What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Yes, I think that's the one of the best Dennis the Menace episodes of the entire series, not just Christmas episodes. I also love the very first episode.

The Middle was an underrated series, as compared, say, to Modern Family. I liked both, but The Middle was as award worthy as Modern Family, IMO. They both began the same season in 2009, I believe.
I also really like the Dennis episode two in season one where he turns the street sign. My wife and I used to watch the Middle every week when it was on and it never failed to remind me of us (in a good/funny way).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, S1-"Long Live The King"
-Again, not an exceptional episode but quite good and the only time an Irwin Allen show did one specifically during the Christmas season. It's also great to get an indicator of how Carroll O'Connor had a solid character actor reputation long before the role he is forever identified with.

Watching this episode also gave me an excuse to watch two of my favorite Voyage episodes as well that happen to come just before it . "Ghost Of Moby Dick" with June Lockhart's outstanding performance which led directly to her getting cast in LIS) and "Hail To The Chief" which followed (boasts the greatest guest cast roster of any "Voyage" episode with Viveca Lindfors, John Hoyt, Ed Platt, Malcolm Atterbury, David Lewis, James Doohan, Nancy Kovack, Susan Flannery and Paul Carr) and has that great tag line, "We don't know anyone in Norfolk, Virginia anyway!"

A great string of episodes from that fantastic first season.

Gary “Christmas Island” O.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, S1-"Long Live The King"
-Again, not an exceptional episode but quite good and the only time an Irwin Allen show did one specifically during the Christmas season.
Well, Lost in Space had two episodes that specifically referenced Christmas. "The Toymaker" in the second season showed a doorway to earth where people were celebrating the holiday, but it was a throwaway and it also aired at the end of January. So that doesn't count.

However, the first season had the exceptional "Return from Outer Space" which ran between Christmas and New Years Day in 1965. The town of Hatfield Four Corners was done up with various Christmas decorations and at the climax Will and local boy Davey exchanged holiday greetings. They didn't make a big deal out of the holiday, but it was all over the background.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
However, the first season had the exceptional "Return from Outer Space" which ran between Christmas and New Years Day in 1965. The town of Hatfield Four Corners was done up with various Christmas decorations and at the climax Will and local boy Davey exchanged holiday greetings. They didn't make a big deal out of the holiday, but it was all over the background.
I saw that as more incidental. Had the episode been specifically Christmas-themed (like for instance showing the Robinson family carrying on with Christmas before Will gets sent back) it would have counted but it wasn't specific enough to be a true "Christmas episode" from my standpoint.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I saw that as more incidental. Had the episode been specifically Christmas-themed (like for instance showing the Robinson family carrying on with Christmas before Will gets sent back) it would have counted but it wasn't specific enough to be a true "Christmas episode" from my standpoint.
That's understandable and they really did keep it in the background for the most part. However, it is there. There are decorations and a big tree in Davey's Aunt's living room (knowing Irwin Allen it's the same tree as soon on the Seaview) and it's mentioned in he dialog.

This is one of the few episodes that actually says more in the subtext. Every kid seen in the episode is from a broken home or separated from family. Christmas isn't happy for these kids, but Will is happy with his family on an alien planet so far from home they apparently forgot it's Christmastime on Earth. Will is trying to get home in this story but it's not Earth he's trying to reach. It may not be a "Christmas episode" per se, but it is important enough to make it part of the backdrop and it did air during the holidays.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Gunsmoke, Season 17, Episode 15 - "P.S. Murray Christmas"

I'm currently near the end of watching the first season of Gunsmoke from 1955 (I posted earlier in this thread about a season-one holiday episode). The season-one episodes are 26 minutes and in Black and White. So it was quite a jump to 1971, color, and a 50-minute episode.

Jack Elum play Titus Spangler, who gets fired from his duties at an orphanage for having a little too much to drink (he can't pump the bellows fast enough for the organ as the children sing carols). Look closely and you might recognize Erin Moran.

1715a.JPG

When Spangler leaves, the kids beg to go with him because their strict orphan keeper refuses to let them have Christmas. So they all hitch a freight. Spangler keeps them entertained with stories until their boxcar is unhitched and left outside of Dodge.

1715b.JPG

Jodie Foster (below, left) plays one of the orphans.

1715c.JPG

Jeanette Nolan plays the hard, cold orphan keeper. She tracks Grundy and the kids to Dodge.

It's nice to see Kitty and Matt still light up the screen seventeen years later as they drink a Merry Christmas toast to each other.

1715d.JPG

I'm really enjoying these Gunsmoke episodes. And look at me--I've mellowed. Not too long ago, I was very strict about watching every episode of a series in order, no exceptions. But the holiday spirit--and this wonderful thread--made me jump ahead seventen years for this one. I'm glad I did. :) Merry Christmas!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
First wave of different versions of "Christmas Carol."

Scrooge (1935)
-60 minute British film starring Seymour Hicks. Comes off like a 1920s theatrical piece more (even has the conceit of an invisible Marley to the audience).

A Christmas Carol (1938)
-The 70 minute MGM production gets points for showing the studio's sense of style, but the adaptation itself is one of the least faithful (Cratchit gets sacked when he unintentionally throws a snowball at Scrooge; we get a very truncated Christmas Past sequence; and Scrooge as played by Reginald Owen in a very obvious skullcap is "reforming" much too soon in the past scenes). This is why I watch it early and save better versions for later. Gene Lockhart and wife Kathleen play Mr. and Mrs. Cratchit and their daughter, 11 year old June Lockhart is one of the Cratchit children. June is still with us of course 83 years later.

A Christmas Carol (1955)
-"Shower of Stars" TV production with Frederic March as Scrooge and Basil Rathbone as Marley.

The Stingiest Man In Town (1956)
-An elaborate 90 minute musical aired live on NBC with Rathbone this time as Scrooge. Was a "lost" production for over a half century until a kinescope was found in the possessions of an executive from the program's sponsor, Alcoa.

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
That's understandable and they really did keep it in the background for the most part. However, it is there. There are decorations and a big tree in Davey's Aunt's living room (knowing Irwin Allen it's the same tree as soon on the Seaview) and it's mentioned in he dialog.

This is one of the few episodes that actually says more in the subtext. Every kid seen in the episode is from a broken home or separated from family. Christmas isn't happy for these kids, but Will is happy with his family on an alien planet so far from home they apparently forgot it's Christmastime on Earth. Will is trying to get home in this story but it's not Earth he's trying to reach. It may not be a "Christmas episode" per se, but it is important enough to make it part of the backdrop and it did air during the holidays.
Listen to some of the music cues on this episode. The cues are from Miracle on 34th Street 1947.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yes! Good point that I forgot to mention. So, I take it back... that pretty much solidifies this as a "Christmas Episode" for me.

So I'll split the baby here (metaphorically speaking). Jack P has a good point that the episode only casually and briefly mentions Christmas, and that the holiday is not a central part of the plot in any way, shape or form. But on the other hand the episode did air around Christmas and does have a Yuletide background, utilizes 20th Century Fox music cues from Miracle on 34th Street, and makes use of decorations and a mention of the season toward the end. So I'd say it can qualify as a Christmas episode, but it's not real "Christmassy".

Tonight we watched the TV movie in the Little House on the Prairie series - "Bless all the Dear Children". The plot was somewhat intense and not necessarily one that you'd associate with Christmas. While visiting in the larger town of Mankato, Laura Ingalls Wilder and her husband Almanzo have their daughter Rose kidnapped. The film focuses on their search for her, while more festive happenings take place back in Walnut Grove. As is almost always the case with this series, the movie ends on a very, Merry Christmas note.

