20B sub and the C series in the bedroom..BAs in most of the other rooms
    ------------------
    "My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I enjoy classic rock. But, I have a pretty wide range of music I enjoy.
    The music that sounds best on my Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers is classical and new age. I did some "critical" listening last night, I still love my Monitor Audio speakers!

12. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I run older Polks and listen to metal from the likes of System of a Down, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Zombie, Powerman5000, etc. and techno from Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Darude, ATB, Delerium, Prodigy, etc.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

13. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I listen to classic rock, modern rock, blues, jazz and classical through my B&W N805s with SVS 20-39PC.
    I avoid most country, rap, metal and adult contemporary.
    But when it comes to spending the money on a SACD and sitting down for a good listen, I lean toward jazz fusion.
    Grant,
    Ya got a light, Mack?
    [Edited last by Jim_F on November 15, 2001 at 03:10 PM]

14. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Little bit of everything except for hardcore (ironically I'll be running sound at a hardcore concert tomorrow), opera, and rap. Depends upon what I'm in the mood for. Also listen to a lot of talk radio (mostly in the car, but enjoy Art Bell [​IMG]).
    For the speakers, nOrh wood 5.1s or ceramic 4.0s (5.1s are currently breaking in so I use them as my mains in both systems - fairly easy to swap them in and out), and SVS 20-39CS w/S700 amp.

15. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've been on a DVD-Audio kick lately with American Beauty and Rumors. But I've also been purchasing and enjoying some re-mastered stuff from the early 70's such as:
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
    Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
    Fronts are Snell, Model J's (early 80's) with a Paradium PS-1000 sub.
    [Edited last by John Tillman on November 15, 2001 at 05:21 PM]

16. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Music: R&B, some Hip-Hop, some Rap
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Walnut Klipschorns
    Subwoofer: SVS 16-46PC
    ------------------
    "A film, by Oleg Razgul"
    "How was that?"
    "That was great"

17. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i listen to pretty much the same metal bands as johank (ie...slipknot, mudvayne, coal chamber, nin, manson, ministry...) but i also enjoy older alternative rock like nirvana, pearl jam, toadies, weezer (blue album), and toadies with a smattering of techno from aphex twin and orbital and a pinch of techno/industrial from pig and kmfdm.

i use mirage frx-7 speakers.

kevin t

18. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Speakers: B&W 603 S2

Music: Progressive Metal, Rock&Roll, Techno etc.

19. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

I mostly listen to metal/alternative/punk type stuff, but also classic rock stuff, 50s and 60s, classical - but almost no rap, no country, and none of the dance/radio hits junk.

This is with Paradigm Monitor 7s, v.2 and a PDR-10 (by spring a SVS I hope).

20. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Mostly metal/rock is heard coming from my Paradigm Studio 40's. Of the metal it is mostly Megadeth.