Favorite James Newton Howard scores?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Dec 14, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I find JNH to be an interesting film composer. I recently watched UNBREAKABLE and really enjoyed his score. It got me thinking about some of his other work. My favorites of his are PRINCE OF TIDES and WYATT EARP. Have enjoyed others like: THE FUGITIVE, OUTBREAK and ATLANTIS.

Wondering if there are any big fans out there of this composer as he's not one of the most talked about ones out there yet he always presents quality work.

What are your thoughts?

David

2. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

I've always enjoyed James Newton Howard's scores (of course it helps that I like a lot of the movies that are scored by him). I find him to be very subtle, never overplaying themes and always showing a lot of restraint. With Howard I never think, "okay, we've heard enough of that theme, let's move on," like I do with a lot of film composers. The listener is always left wanting more.

I really need to hear more of his work. I love the scores for The Fugitive, Unbreakable, and The Sixth Sense. Signs is okay, but kind of disappointing. I don't think I've heard much beyond that. I hope that M. Night Shyamalan continues his collaboration with Howard.

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    My favorite James Newton Howard score is 'Waterworld', I also liked his music for 'Flatliners', 'Outbreak', 'Fugitive', 'Dinosaur', 'Atlantis' and 'Unbreakable'.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Snow Falling on Cedars, The Postman, Dave, Unbreakable and Grand Canyon rank among my overall James Newton Howard favourites. His disney works have all be excellent too and one of this years works from him, Signs, has some truly exceptional cues.

Dan

5. Alphonse Brown

Alphonse Brown Stunt Coordinator

I am a huge fan of his and I had the pleasure of telling him that at a signing for his "The Postman" CD. He was very cordial and signed every CD I brought to the signing.

My favorite score of his has to be "Grand Canyon", followed closely by his outstanding "Unbreakable" score.

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

The music when David Dunn gets pulled out of the pool in Unbreakable...

It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time.

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    My favorite of his is Glengarry Glen Ross.
    DJ

8. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

My favorite JNH scores are for Nobody's Fool, Grand Canyon, Restoration, Gengarry Glen Ross, and Unbreakable.

I think Newton usually does an excellent job of scoring. The music doesn't fight for attention with the film. (Isn't that what scores are supposed to do?)

I thought his music for Signs worked extremely well in that movie, even if it isn't my favorite stand-alone soundtrack. His underscoring *made* the trailer.

Looks like JNH has some fans here. He's a bit like Howard Shore - a good craftsman doing fine work, but not getting the attention of a John Williams or Elmer Bernstein.

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'm not a big James Newton Howard fan, but his score for Wyatt Earp was not bad.

Personally, I think his music at the end of Grand Canyon is laughable and nearly destroys the film. If ever there was a moment for silence, this is it, along with the end of Se7en. However, this may have been Kasdan's decision just as much as Howard's.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    It just happens that one of my favorite little films The Man in the Moon (Reese Witherspoon, not Jim Carrey) is scored by Howard, and he did an outstanding job. It is a pleasant bluegrass soundtrack that perfectly fits the film.