1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Christmas Episodes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    So great to see the original and most comprehensive HTF TV Christmas episodes thread back in action! I can’t understand why other threads were started on the exact same topic when this one has already covered the subject just fine and has numerous great, fun posts to explore. Ah well, such is the nature of online forums and folks posting without researching first. (This common occurrence has become a particular pet peeve of mine, but lest I start to rant and rave and resemble our resident TV thread curmudgeon here, I’ll say no more!).

Back on topic, I have a question of this thread’s faithful: If you are watching a series on DVD/Blu in consecutive order and come to a Christmas episode in the rotation, do you wait until the holiday season to watch that particular show or do you just keep watching it as a part of the original episode order?

Darby67, Flashgear, Lee Smith and 3 others like this.
  2. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter

Rob Ray
    I skip it and add it to my Christmas viewing list.

3. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    I will skip Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's episodes of each series that I own where there is a holiday episode and watch them only for that particular holiday.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Gary OS like this.
  4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I do things a bit differently. I like falling asleep to TV, so if I'm not watching something online, I have a flash drive full of The Beverly Hillbillies and Memphis Wrestling, and I'll choose what I want to doze off to. I keep the Christmas episodes in the rotation (yes, there's a clip of a Christmas special from 1976 with Jerry Lawler demanding the Christmas scene be took down so he can wrestle!). About November I plug that flash drive in my computer, create a new folder for Christmas episodes, move those episodes over to that folder, as well as adding some episodes from Ozzie and Harriet and various Christmas movies/videos and watch those until Christmas is over. After Christmas the new folder gets deleted and the Clampetts and wrestling Christmas episodes go back in rotation with the regular series.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Gary OS like this.
  5. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Sounds like a great plan, Ron! Any time you can combine Jerry “the King” Lawler with Christmas you’ve struck a winning formula.

Gary “only about 3 months till I start watching Christmas TV episodes in earnest” O.

6. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I do not partake of Christmas episodes in August but right now as part of a project over the last few years of transferring reel to reel tapes something remarkable has surfaced. The bulk of what I've done are vintage sports broadcasts from the 70s and 80s but sometimes rare radio seeps through. In this case recordings from two Albany area radio stations on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 1963.

The reverence of these *network* radio presentations for the season are astonishing and beautiful.....and they also make you want to weep for how this respectful observance of the day and the season was lost in the years to come.

7. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks for sharing that, Jack. I echo your sentiments.

Gary “It was a very different world back then” O.

8. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    are you posting these somewhere?

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  9. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    I can only imagine that was a particularly solemn Christmas season in 1963, only a little more than a month after the President was assassinated. I agree that while there have been numerous gains in our lives and its commensurate culture since then, there are many instances of second nature propriety and everyday decency from back then which have faded. I live part of the year these days in Germany where all stores and businesses are still closed on Sundays. Sometimes it’s a hassle, spoiled American that I am, haha, but I often enjoy the slower pace and more restful atmosphere, in addition to the memories it evokes from my 60’s childhood.

10. Jack P

Jack P Producer

11. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks, Jack! Appreciate you sharing these wonderful Christmas treasures!

Gary “look forward to listening to these” O.

12. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Sounds very nice, Glen!

Gary “I long for a return to those ideals and simpler times, especially as it pertains to the Christmas season” O.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67, Jack P and 2 others like this.
  13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I generally skip a Christmas episode and save it for the Yuletide season, Glen.

Gary “good question” O.