This series had four Christmas-themed episodes (five if you count the Pilot), and all but one are essential viewing at our house. This TV Movie, Season 1's "Christmas at Plum Creek", and Season 8's "The Christmas They Never Forgot". All three of those are solid and very enjoyable. Highly recommended. The only episode in the series that is NOT recommended is the very somber Season 3's "Blizzard". If you want to feel good after watching a Christmas episode avoid this one.

Gary "less than 3 weeks of viewing time left already!!!" O.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm sorry, guys...I tried, but I just couldn't do it. Made it 5 minutes into the Dennis the Menace "The Fifteen Foot Christmas Tree" episode and had to bail. That Jay North kid was just way too annoying. Apologies to fans of the show...I'll try and give it another chance some day.

Hazel - 1.12 "Hazel's Christmas Shopping"
On the plus side, another show I'd been avoiding for a while turned out to be a very enjoyable watch. I was worried that I'd find Shirley Booth's Hazel character obnoxious...but actually, she won me over right away in this, my first exposure to the series. Booth plays the live-in housemaid for a upper middle class family made up of lawyer father George Baxter (Don DeFore), his very attractive interior designer wife, Dorothy (Whitney Blake), and their tow-headed little boy, Harold (Bobby Buntrock). Hazel is no-nonsense, forthright but lovable, and while it's obvious that she pretty much runs the household, it's also obvious that she cares very much for the family she works for.

This episode revolves around Hazel taking a side job at a department store in order to earn extra money to buy a Christmas present for Dorothy (who she calls "Missy"). Straight-shooter Hazel is perhaps not the ideal salesclerk, but ends up with a bonus after inadvertently helping the store manager catch a shoplifter. This is typical '60s sitcom fare, which is just fine in my book...and it's played with charm and energy by its talented cast. I've grown quite fond of Don DeFore from his work as Thorny on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, and its fun to see him in a more central role. Bobby Buntrock, while no great thespian, seems like a real, recognizable kid (unlike Jay North), and gorgeous Whitney Blake is always welcome on my television screen. Also with familiar character actors Byron Foulger, Dan Tobin, Eleanor Audley and Helen Spring.

vlcsnap-2021-12-06-21h15m35s750.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-06-21h18m25s257.png

Continuing the "new to me" seasonal viewings:

The Forest Rangers - 1.38 "A Christmas Story"
A few years ago I watched "Santa Macleod," the Christmas episode which kicks off S3 of this 1963-1965 Canadian adventure series. That one was full of outdoor survival drama and ends on a heart-warming note. This one also features reprobate prospector Macleod (Joe Austin), whose tightwad ways result in another man, a calm, friendly Indian (Len Birman) passing through the settlement, being mistaken as a thief. Not as good as "Santa McLeod," with a rather odd story that doesn't really go anywhere. That said, it's still a pleasant watch, thanks to solid performances and an interesting and unusual location. We also get the added bonus of the very first appearance in the series by Gordon Pinsett, as recurring character RCMP Sergeant Scott. Pinsett was a fine actor and carved out a respectable career for himself in films and television in the U.S. for several decades. Seems like the entire 40 episode (!!) first season of this show is available in decent quality on YouTube.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm sorry, guys...I tried, but I just couldn't do it. Made it 5 minutes into the Dennis the Menace "The Fifteen Foot Christmas Tree" episode and had to bail. That Jay North kid was just way too annoying. Apologies to fans of the show...I'll try and give it another chance some day.

The Hazel episode is a top-notch holiday treat. No doubt about it. And like you, Jeff, I've always been a bit concerned that Shirley Booth's character would be too obnoxious for me to handle. Not a fan of the thick Brooklyn accent that she employees, and the over-the-top busy-body attitude the series demands she portray isn't really my favorite. Most of the time though, like you, I find that Don DeFore and Whitney Blake offset those annoying traits enough to make most episodes enjoyable enough. And this Christmas episode you referenced is far better than the 4th season offering from the series, "Just 86 Shopping Minutes till Christmas", which was a bit of a letdown, imho.

I've seen both Forest Rangers Christmas episodes, and they are agreeable. "Santa MacLeod" is a bit more Christmassy if you ask me, but both are nice.

Now, as for Dennis the Menace's "The 15 Foot Christmas Tree", I think you should give it a full run. It really shines as a solid holiday episode, especially once Joseph Kearns gets involved in helping Dennis find the perfect "real" Christmas tree in the woods. This episode never fails to put a smile on my face, and is a perennial in my book. I do understand the "Jay North is too annoying" angle and sentiment. And that's why Kearn's presence in the series is so important. He offsets this perfectly in our home. Especially in an episode like this one. So I'm hoping you'll give it another shot, Jeff.

Gary "thanks to everyone for sharing their views and impressions with us" O.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Does anybody have recommendations on where to and what episodes to watch on Roku? I notice that several Roku channels have a "holiday" section but I don't watch Roku much and there is a lot of channels so when I turn it on mostly I end up wasting a lot of time searching to see what is on it. If anybody watching Roku here has a list of good channels to find this stuff I'd be happy to hear it.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

Jeff, I know Gary likes this episode, but I don't. It's my least favorite of the three Christmas episodes the series did. Two of us recommended the first season Christmas episode, "The Christmas Story." I'd say to try that one. Dennis becomes more annoying on many occasions as the series progresses and is less so in Season 1, particularly the clever pilot episode.

As for Hazel, I just like Shirley Booth and so I like watching Hazel. She won two Emmys for playing this character, after she'd already won three Tonys and an Oscar. The first season of Hazel is the best, as the series progresses the plots get either dull or rather unbelievable, especially the last season when the family changes to George's brother's family. But, as I said, she makes it worthwhile, for me anyway. She also played Dolly Levi in the film The Matchmaker, which was from the original play by Thornton Wilder. It also stars Anthony Perkins, Robert Morse and Shirley MacLaine. Because of the subsequent musical people aren't as interested in this film any more.

Martin "Do Gary and I like any of the same things?" P. :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Martin "Do Gary and I like any of the same things?" P. :)

I like all three Dennis the Menace Christmas episodes, and the 1st Season of Hazel. But we can cut to the chase on this highly important question you raised.

I'm going to name off five, out of say twenty-five, of my very favorite Christmas episodes in no particular order. If you don't like any of them then we'll call it a day and meet in the town square at dawn to settle matters. :laugh:

Dr Kildare - "Season to be Jolly"
Lassie S5 - "The Christmas Story"
Ozzie & Harriet - "Busy Christmas"
Have Gun, Will Travel - "The Hanging Cross"
Dragnet - "The Big Little Jesus" (aka "The Christmas Story")

Gary "if you pooh-pooh all of them you'll have to surrender your Christmas card" O. :emoji_christmas_tree:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ok, so I’ve watched stuff over the past few days but I was not so great at keeping notes so I don’t know exactly what happened when.

Continuing with the Frasier Christmas episodes, my wife and I watched the next four on that DVD. I forget which episodes/seasons they are from. I think the highlight of the batch was the one where they each recount their Christmas frustrations during a massage session and we get to see the holiday preparations from everyone’s POV, including Niles getting stuck in an elevator. I also really love the one where the Cranes have to pretend to be Jewish to satisfy Frasier’s date’s mother.

I watched a season one Alfred Hitchcock Presents where the mall Santa is an ex-con who winds up stealing from the department store to make the kids’ dreams come true. Barry Fitzgerald is a perfect bit of casting there.

I watched the first season Dennis the Menace Christmas episode where he’s looking everywhere for his presents. I don’t think based on this one showing that I’m going to be a regular viewer for the complete series but I’ll happily give the other two episodes a shot.

I think that covers the weekend.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Good stuff, Josh. Glad to hear you are moving forward and enjoying the Christmas season!!

Gary "watching 'The Small One', a fantastic Disney short from 1978, tonight" O.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Ok, so I’ve watched stuff over the past few days but I was not so great at keeping notes so I don’t know exactly what happened when.

Continuing with the Frasier Christmas episodes, my wife and I watched the next four on that DVD. I forget which episodes/seasons they are from. I think the highlight of the batch was the one where they each recount their Christmas frustrations during a massage session and we get to see the holiday preparations from everyone’s POV, including Niles getting stuck in an elevator. I also really love the one where the Cranes have to pretend to be Jewish to satisfy Frasier’s date’s mother.

I watched a season one Alfred Hitchcock Presents where the mall Santa is an ex-con who winds up stealing from the department store to make the kids’ dreams come true. Barry Fitzgerald is a perfect bit of casting there.

I watched the first season Dennis the Menace Christmas episode where he’s looking everywhere for his presents. I don’t think based on this one showing that I’m going to be a regular viewer for the complete series but I’ll happily give the other two episodes a shot.

I think that covers the weekend.

I love that episode of Frasier, too, but it is a pet peeve plot point of mine when sit-coms do this - and so many do. For instance, there is an episode of The Partridge Family where Keith convinces Laurie to pretend to be his date to make a girl jealous. What happens if the relationship works out? Frasier will eventually have to explain to Mrs. Moskowitz that his family is not Jewish even though they went to great lengths to fool her. Like I said, every sit-com seems to do this plot at some point. Generally in comedies I can let go of logic but the "what then?" aspect just gets me in these episodes. Sorry for the rant. The acting and writing in that episode of Frasier are wonderful, I admit, and Frasier and his Dad making up is classic.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know it’s crazy but I’ve known people in real life who will ask their friends or significant others to pretend something absurd with their parents. I think the thought process is that either the parents aren’t going to be around to make it worth the trouble, or the new person isn’t expected to last long enough in the social circle to make it worth it.

I think in this episode the excuse was that the girlfriend had a seven hour flight with the mother and didn’t want to get lectured all the way from Seattle to Florida. So at least they made an effort to find a justification for it :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A few more "Christmas Carol" related items.

Bah, Humbug!
-This is a 1994 PBS documentary/special hosted by Robert MacNeil in which we see a dramatic reading of the tale by Martin Sheen and James Earl Jones accompanied by some background on the story itself.

Scrooge (1970)
-This musical version I have to admit as the years go by is more of an obligation because of my childhood years of the 70s seeing it on TV, enjoying some of the songs (and how the local TV stations in NY would have haunting commercial bumper sequences set to a spooky chiming sound), but to be honest, the script of this version leaves a lot to be desired. So much of the heart and soul of the story is left out to give us a Scrooge (and a population of London for that matter) that only seems to view Christmas as an occasion of partying, drinking and excess splurging on gift giving (and that really, all Ebenezer needed to do was "loosen up"). There's nothing in the subtext about the true meaning of Christmas and Alec Guinness, after a scary entrance as Marley's ghost ends up being a sadistic fop (he and Bricusse seemed to forget that the whole point of his appearance was because of his *compassion* for Scrooge) and this gets compounded with a ludicrous "Hell" sequence during Christmas Yet To Come that was *always* cut from TV broadcasts when I first experienced the film for many years in the 70s (I never saw it until the first VHS release in the late 80s). I still like a lot of the score and I feel like I have to see it with other adaptations too, but it's miles behind the best ones (which I save for last and which are the 1951 and 1984 versions).

The Odd Couple, S1-"Scrooge Gets An Oscar"
-And we dip into one of the best of the "Scrooge parody/parallel" episodes that classic TV is so noted for. Love it when Felix, unable to get Oscar to play Scrooge has the Poker Players read the part. If this is the best "parody" Scrooge episode, then the best "parallel" one I'll eventually get to is "Six Million Dollar Man" (saving that for later now).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks