What's new

Favorite films that changed your life at any point (1 Viewer)

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree Walt. Can't a book change someone's life? What about a sermon? What about an education? Thoughts and ideas change people's lives. These things can be found in art, especially the medium of film. Are you just toying with us???

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have to agree with Jason. Movies are intended to entertain, and most of them (try to) do that. But as he said, it is new ideas and/or viewpoints which can alter our perception(s). These changes can come in many forms. While books/friends/family have had a profound impact on my life, so have some films and even, from my youth, some comic books.
Take care,
Chuck

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Actually, I hated to read and was not interested in learning. My grades in school were horrible and the thought of going to college never entered my mind. Then I saw Jurassic Park and loved the movie. For a reading class I then chose to read the novel, Jurassic Park. After I read that, I fell in love with reading and learning. My grades improved so much that I made the honor roll! Then, I went to college and made the Dean's List almost every quarter and graduated!
Can a movie change your life?
yes.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Brad_W

Screenwriter
some movies are made for entertainment and other movies are made to speak a message. A film may have not changed your life, but films may help others change their life. Some books can change your life (mentioning the bible can only bring up a huge debate, so why bring it up) and other books are for entertainment. This may be very black and white, but to say all movies are entertainment is a blanket statement that need not be said.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yesterday's 70mm showing of 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Uptown in Washington D.C. may not have changed my life, but it's altered my perception of Kubrick's masterpiece more than any other screening.
Seeing Citizen Kane at the impressionable age of 13 changed my life - it made me want to watch films as art rather than just entertainment.
Walt, I feel very sad for you. Genuinely. You should try to allow a work of art - a film, in this case - to enter your heart and soul. You'll be all the richer for it.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Walt, let's lower the bar a bit and see if we can agree. Do you agree that movies can move someone emotionally or inspire someone to action? If so, might that not be a life-changing experience, especially if the inspiration was to stay in school, or become a teacher, journalist, or astronaut?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Before I really got into home theater, The Shawshank Redemption was the one of the first films that really showed me the power cinema had instilling emotion in the viewer.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I've never been so emotionally uplifted by a film that I wanted to make some fundemental changes in the way I live my life. I do believe that books can change lives. The Bible proves that. But for the most part, movies are produced for simple entertainment.
You've been watching the wrong movies.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
With questions like these, you're supposed to say the first thing that pops into your head. For me, it was It's A Wonderful Life.
------------------
Spoiler:One Thousand Words
My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Edward Scissorhands. I became obsessed with Winona Ryder :)
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Saw 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' at age 10. Decided I wanted to be an archeologist, because I figured all archeologists had adventures like that. Parents even bought me books and sent me to 'archeology camp' where I discovered it was mostly sitting around brushing dirt back and forth.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Last of the Mohicans (1992)
I'm descended from three different Eastern Woodlands tribes but never really gave much thought to my heritage. When I went to see this film I saw a long-gone way of life depicted on the screen in a fairly accurate manner and was floored by the experience. Since then I've spent a lot of time studying that era and am a better person for it. I would not have been so moved by a book or a painting -- it took a fairly standard piece of Hollywood romantic-adventure fare to spark that interest in me. I can't help but think that a great many other people have been impacted by the films they've seen.
[Edited last by Michael Warner on November 16, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks