What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
How about the Christmas episode of Superman where Macey Taylor, Uncle George, Colonel Brand and Elsa (behind the Tree) celebrate Chritmas with the Dailey Planet's finest at the Bayou Hotel. :)

Attachments

• evil_three_holiday.jpg
    evil_three_holiday.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 20

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Run For Your Life
"Time and a Half on Christmas Eve"
Ernest Borgnine guest stars as a lonely taxi driver who convinces a client with nowhere in particular to go, Paul Bryan (Ben Gazzara), to accompany him to his former home... where his exwife lives with their children and her new husband and they are not very glad to see him.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. once wrote in The New York Times about the Christmas episode of "Amos 'n' Andy" and how much it meant to him and other southern blacks when it aired every year. When he found the episode on VHS tape as an adult, he tried to interest his daughters in it, only to have them roundly reject it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Vic Pardo said:
Black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. once wrote in The New York Times about the Christmas episode of "Amos 'n' Andy" and how much it meant to him and other southern blacks when it aired every year. When he found the episode on VHS tape as an adult, he tried to interest his daughters in it, only to have them roundly reject it.
That's sad to hear because it really was a great Christmas episode. In my top 25 for sure!

Gary "only a couple more days before I start watching" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Watched "Once Upon a Starry Night" from Grizzly Adams tonight. A very nice TV film from the series. If only the print had been better - this was filmed in such a beautiful winter spot. I'd recommend this one to anybody.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! :)

Gary "my Christmas viewing will start in earnest tomorrow" O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:
Watched "Once Upon a Starry Night" from Grizzly Adams tonight. A very nice TV film from the series. If only the print had been better - this was filmed in such a beautiful winter spot. I'd recommend this one to anybody.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! :)

Gary "my Christmas viewing will start in earnest tomorrow" O.
I've got both seasons and I've thought many times how nice it would've been to have had an HD transfer!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Vic Pardo said:
Gee, Vic. That's unfortunate. I have that episode on VHS tape, along with several other A&A episodes, and continue to enjoy it to this day. I'm fact, I look forward to viewing this episode again this coming XMAS Eve before going into my TV XMAS DVD's.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I'm not really a fan of seasonal episodes but the ones I liked the most were S1 of Bewitched when Sam and Darrin take in orphan Billy Mumy for the holidays; Eight is Enough when the Bradfords are robbed of their gifts and at the climax Abby finds a gift the late Joan had bought for Tommy forcing the characters to finally acknowledge her death onscreen and grieve. My favorite Xmas episode ever is from Hazel where she gets a part-time job at a department store to afford a gift for Missy.

paul59539

Auditioning
Real Name
sherwin
For me is the episode of The Office, "Christmas Party." Classic Michael Scott, as the Dunder-Mifflin boss grows miffed over his lame Yankee Swap gift and ends up stealing back the iPod he had purchased for the occasion. I also like My So Called Life, So Called Angels where Juliana Hatfield’s sang beautifully.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Unfortunately I had a very busy Thanksgiving Day weekend (including yesterday) so my viewing got pushed back some. I did sneak in a few things, but none are in my Top 25 TV Christmas episodes that I have to get to quickly if I'm to watch them all this year. I may have to pare it back to a Top 20 this time around. Anyhow, here's the few I did manage to see:

1) All four Dobie Gillis Christmas episodes. None of them were anything close to spectacular, but they were all decent. The last one was probably my favorite, but just barely. None of them really stood out. Still, it was nice to have them all clean and uncut.

2) The Scarlet Pimpernel, which was nothing to write home about. I had seen it years ago, but had forgotten just how unmemorable it is (makes sense I'd forget, I guess). A bizarre ending complete with masks being worn that gave me the creeps.

3) Miracle on 34th Street (the original film). This one doesn't technically count because it's not a TV show. But it's one of my absolute favorites. There are no two better Christmas movies in my book than this one and It's a Wonderful Life. Must viewing every year at my house.

Gary "hoping everyone had a nice Thanksgiving" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'd vote for the season one episode from Bewitched with Billy Mumy going to the North Pole. That episode really captivated me as a kid back in 1964.

As far as the movies you mentioned, Gary, while I love IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, I think THE BISHOP'S WIFE tops it as a Christmas movie. IAWL is not all that Christmassy for the majority of its screen time and frankly takes an awfully long time to get to its payoff with Clarence the angel. I think it would be a better movie if Capra had tightened it up a bit.

THE BISHOP'S WIFE may not be as good a movie overall but it sure does put me in the Christmas spirit.

This year, I'm looking forward to THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S. I recall a wonderful scene where the school children put on a Nativity play. They clearly were told to just make up the words as they go along. It is so charming!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Another vote for the S1 episode of Bewitched. A wonderful ep and my favorite Christmas episode of any series. My second favorite is the Alan Alda episode of The Carol Burnett Show. Not only does it have a great holiday Family sketch but Carol and Alan have a great poignant duet as department store workers after the store closes on Christmas Eve.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
No question the first Bewitched episode is very, very good. It's in my Top 20 for sure!

Gary "gotta start watching some of my favorites tonight" O.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
I agree on the Season 1 Bewitched episode.

I really do no like the later seasons of the series but I just bought season 6 and watched "Santa Comes to Visit and Stays and Stays" last night.

Not as good as the season 1 episode but I still enjoyed it.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
"It's A Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" (original) are my favorite Christmas films, by far. Favorite Christmas specials are: "Rudolph," "Charlie Brown," "Frosty," and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." Favorite Christmas episode: The Brady Bunch Season One "Voice of Christmas."

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:
Unfortunately I had a very busy Thanksgiving Day weekend (including yesterday) so my viewing got pushed back some. I did sneak in a few things, but none are in my Top 25 TV Christmas episodes that I have to get to quickly if I'm to watch them all this year. I may have to pare it back to a Top 20 this time around. Anyhow, here's the few I did manage to see:

1) All four Dobie Gillis Christmas episodes. None of them were anything close to spectacular, but they were all decent. The last one was probably my favorite, but just barely. None of them really stood out. Still, it was nice to have them all clean and uncut.

2) The Scarlet Pimpernel, which was nothing to write home about. I had seen it years ago, but had forgotten just how unmemorable it is (makes sense I'd forget, I guess). A bizarre ending complete with masks being worn that gave me the creeps.

3) Miracle on 34th Street (the original film). This one doesn't technically count because it's not a TV show. But it's one of my absolute favorites. There are no two better Christmas movies in my book than this one and It's a Wonderful Life. Must viewing every year at my house.

Gary "hoping everyone had a nice Thanksgiving" O.
#3....right on! I also like the 1973 remake with David Hartman and Sebastian Cabot. I sincerely wish they'd do it on DVD.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Watched a couple more obscure Christmas episodes today, just for the fun of it. "The Orphan's Christmas" from the Long John Silver series and "Santa Claus Wears a Gun" from Annie Oakley. Neither are world-beaters, to be sure. The Oakley episode doesn't ever really revolve around Christmas at all. But the LJS episode does, so it ranks higher for me.

Gary "still haven't gotten serious with my viewing yet" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks