What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (2 Viewers)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My double feature tonight was LHOTP Christmas episode from season 8 based on Gary's recommendation above (had never seen it before), and Kildare season 1, "Season to be Jolly" (a recommendation from Gary many years back). Both highlight episodes for the holidays.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
smithbrad said:
My double feature tonight was LHOTP Christmas episode from season 8 based on Gary's recommendation above (had never seen it before), and Kildare season 1, "Season to be Jolly" (a recommendation from Gary many years back). Both highlight episodes for the holidays.

I hope they brought you and your family as much enjoyment as they have mine over the years, Brad.

Gary "and have a very Merry Christmas, buddy" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Too busy for in depth reviews, but watched a couple more last night, though each were pretty marginal. In fact, the "Boys' Christmas Money" episode of THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET I wouldn't consider a Christmas episode at all. It's a cute, funny episode, but outside of having Christmas in the title and a couple of brief mentions of the holiday, it's a real cheat for Shout Factory to have included it in their Christmas With The Nelsons set. There are far more appropriate O&H Christmas episodes they could have used!

Also watched RETURN FROM OUTER SPACE on the Blu release of LOST IN SPACE, a real childhood favorite. Because it was black and white, I don't think CBS re-ran it every December during the rest of the series' run and we longed to see it again. It's not much of a Christmas story, but I love it. Though in later years in re-watching the series and noting that the Robinson's flight into space took place in the future 1990's, I wonder why everything in the small town Will is beamed to seems to be from the 1940's!

Probably won't have time for more shows and certainly not posting, so Merry Christmas to Gary and everyone who has contributed to my favorite Christmas Show thread on HTF (why there are two separate threads dealing with the same subject I have no idea).HTF is pretty quiet these days, so I went back and read this thread from the early days when there was a lot of bustling activity and it was fun to see again.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The other thread I think started as a Christmas in August gimmick and then kind of took on a life of its own as a thread for posting what we saw when this one didn't get bumped soon enough. I kind of got committed into making my entries for this year in that thread though next year I'll remember to be back on board with my postings for this one!

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In all fairness, at the time this thread was created many years ago I limited it to TV Christmas-themed episodes. If I remember, there was another thread at the same time that focused on Christmas movies. But as Jack said, a new thread was created early this year and it did take on a life of its own. But I have this thread saved in my "favorites" bookmark folder and used it instinctively again this Christmas season. No harm, no foul in my book either way. I'm just glad a few folks have enjoyed it again.

I finished up last night with a flurry. Watched Have Gun, Will Travel (both episodes), Dragnet, 'Twas the Night before Christmas (a fave with the wife and daughters), The Andy Griffith Show, Honeymooners, and another Ozzie & Harriet ("The Christmas Tree Lot" this time). As seems to be the case most every year, I missed a bunch of perennial favorites because of a time crunch. My ultimate holiday viewing season would be having absolutely no appointments or emergencies take up even one day or evening from Thanksgiving to Christmas Day so that every day, starting right after supper, I could devote several hours to watching these wonderful things. Sigh... Maybe one day... :)

Gary "Merry Christmas to everyone!!!" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Knew I was forgetting one more from last night - A Charlie Brown Christmas. That one, along with Dr Kildare, HGWT (S1), Fury, Lassie (S5) and Dragnet are absolute musts every single year. There are plenty of others that I watch yearly, but those are the special ones that I make sure I personally watch every single Christmas. The deeper meaning of the season communicated in each of these lift my spirits.

Gary "the Davey & Goliath episode also works well in terms of encouragement" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Since several people asked me about bumping up my old thread (since had fallen so far back in the line), I believe primarily to check on which vintage TV series might or might not have Christmas episodes, here you go. Feel free to browse, as I think we covered the vast majority of them back in the day.

Gary "hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Hey, Gary! A belated thanks for this old thread, as it did remind me of some shows I'd forgotten about, like the Christmas episodes to "Steve Canyon," "Donna Reed Show," and such, which I dug out for my holiday viewings. Nothing really beats those "Ozzie and Harriet" Christmas shows, though. They seem to get better with each viewing, always putting me in just the right mood for the season!

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Nice Thread.

The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet- All of ‘em

The Andy Griffith Show - Christmas Story

The Bob Newhart Show - His Busiest Season, Christmas Dinner For Two (probably some others, but I haven't seen them in a while).

Cheers - Christmas Cheers

The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Alan Brady Show Presents

Everybody Loves Raymond - Christmas Present, All I Want For Christmas, The Christmas Picture, The Thought That counts

Family Ties - Miracle In Columbus

Home Improvement - All

The King Of Queens - Nocturnal Omission, Better Camera

Mad About You - Met Someone

Married With Children - You Better Watch Out

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Not A Christmas Story

Taxi - Get Me Through The Holidays, A Full House For Christmas

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Nice Thread.

The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet- All of ‘em

The Andy Griffith Show - Christmas Story

The Bob Newhart Show - His Busiest Season, Christmas Dinner For Two (probably some others, but I haven't seen them in a while).

Cheers - Christmas Cheers

The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Alan Brady Show Presents

Everybody Loves Raymond - Christmas Present, All I Want For Christmas, The Christmas Picture, The Thought That counts

Family Ties - Miracle In Columbus

Home Improvement - All

The King Of Queens - Nocturnal Omission, Better Camera

Mad About You - Met Someone

Married With Children - You Better Watch Out

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Not A Christmas Story

Taxi - Get Me Through The Holidays, A Full House For Christmas

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Several of those are on my watch list every year as well. Thanks for sharing!

Gary "I really had to pick up the pace on viewing my TV episodes about 3 days out from Christmas - I got behind a bit watching TCM Christmas stuff" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hey, Gary! A belated thanks for this old thread, as it did remind me of some shows I'd forgotten about, like the Christmas episodes to "Steve Canyon," "Donna Reed Show," and such, which I dug out for my holiday viewings. Nothing really beats those "Ozzie and Harriet" Christmas shows, though. They seem to get better with each viewing, always putting me in just the right mood for the season!

Thanks, Bert. Both Ozzie & Harriet and Lassie has over half a dozen solid Christmas episodes! I never let a Christmas go by without making sure I watch at least two episodes from each series.

Gary “The Steve Canyon episode is underrated” O.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Has “All Creatures Great & Small” been mentioned? Specifically season 2, “God You Merry Gentleman” episode. It’s the only episode of a series that has made it into our yearly Xmas schedule. Highly recommend the series and the episode.

I mentioned "Merry Gentlemen" in the other Christmas TV thread. Agreed, it's a terrific episode and a wonderful series.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Will be adding another Christmas TV episode to my collection this month when the 2nd season of Public Defender is released. “Socrates” is the interesting title to this Yuletide offering from Reed Hadley’s fine b&w legal/crime series.

Gary “looking forward to seeing this cleaned up and finally on dvd” O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Will be adding another Christmas TV episode to my collection this month when the 2nd season of Public Defender is released. “Socrates” is the interesting title to this Yuletide offering from Reed Hadley’s fine b&w legal/crime series.

Gary “looking forward to seeing this cleaned up and finally on dvd” O.

I don't remember ever seeing the Christmas episode to the series. Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to this 2nd-Season set, and I have it pre-ordered. Had a great time with the 1st-season. I hope these sell well so that ClassicFlix might consider some other vintage Hal Roach series. There are several others I'd love to see. Have no idea if they sport any Christmas episodes, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks