What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Smith
There are some really great Christmas shows being talked about but I would add The Jack Benny Christmas show. I make sure I watch it yearly LOL
I enjoy these as well. There were at least 5 Christmas episodes from The Jack Benny Show that I'm aware of, but I've only got a couple myself.
Originally Posted by LeoAmes
I haven't seen anyone mention The King Family Show Christmas specials.
Yikes, I don't have any idea what these are. Can you enlighten me, Leo?
Gary "watched the silly, yet sentimental, Partridge Family Christmas episode with the kids last night" O.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm always shocked that studios never put out compilations of just Christmas epsiodes. I would love to have such sets purely for convenience. It's hard trying to dig through complete season sets searching for the holiday episodes.

Where's the love for "All in the Family"? There are several good Christmas episodes from that show.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always shocked that studios never put out compilations of just Christmas epsiodes. I would love to have such sets purely for convenience. It's hard trying to dig through complete season sets searching for the holiday episodes.
Mill Creek has a Collection of Christmas Episodes called Holiday TV Classics, which containd 49 episodes from many older TV Shows. (I do not have it) If anyone else want's to put in their two cents worth go for it!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The King Family Show was a 1960s musical variety show that featured The King Sisters and their extended family (Including The King Cousins, which included the very attactive Tine Cole (Played Katie on My Three Sons) and her equally attractive sister, Cathy). Their 17 holiday specials during the 1960s and 1970s were especially popular, with their Christmas oriented ones being a staple of Christmas television programming for many families during their original airings and reruns for many years. Some of these holiday specials are available on DVD from Marilyn King (One of the King Sisters), while their first new special in many years, featuring many highlights of their past classics, is now available from their official site (And being aired in some markets).

http://www.marilynking.com/VideoPage.html

http://www.officialkingfamily.com/index_D0NP.html And even though this isn't from one of their holiday specials, but rather from the first regular run of this as a television show (Ran from 1965 to 1966, then returned in 1969), I can't resist posting this none the less. It's The King Cousins singing 'Today I'm in Love' in 1965, with Cathy doing the lead vocals. The King Family also has several other official clips up on YouTube as well, but this one is my favorite. Wish this would see a complete DVD release. But it's largely hasn't been syndicated for many years beyond occasional Christmas specials, and I haven't even seen one of those aired in quite a while now.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for that info on The King Family Show Christmas specials, Leo. I'll have to look into those a bit more for potential future purchases.
Just got done watching both Christmas episodes from Have Gun, Will Travel. I've always thought both were very well done, incorporating religious themes quite heavily. The first season outing is a particular favorite of mine as it utilizes one of my all-time favorite cues from the CBS Music Library, "Religious Procession No. 1", during Paladin's impromptu sermon at the church. Great stuff all the way around.
I also watched those two Arnie Christmas episodes, Point Blank (if you're reading). Very enjoyable!
Gary "so many episodes left to view, so little time" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I had planned on resurrecting this thread the day after Thanksgiving, which is traditionally when I begin my marathon of TV Show Christmas episodes, but today my Medic dvd set arrived and I promptly loaded and watched "Red Christmas". Wow. It's not a feel-good Christmas episode, but it is pretty powerful, especially for a series from the 50's. Very sobering (and that's not meant as a play on words even though the episode content might make you think I'm joking). At least the first few minutes were somewhat upbeat and Christmassy.

Anyone else want to join in and share some thoughts on Christmas episodes you like or have watched recently?

Gary "guess I'm starting a few days early this year" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, thanks for bumping this one. Before we know it, it'll be here
4jvvuw.jpg
c42rt.jpg

I don't have the Christmas episode collection that you have but here's some of my favorites that I watch every year, in approx favorite order:
HAPPY DAYS: SEASON 2 - Christmas with the Fonz - this one's probably my favorite, an annual viewing
LOVE BOAT: SEASON 1 - Silent Night, same, annual tradition
A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS (1965), every year for this one
BEWITCHED: SEASON 1 - Visions of Sugar Plums , most years
DONNA REED SHOW: SEASON 1 - A Very Merry Christmas
FATHER KNOWS BEST: SEASON 1 - Christmas Story
FATHER KNOWS BEST: SEASON 3 – The Angel’s Sweater
FURY: SEASON 3 – The Wayfarer
ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW: SEASON 1 - Christmas Story
I haven't seen the DR KILDARE episode but it's on the menu this year.
Also this year: HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL S1 - The Cross
and JOHNNY STACCATO - Three Unwise Men
kei1yf.jpg

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Great list, Jeff! Some that you have mentioned are in my "must see yearly" lineup as well.

Gary "love the Christmas village" O.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have several Christmas themed dvds ready to go this week. Of course will watch Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol. That is a yearly tradition for me. Plus several versions of A Christmass Carol. Love the versions with George Scott and Patrick Steward.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
LeoAmes said:
And even though this isn't from one of their holiday specials, but rather from the first regular run of this as a television show (Ran from 1965 to 1966, then returned in 1969), I can't resist posting this none the less. It's The King Cousins singing 'Today I'm in Love' in 1965, with Cathy doing the lead vocals. The King Family also has several other official clips up on YouTube as well, but this one is my favorite.
I'm not the only one here with the King Family bookmarked on YouTube! Here's my favorite - Tina singing lead on "Happy Heart".

I'll have to check out "Today I'm in Love".
I haven't seen either the King Family or Andy Williams specials listed for the local PBS stations (I get 3 between home and work) but it's early.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Some of my favorites:
Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: Busy Christmas, Lost Christmas Gift
Dragnet: A .22 Rifle for Christmas
The Honeymooners: 'Twas The Night Before Christmas
Dragnet 1968: The Christmas Story
JAG: All Ye Faithful
Lois & Clark: 'Twas the Night Before Myxmas
Night Gallery: The Messiah on Mott Street
Roswell: A Roswell Christmas Carol
Space: Above and Beyond: River of Stars

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark-edk /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/30#post_3873195
Some of my favorites:
Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: Busy Christmas, Lost Christmas Gift
Dragnet: A .22 Rifle for Christmas
The Honeymooners: 'Twas The Night Before Christmas
Dragnet 1968: The Christmas Story
JAG: All Ye Faithful
Lois & Clark: 'Twas the Night Before Myxmas
Night Gallery: The Messiah on Mott Street
Roswell: A Roswell Christmas Carol
Space: Above and Beyond: River of Stars

Some great choices there, Mark. I'm especially fond of "Busy Christmas" from the Ozzie & Harriet series. More than likely you are watching the repeated version (that's the one that makes the rounds on the dvd front) from 1964. I plugged that one in last night and I actually like it better than the original because of the personalized ending with Dave and Rick's wives and kids. Great stuff, imho. The b/w Dragnet episode is kind of a downer (.22 Rifle), but I love the iconic color episode from '68. The Honeymooners and Lois & Clark episode you mentioned are faves as well.

Gary "Christmas is easily my favorite time of the year" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes#post_3873106
I have several Christmas themed dvds ready to go this week. Of course will watch Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol. That is a yearly tradition for me. Plus several versions of A Christmass Carol. Love the versions with George Scott and Patrick Steward.
I've got to pull out that Magoo Christmas Carol again. It's been a while since I've watched that one.

Gary "speaking of Christmas Carol versions, how about 'A Bionic Christmas Carol' from the 6MDM?" O.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Yes the re-air of 'Busy Christmas' with the real-life segment at the end is the one to watch. Totally agree!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark-edk /t/295423/favorite-christmas-episodes/30#post_3873716
Yes the re-air of 'Busy Christmas' with the real-life segment at the end is the one to watch. Totally agree!
No doubt about it. If watching the Nelson grandchildren, and listening to Rick sing "The Christmas Song", at the end of that episode doesn't get one in the mood for the holidays then they are truly a Scrooge.

Gary "my Christmas viewing starts in earnest tonight" O.

Wezzo

Second Unit
A few more modern favourites of mine:
The Simpsons - Marge Be Not Proud (S7)
Frasier - Miracle on 3rd or 4th Street (S1)
Hey Arnold - Arnold's Christmas (S1)
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - 'Twas The Night Before The Christening (S4)
Community - Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (S2)
Home Improvement - 'Twas The Flight Before Christmas (S5)
Futurama - Xmas Story (S2)
King of the Hill - The Unbearable Blindness of Laying (S2)
Malcolm in the Middle - Christmas (S3)
The West Wing - In Excelsis Deo (S1)
Moonlighting - 'Twas the Episode Before Christmas (S2)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Wesley, I've only seen a couple of the episodes you mentioned. I do like some of the earlier Home Improvement Christmas episodes (I think they did one each year they were on the air), but I also do remember really liking the one you are referencing!

Gary "I generally prefer 50's/60's Christmas episodes, but there are some from the 70's - 90's that I also really enjoy" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Watched the 2nd Season episode from Family Ties last night. It's not going to win any awards, but for some reason my family and I always enjoy it. Meredith Baxter seems to get a kick out of playing her future self in the latter part of the episode. Then we watched the I Love Lucy Christmas episode. It's nice enough for repeated viewing every couple of years. I then plugged in the hour long version of "Miracle on 34th Street" from the 20th Century Fox Hour. Of course this episode can't hold a candle to the film, which is an iconic classic. In fact its not very good at all, but I'm still glad I have it in my collection just for completion sake.

Gary "anyone else watching Christmas-themed episodes yet - or is it too early for most folks?" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Watched the 2nd Season episode from Family Ties last night.  It's not going to win any awards, but for some reason my family and I always enjoy it.  Meredith Baxter seems to get a kick out of playing her future self in the latter part of the episode.  Then we watched the I Love Lucy Christmas episode.  It's nice enough for repeated viewing every couple of years.  I then plugged in the hour long version of "Miracle on 34th Street" from the 20th Century Fox Hour.  Of course this episode can't hold a candle to the film, which is an iconic classic.  In fact its not very good at all, but I'm still glad I have it in my collection just for completion sake.
Gary "anyone else watching Christmas-themed episodes yet - or is it too early for most folks?" O.
I plan on starting earlier than I did last year. I let the time fly by last year and didn't see some of my annual favorites.
Additions to the
mltm5d.jpg
menu for this year:
BEVERLY HILLBILLIES S1: 2-parter "Home for Christmas" & "No Place Like Home"
BEVERLY HILLBILLIES S2: "Christmas at the Clampetts"
EIGHT IS ENOUGH (2 parter)
MATLOCK: SEASON 4 - The Scrooge
SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN: SEASON 4 : "A Bionic Christmas Carol"
24liyck.jpg

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
There are standard Christmas movies we watch every year, but I've never gone through a list of Christmas TV episodes before. Maybe this year I will start a new trend. I will start with shows the kids have become familiar with the last few years. That will include the likes of Lassie, Fury, Dennis the Menace, Little House on the Prairie, and others I will need to check. Then I will need to go through other shows I'm familiar with that they aren't for after they go to bed (e.g., Andy Griffith Show, Father Knows Best, I Love Lucy).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks