What's new

Favorite Jimi Hendrix CD's (1 Viewer)

Robert Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Watson
To the Jimi Hendrix fans on here:

What are your favorite Jimi Hendrix CD's?

Mine are: Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel ( Live At The Isle Of Wight)

Live At The Fillmore East

Band Of Gypsys

Live At Woodstock

Live At Berkeley

The Rainbow Bridge Concert ( double disc )

What about anybody on here?

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Greatest Hits - Most of the excesses of the early LP's are gone.
Band of Gypsys - Best band and musicality.
Most of the later albums are also good.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Axis Bold as Love is my favorite studio album.
Live at the Fillmore my favorite live CD

KrisM

Second Unit
Kind of a boring answer, but I like the three studio albums the best. I also like Blues, but it was stolen out of my truck and I never got around to replacing it. I'm sure as soon as I do, Hendrix's catalog will come out on hi-rez.:)
I also have a demo cd that came with a book I bought years ago. Just Jimi playing solo at his house. Not the greatest disc, but there is one part where he keeps playing while you can hear the phone ringing, and ringing in the background. You can tell that his attitude is screw off, I'm busy. Pretty much sums up how I usually feel when my phone is ringing.:)

Regards
KrisM

DanaA

Screenwriter
My favorites still are Electric Ladyland and Axis Bold as Love.

Have quite a few Hendrix CD's and albums. An easy least favorite is one which I bought for novelty purposes where Hendrix does Christmas songs. It was recorded, I think, during the Electric Ladyland sessions.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1. Loose Ends.
Which is a collection of studio jams.
Excellent sound on the W.G. Polydor.
2. Blues.
Collection of jams, live & in the studio.
Very good sound on MCA. Also on EH.
Still looking for a Japan or W.G. Polydor.
Butt hey, I love ALL Hendrix!!!

gregD

Second Unit
Gotta go with the first three: Experienced, Axis, Ladyland...

Especially Axis... what an explosion of psychedelia!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Cry of Love, released after Jimi's death, and re-compiled as First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

I always thought that Ezy Rider was a killer track (the first time I heard a Univibe), and Freedom is no slouch either.

BGL

StephenA

Screenwriter
I like his 3 finished studio albums, Band of Gypsys, and First Rays of the New Rising Sun(though I never heard the older compilations of these songs) the best.

I also have this CD that has him doing a couple songs with Jim Morrison. The songs suck big time in my opinion.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Hell yeah, this is my kind of topic.

1. Electric ladyland - Use to be #2 but 1983... and the rest were just to great to keep down. IMO the greatest album ever created.

2. Axis: Bold As Love - Was my #1 b/c it's so mellow and funky, no tempo is too slow and with Bold as Love and Castles Made Of Sand(perhaps the greatest song ever) make this an epic album.

3. Are You Experienced - I love how it is raw but not garage sound, Are You Experienced is a great ending to this album, some awesome stuff in here.

4. War Heros - An import album that has a lot of "throw away" songs which IMO are better than a lot of other bands songs. Tax Free, Midnight, and Steppin Stone are the best ones, several instrumentals on here also.

5. The Cry Of Love - I agree, Ezy ryder is a great song, along with Night Bird Flying and Freedom, CoL shows that Jimi still had it but was losing focus b/c of drugs and his problems with Noel redding.

6. A Band Of Gypsies - This should be #5(just too lazy to change the order), this live album sounds excellent and Jimi does a great job on the Buddy Miles stuff. Machine Gun is excellent and Who KNows is a very cool jam.

7. Some old 2 disc bootleg with Uranus Rock and Morrisons Lament, don't remember the name but the quality was awful but it was still cool cause it was Jimi. Not something to listen to a lot.

I haven't heard the blues album, and I can't tell you why I haven't got it yet(almost did last week).

Voodoo Soup is pretty good, it's basically Cry Of Love with some songs omited and some songs added. Pali Gap, A Room Full Of Mirrors, and Peace In The Mississippi are the ones I wish I still have to listen to.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I like most of Jimi's stuff. My favorite, though is "Blues." It surprised me the first time I listened to it. If Hendrix was born in an earlier era, he surely would have been another Robert Johnson. Amazing dude. Dave

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i believe the cd with hendrix and jim morrison together is called woke up and found myself dead on the thunderbolt label[i don't think it's a bootleg btw]

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Variations on a Theme - Red House
From the Jimi Hendrix Reference Library

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks