What's new

Directors Favorite funny moments from TV (1 Viewer)

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
What moments in television are your favorite episodes or funniest moments?

Mine include in no particular order (and I'll probably think of others later)

SNL - Jim Carrey as a lifeguard for a hot tub, Rosie O'Donnel, Whitney Houston in a skit with the Catholic girl.

DVD - Dick taking apart the phone (actually the whole episode was funny as he makes Buddy paronoid)

CBS - the siamese elephants, anytime Tim made Harvey laugh

The Lucy Show - Lucy gets a roommate and it's Carol Burnette. Carol was hilarious in this and stole the show from Lucy. Lucy and Viv put in a shower.

Desperate Housewives - Lynette telling the boys that she has Santa Clauses private number and she will call him to tell him to bring them socks for Christmas, Lynette kicking the kids out of the van and then going back to pick them up, Brie saying "he cries when he ejaculates".

Friends- Ross playing the bagpipes and the other cast members trying not to laugh.

Frasier - Niles ironing his pants.

I Love Lucy - vitametavegamin and pretty well every escapade that involves Ethel. Also the translation scene between Lucy, Ricky and several cops while they were in Europe.

Ellen - Ellen and Paige get stuck on a gate while escaping a weight loss center.

Almost any interview with Jim Carey or Robin Williams.

The Tonight Show - Johnny getting his suit cut up by (I think it was Carl Reiner but I could be wrong)

LizH

Second Unit
I Love Lucy, "Job Switching": Lucy and Ethel working in the candy factory -- PRICELESS! :laugh:

Star Trek: Voyager, "Survival Instinct":

Seven of Nine and eight-year-old(?) Naomi Wildman are standing at the edge of a crowded mess hall. Naomi tries threading her way through what -- to HER, at least -- is a sea of legs.

Seven of Nine bellows from the back of the room, "STAND ASIDE!" The crowd then parts like the Red Sea! :D

Aside from being funny as hell, I think that scene really spoke volumes about the character of Seven of Nine -- and about how intimidating she can be.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
My favorite funny moments/episodes are:

1) WKRP in Cincinnati - The episode is called "Turkeys Away", probably the funniest half-hour ever. The whole thing is perfect--from Les's on the spot report as the Turkeys hit the pavement to the gang's reaction. I still laugh when I think about that episode. lol. :D

2) WKRP in Cincinnati - "Les on a Ledge" had a very funny secondary plot where Johnny Fever tells Herb that Jennifer is actually a "guy" -- and Herb believes him! The best part was when Herb (oblivious to what was actually going on) tells Les about Jennifer. Andy & Mr. Carlson's reaction is classic. :)

WKRP was such a great show. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Is this the right forum for this?

Oh, all right, I'll play:

ST:TNG - "Deja Q"

Q: What must I do to convince you people?
Worf: Die!
Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

Worf: You will walk or I will carry you!
Q: Given the option, I...I'll walk.

Worf: BE QUIET! Or disappear back where you came from!
Q: I can't disappear, any more than you can win a beauty contest.

(Q runs into a forcefield): This is getting on my nerves, now that I have them!

Q: There's something wrong with my stomach.
Dr. Crusher: It hurts?
Q: It's making noises!
Dr. Crusher (staring): Maybe you're hungry.
(moments later, in 10-Forward)
Q: I've never eaten before, what do I order?

Guinan: I hear they drummed you out of the Continuum!
Q: I like to think of it as a significant career change.
Guinan: Just one of the boys, eh?
Q: One of the boys with an I.Q. of 2005!

Q: It's difficult to work in groups when you're omnipotent.

Q: I'm immortal again! Omnipotent again!
Riker: Swell.

Riker: I don't need your fantasy women!
Q: Oh, you're so stolid! You weren't like that before the beard!

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I Love Lucy-Vitameatavegamin

The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour-The Tallulah Bankhead Episode

The Beverly Hillbillies-Anything with Cousin Pearl or Mrs. Drysdale. Cousin Pearl yodeling into the phone at Mr. Drysdale and he drops it and the receiver is jumping all over the table.

All In The Family-Archie locked in the cellar drunk on Polish Vodka and a black man rescues him. Archie thinks its God and says...Forgive me Lord, The Jeffersons was right....

Soap-Sheriff Tinkler questioning the entire family for Peters murder.

Green Acres-Oliver swearing he isnt stoned. Also anything to do with his mother.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show-Chuckles Bites the Dust

The Carol Burnett Show-Went with the Wind. The Curtain rod scene.

The Nanny-Any scene with Sylvia

The Andy Griffith Show-Aunt Bea the Warden, when Otis came to their house to sleep it off because the jail was full, and Aunt Bea put him to work. His drunken "Dipsy Doodle" song is priceless.

The Andy Griffith Show-Man in a Hurry.

Pistols n Petticoats-their stage coach is robbed and Grandma shoots one bandit in the foot, while Henrietta knocks the other one silly with her purse, one is hopping and the other is out cold and the ladies just stand there laughing at them. They get back in the stage and Grandpa, who has slept through the whole thing wakes and asks whats going on. Henrietta just smiles sweetly and says "Just a hold up papa, go back to sleep", and he DOES.

LizH

Second Unit
More Star Trek: Voyager:

B'Elanna Torres: How the hell do you know when we're having intimate relations?
Seven of Nine: There is no one on deck 9 section 12 who does not know when you're having intimate relations.

Tom Paris: When a bomb starts talking about itself in the third person, I get nervous.

The Doctor: What did he ingest?
B'Elanna Torres: Just a cup of Neelix's coffee.
The Doctor: He's lucky to be alive.

Q: [lecturing his son, the eponymous Q2] If the Continuum has told you once, it has told you a thousand times: DON'T... PROVOKE... THE BORG!

Tom Paris: The only Klingon I'm afraid of is my wife after she's worked a double shift.

Tuvok: Mr. Neelix, I do not need to hear the life history of my breakfast.

B'Elanna Torres: The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park.

[Seeing the Q-mating ritual, merely a touch of the index fingers]
Captain Janeway: What? That's it?
Q: You had your chance. Now don't come complaining about it!

The Doctor: Will you stop breathing down my neck?
EMH #2: My breathing is only a simulation.
The Doctor: Well, so is my neck, but stop it anyway!

[During the birth of B'Elanna's baby]
The Doctor: Will you relax?
B'Elanna Torres: If you tell me to relax one more time, I'm going to rip your holographic head off!
The Doctor: I hope you don't intend to kiss your baby with that mouth.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Some great ones mentioned already. The WKRP Thanksgiving ep, in particular, is definitely at the top of my own list, along with the bomb threat 2-parter in which Johnny and Venus have to relocate to the transmitter and Johnny becomes convinced that the "phone cops" are coming after him for destroying the phone. Some others:

Bob Newhart - The Thanksgiving ep in which Bob, Howard, Jerry, and Mr. Carlton get drunk.

Newhart - almost anything involving Larry, Darryl, and Darryl

Wings - almost anything involving Lowell or Antonio (especially some of Antonio's off-handed comments) This entire show (early years in particular) was priceless.

I must have a thing for butlers, because I find Niles (The Nanny), Benson (Soap), and Geoffrey (Fresh Prince) to be totally hilarious. Mostly dry and understated, deadpan delivery...never fails to make me laugh.

The Nanny - the scene in which CC catches Niles doing the "Risky Business" bit. Actually, many scenes between those two characters were priceless. (Another prime example: Niles' reaction when Fran asks if there are any old nipples around, and CC walks in at that precise moment... Predictable, sure...but still hilarious.)

The Andy Griffith Show - the episode in which Gomer joined the Marines...the first interactions between him and Sgt Carter (and the bucket on the head)

The Andy Griffith Show - Andy attempting to explain charity to Opie, and the concept of "a ratio" (Opie misunderstands it as "Horatio", and goes on to imagine a "half a boy")

The Andy Griffith Show - Opie and the Spoiled Kid - Andy's explanation to Opie about working, and Opie's reaction (his "Good and tired" line still cracks me up every single time), and Opie's attempted tantrums

The Andy Griffith Show - first ep, when Rose is getting married, and Andy has to stop Opie from throwing the whole box of rice at the groom

The Andy Griffith Show - Andy catches Barney asleep in the cot in the back room, and tucks the corners of the blanket underneath the legs of the cot, then slams the door to awaken Barney...the scene of Barney trapped underneath the blanket and trying to escape (Don't remember the specific ep right off-hand)

TAXI - the classic scene with Jeff Conaway, when Rev Jim is taking the written test for his license, and tries to ask "What does a yellow light mean?"

The Monkees - some of the unplanned and ad-libbed scenes when they were all (very obviously) totally stoned out of their minds

Leave It To Beaver - Beaver loses his haircut money (following yet another lecture about losing things), so Wally gives him a haircut instead. June's reaction when she peeks at Beaver's head in bed and sees the results.

Three's Company - Jeffrey Tambor plays a psychiatrist whom Terry brings home for dinner; Jack and Janet think he's a patient, and he is in turn convinced that Jack is insane.

Sanford and Son - Lamont studies karate to face a bully; Grady intercedes by telling the bully that Lamont has a medical condition. Lamont's subsequent karate demonstration is hilarious, as is Grady's follow-up reaction.

The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Ghost Of A. Chantz, and The Curious Thing About Women (Laura with the raft)

Just a few off the top of my head... I'm sure I'll think of a dozen more indispensible classics as soon as I hit the SUBMIT button...

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
The RAFT episode! I forgot about that! Truly one of the funniest in Dick Van Dyke history. And the really funny part is feeling sorry for Laura and wondering how she's going to get that raft back in the box before Dick finds out.

Someone asked if this is the right forum for this question. I think it is, since it's about all those old shows that you're watching or wanting to watch on DVD.

Another favorite, the X-files episode with Lily Tomlin and (was it Ed Asner) who are ghosts in a haunted house.

Frasier episode where Frasier's sitting wearing a bib and putting together a popsicle house and the people who walk into the room think he's mentally disabled. And also any episode that has people switching identities, rooms, and whatever else to cause confusion.

Cheers where Rebecca fools Sam and Woody into kissing each other.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
An all time favorite funny bit was in Sanford and Son [One of these days, I MUST get the season sets of this!]

Somehow or another, Sanford had a casket at the junkyard, and he was afraid to sleep in the house with it. He is in the bed of his pickup truck, in a sleeping bag, and Lamont is trying to reason with him:

Lamont: Pop, if you sleep out here all night in the cold, your arthuritis will seize up, and you'll be a cripple from the neck down.
Sanford: Then we'll be a perfect match, 'cause you're a cripple from the neck up!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
• When one wishes to post about a television show on DVD, post in Software: TV Shows.

• If one wishes to discuss television programming in general, post in TV Shows/HDTV Programming.

• Posts about HD tuners, cable boxes, etc. go in A/V Sources.

• And threads like this one, which is a poll, obviously go here in Polls (and not Software: TV Shows, which is where it was originally).

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
This thread isn't a poll at all. I think it belongs in the "TV Shows/HDTV Programming" section.

Thanks for that link, Linda. I laughed myself silly listening to it. :)

NeilTHI

Agent
I would go for any 'Faulty Towers' with John Cleese. My favourite episode
is the one with the Smooth guy who has the Australian girl in his bedroom, Basil knows this and needs to catch them at it. Just fantastic. If you've never seen any Faulty Towers, go get em!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorites is Sports Night, when Natalie throws a glass of water into Dan's face for the third time. That is funny enough, but it's Peter Krause's reaction to it that seals the deal. Supposedly, his laughing is scripted, but it looks like ad-lib and the editors liked it and left it in. Whichever way it is supposed to be is still funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks