What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/90#post_3879217
Tonight I went for three episodes of MASH and one of Night Court (S5).
Very good, Brad! I've got to make sure I don't forget Lassie. That's a series that has some great ones, and I've got to get on the ball with those.

Gary "watched Happy Days (S2) and all four of the Dobie Gillis Christmas episodes" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
Began my first ever Christmas TV episode night tonight.
For the first night I made it an Elinor Donahue tribute with:
- FKB, S1
- FKB, S3
- FKB, S5
- Andy Griffith, S1
I think going forward I wil skip FKB, season 1 since season 5 does a look back at the first season episode, and the cuts made to the season 5 episode to fit in the extra material weren't as important to me as the cuts made in season 1 to shorten it for syndication.
Now i have to look at the list to figure out the theme for tomorrow.
rlx0d0.jpg
to all of those, Brad. I've seen all of them except for FKB S5 episode. That one wasn't on my list. Thanks for mentioning it.
Gary OS said:
Very good, Brad!  I've got to make sure I don't forget Lassie.  That's a series that has some great ones, and I've got to get on the ball with those.
Gary "watched Happy Days (S2) and all four of the Dobie Gillis Christmas episodes" O.
That S2 Happy Days episode is among my top Christmas episodes. I always watch that one every year.
4icw7d.jpg
over the last couple of days:
The first 4 are on one of the CBS "Holiday Treats" DVD's:
  • Taxi: "A Full House for Christmas"
  • Family Ties: "A Keaton Christms Carol"
  • Frasier: "Miracle on 3rd or 4th St"
  • Wings: "A Terminal Christmas"
  • HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL S1: "The Hanging Cross" - Really liked this one. Johnny Crawford was in this epsisode ("Mark" from The Rifleman)
  • SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN S4: "A Bionic Christmas Carol" - I hadn't seen this episode since the 70's. I skipped ahead in the T/L box set for the holidays to view it.
9 more viewing days/evenings until the 24th
wi94bd.jpg

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/90#post_3879331
rlx0d0.jpg
to all of those, Brad. I've seen all of them except for FKB S5 episode. That one wasn't on my list. Thanks for mentioning it.

Jeff, you probably just forgot but I had mentioned to you some time ago that the S5 Christmas episode from Father Knows Best is just a repeat of the S1 episode (with only a minute or so of new dialog to set up the "remembering" of that first Christmas episode). I'm pretty sure that's why you didn't have it on your list. I wouldn't let you miss a different Christmas episode from that series, buddy.

Glad you watched "The Hanging Cross" from Have Gun Will Travel. It's a fantastic episode in my book, even though it doesn't concentrate on many of the elements we generally associate with Christmas episodes. It contains one of my all-time favorite CBS Library music cues, used in the Church scene where Paladin is giving his "sermon". For some reason that cue (also used in the epilogue of The Fugitive episode, "Angels Travel on Lonely Roads, Pt. 2") has always impressed and moved me. I also enjoy the "Bionic Christmas Carol" from The Six Million Dollar Man series.

Gary "yep, time is quickly passing - must ramp up my viewing schedule" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Having just seen both Christmas episodes from FKB, the reasons I like the season 5 episode better is because of what got put back in that was cut from the syndicated season 1 episode. If season 1 had been complete I may actually like it better. For example:
- The new dialog in S5 does add some more Christmas elements because they are preparing for Christmas as they flash back and it add's a bit to the mystery of Nick with Cathy
- the S1 episode ends a bit abrupt IMO, i like that they go back to present day in S5 to close it out.
- The S1 episode had additional footage about Bud and his plug using Christmas to advertise used cars that was cut from S1, and it helps lead into Jim's frustration.
- Now S5 cuts the scene with Betty discussing how to manipulate a watch for Christmas from a boy also leading to Jim's frustration (so that is a wash with the above)
- S5 also contain a bit more frustration from jim when they run into the snow bank.
- The best part, S5 contains the footage when they sit down to dinner in the cabin and Nick say's grace that was cut from S1
The benefit of watching them practically back-to-back. It really doesn't make sense to watch both because they are much of the same. But to me S5 is a bit better.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/90#post_3879372
Having just seen both Christmas episodes from FKB, the reasons I like the season 5 episode better is because of what got put back in that was cut from the syndicated season 1 episode. If season 1 had been complete I may actually like it better. For example:
- The new dialog in S5 does add some more Christmas elements because they are preparing for Christmas as they flash back and it add's a bit to the mystery of Nick with Cathy
- the S1 episode ends a bit abrupt IMO, i like that they go back to present day in S5 to close it out.
- The S1 episode had additional footage about Bud and his plug using Christmas to advertise used cars that was cut from S1, and it helps lead into Jim's frustration.
- Now S5 cuts the scene with Betty discussing how to manipulate a watch for Christmas from a boy also leading to Jim's frustration (so that is a wash with the above)
- S5 also contain a bit more frustration from jim when they run into the snow bank.
- The best part, S5 contains the footage when they sit down to dinner in the cabin and Nick say's grace that was cut from S1
The benefit of watching them practically back-to-back. It really doesn't make sense to watch both because they are much of the same. But to me S5 is a bit better.

You're absolutely correct, Brad. I hadn't been using my official Shout FKB S1 set to watch the Christmas episode because I had sought that particular episode out years earlier and had an uncut one that I was still using. But you just convinced me that the S5 one is better anyhow because of the "abrupt ending", as you put it, in that first season episode.

Jeff, based on what Brad has pointed out, please do go ahead and view that S5 episode (I think you own that set) if you get a chance. It will be the better of the two.

Gary "thanks for reminding me of all that, Brad - great job!" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
You're absolutely correct, Brad.  I hadn't been using my official Shout FKB S1 set to watch the Christmas episode because I had sought that particular episode out years earlier and had an uncut one that I was still using.  But you just convinced me that the S5 one is better anyhow because of the "abrupt ending", as you put it, in that first season episode. 
Jeff, based on what Brad has pointed out, please do go ahead and view that S5 episode (I think you own that set) if you get a chance.  It will be the better of the two.  :tu:
Gary "thanks for reminding me of all that, Brad - great job!" O.
I see...watching an uncut S1 version does make many of my points mute.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Jeff, you probably just forgot but I had mentioned to you some time ago that the S5 Christmas episode from Father Knows Best is just a repeat of the S1 episode (with only a minute or so of new dialog to set up the "remembering" of that first Christmas episode).  I'm pretty sure that's why you didn't have it on your list.  I wouldn't let you miss a different Christmas episode from that series, buddy.  :)
Glad you watched "The Hanging Cross" from Have Gun Will Travel.  It's a fantastic episode in my book, even though it doesn't concentrate on many of the elements we generally associate with Christmas episodes.  It contains one of my all-time favorite CBS Library music cues, used in the Church scene where Paladin is giving his "sermon".  For some reason that cue (also used in the epilogue of The Fugitive episode, "Angels Travel on Lonely Roads, Pt. 2") has always impressed and moved me.  I also enjoy the "Bionic Christmas Carol" from The Six Million Dollar Man series.
Gary "yep, time is quickly passing - must ramp up my viewing schedule" O.
2ry36nr.jpg
I remember now
2r7nfdh.jpg
, also Brad, for the info.
I'll watch that one this evening as I don't have a lot of choices tonight to distract me
21ngnjm.jpg

Yes, that "HGWT" episode was outstanding. It followed a "Matlock" lunch episode today.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/90#post_3879418
Yes, that "HGWT" episode was outstanding. It followed a "Matlock" lunch episode today.
That S1 HGWT is a top 10 favorite of mine that I do watch every year. And I just watched another Top 10 favorite that had be balling my eyes out (like it does every year) - Lassie S5. It's the first one that series did and it's a real tearjerker. I love it!

Gary "will be watching the Going My Way Christmas episode in just a little bit" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Lot of backlog I worked my way through the last couple days!
The Odd Couple S1-"Scrooge Gets An Oscar" (the best of the sitcom Scrooge parodies IMO)
The Flying Nun S1-"Wailing In A Winter Wonderland"
I Love Lucy S6-"Christmas Show"
Andy Griffith Show S1-"Christmas Story"
The Addams Family S2-"Christmas With The Addams Family"
Gilligan's Island S1-"Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk" (Christmas framing allowed them to recycle footage from the original unaired pilot)
Twilight Zone S3-"Changing Of The Guard"

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Amazing Stories S1-"Santa '85" I forced myself to watch. It alas is a sign of just what started to go wrong with TV in general in the 80s and why I keep finding that shows later than 1979 just don't generate the same level of nostalgia in me even if I experienced them first hand.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
mltm5d.jpg
over the last couple of days,
DANIEL BOONE S2 - "The Christmas Story"
GILLIGIAN’S ISLAND S1 - "Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk"
GREEN ACRES S2 - "An Old-Fashioned Christmas"
OZZIE AND HARRIET S1 - "Boy's Christmas Money"
OZZIE AND HARRIET S3 - "Christmas Tree Lot"
OZZIE AND HARRIET S3 - "The Fruitcake"
OZZIE AND HARRIET S6 - "Late Christmas Gift"
STEVE CANYON V2 - "The Gift"
I liked the Green Acres and Steve Canyon episodes the best of this group. The Steve Canyon episode was unique to me, had a good story in it. Next was the OZZIE AND HARRIET "Christmas Tree Lot" episode. With one week left to go, I have most of my 1st-time viewed episodes done.
Gary OS said:
That S1 HGWT is a top 10 favorite of mine that I do watch every year. And I just watched another Top 10 favorite that had be balling my eyes out (like it does every year) - Lassie S5. It's the first one that series did and it's a real tearjerker. I love it! :blush:
Gary "will be watching the Going My Way Christmas episode in just a little bit" O.
Thanks for the info on the Lassie episodes. Those are next on my list.
25sym8x.jpg

23ma6ab.jpg

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The Lassie episodes are a must. I've been watching them with the kids just before bedtime. We've watched S5, S7, and started S10 so far.
Last night I watched: Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, and Dick Van Dyke.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/90#post_3880159
The Lassie episodes are a must. I've been watching them with the kids just before bedtime. We've watched S5, S7, and started S10 so far.
Absolute, Brad. The Lassie series had some incredible Christmas shows. Certainly the Timmy ones were the best, but the first couple of Ranger episodes aren't bad ("Little Christmas Tree" and "The Greatest Gift") either. Overall, it's hard for me to think of another show that had so many quality Christmas episodes.

Gary "Ozzie & Harriet had a good number of Christmas eps, but I don't feel there were as many good ones as what Lassie had" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Taken care of since my last post:
Six Million Dollar Man S4-"A Bionic Christmas Carol"
Love Boat S1-"Silent Night" etc.
Barney Miller S3-"Christmas Story"
Barney Miller S8-"Homeless"
Dick Van Dyke Show S3-"Alan Brady Presents"
And today another Christmas TV staple, the George C. Scott "A Christmas Carol" which first aired on CBS in 1984 and IMO is the last good production of the story ever made.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I wish Classic Media would either release the entire series of Lassie, or at least let someone such as Shout! Factory, Timeless or even Time-Life have a shot at it.
When I was a Child I always assumed that there were three differant versions of this show, namily Jeff's Collie, Timmy and Lassie and finally, the "Ranger" Lassie. This is because the Stations in my area NEVER SHOWED Seasons 4, 9, 10 and 11 of this series! In the Beginning of Season 4 "Timmy" shows up on the scene as a Child who had ran away from Home and was taken in by Jeff's Family. In the middle of the Season "Gramps" Passes away (The Actor who had played the part of Gramps, Mr. George Cleveland really passed away mid-way through the shooting of Season Four, Originally the last episode of this Season "Gramps" was supposed to have some kind of "Accident" that made him unable to run the Farm. Jeff's Mother was to also get a new Job in another Town, The Farm is then sold to Paul and Ruth Martin, who then adopt Timmy. Jeff gives Lassie to Timmy, and the show continues... (In actuality Tommy Rettig grew tired of playing Jeff and wanted out, So they decided that Season four would be his last season. When Mr. Cleveland Died the Producers "Pushed things up a bit").
The Producers of Lassie saw the same thing happening with John Provost a few years later. (Hey, Kids do Grow Up) This time they anticipated this, and in Seasons Nine and Ten they had Lassie participate in several "Interludes", some of which were multi-parters that took Lassie away from the Farm and Timmy. During these Interludes Lassie interacted with Charactures who played Truck Drivers, Barnstormers, Military Cadets and yes, Forest Rangers. These were in fact "Experiments" to see who Lassie's New Owner would be. The Episode that drew the most favorable Ratings determined Lassie's fate. Then, in the first episode of Season 11, Timmy's Father gets a new Business Oppurtunity in Australia. Unfortunately Ozzy-Land has a STRICT Quarentine Law regarding the importation of Animals. Lassie is forced to be left behind, and the Dawg wound up with the Forest Rangers.
(To this day I wonder what would have happened if Lassie had wound up with one of the Other Charactures!) :D

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Regulus said:
This is because the Stations in my area NEVER SHOWED Seasons 4, 9, 10 and 11 of this series! In the Beginning of Season 4 "Timmy" shows up on the scene as a Child who had ran away from Home and was taken in by Jeff's Family. In the middle of the Season "Gramps" Passes away (The Actor who had played the part of Gramps, Mr. George Cleveland really passed away mid-way through the shooting of Season Four, Originally the last episode of this Season "Gramps" was supposed to have some kind of "Accident" that made him unable to run the Farm. Jeff's Mother was to also get a new Job in another Town, The Farm is then sold to Paul and Ruth Martin, who then adopt Timmy. Jeff gives Lassie to Timmy, and the show continues... (In actuality Tommy Rettig grew tired of playing Jeff and wanted out, So they decided that Season four would be his last season. When Mr. Cleveland Died the Producers "Pushed things up a bit").
Not to forget the other turmoil between seasons 4 and 5, which was Cloris Leachman playing the adopted mother to Timmy for the second half of season 4, but then replaced with June Lockhart from season 5 until the Timmy era was over. Of course they had to switch the fathers out to since that would have made it even more confusing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/90#post_3880306
Watched Restless Gun S1, HGWT S1, and Dr. Kildare S1 tonight.
Three nice picks, Brad. I know that Kildare episode is pretty poor video quality, but it's so great I watch it every year in spite of the poor video dupe it was made from. I still get steamed thinking we could and should all be enjoying that episode uncut and looking wonderful from the WB Archive. It's the Christmas season so I won't say what I think of the people in charge at the WBA that made the choice to exclude that episode from their Christmas Collection last year.

I watched CHiPs and 4 of the Family Matter Christmas episodes tonight.

Gary "I need to rewatch that Restless Gun episode again - it's been several years" O.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
I won a copy of "The Wonder Years" Christmas episodes on Ebay last night - not sure if it will get here for the holiday but I'll watch it when it gets in. I particularly remember the one where Kevin badgered his father for a color TV for Christmas - I can identify with that!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
4icw7d.jpg
'ed , listed in order of my rating after watching them for the 1st time since originally aired:
1 DENNIS THE MENACE S1 - "The Christmas Story"
3 DENNIS THE MENACE S2 - "Christmas Horse"
2 DENNIS THE MENACE S2 - "The 15 Foot Christmas Tree"
JOHNNY STACCATO "The Unwise Men"
I really liked this one with Jack Weston as the "Santa" and the longtime "bad-guy" gangster actor Marc Lawrence in the same episode].
Re-watched:
THE PRETENDER S1 - "Not Even a Mouse" This one ranks high on my Christmas episode list
4uymx0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks