1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Kevin Brownlow/David Gill documentary

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    What is your favorite documentary made by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill?

The docs they made are: (Some are Brownlow, only)

Abel Gance: The Charm of Dynamite
    Hollywood
    Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood
    Unknown Chaplin
    D.W. Griffith: The Father of Film
    Buster Keaton: A Hard Act To Follow
    Universal Horror
    Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces
    The Tramp and the Dictator
    Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius

Mine would be Hollywood.

2. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

I've only seen two of the episodes from Hollywood and just pieces of Lon Chaney (though I have it on tape and have been meaning to watch it). I haven't seen--or even heard of--Abel Gance, Universal Horror, or The Tramp and the Dictator. Have those been on TCM?
    Of the others, Cinema Europe was my least favorite and seemed to bog down a number of times despite the constant stream of brilliant work showcased.
    Griffith and Chaplin were exceptional and Harold Lloyd featured some suberb music by Carl Davis (reused to great effect in Safety Last).
    That said, Buster Keaton was my favorite, and not just because he's also my favorite silent comedian. It was far more of a biography than the Chaplin one and featured some great stuff from later in his career (the Candid Camera stuff was especially hilarious).
    One of my great dreams has been to a Brownlow/Gill documentary detailing the work of Laurel & Hardy, my favorite comedians of all-time and geniuses (especially Stan) in their own right. I'm not even sure if such a project is possible (are Brownlow and Gill still working?) but I'd be in cinema heaven if it was ever done.
    Evan

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Favorite would be:

Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Abel Gance: The Charm of Dynamite has been on TV before and The Tramp and the Dictator has been shown in a few places in theatres. It'll be on DVD next year.

David Gill died a few years ago, and Brownlow has been working solo since. Universal Horror was dedicated to him.