What's new

Favorite Character Actors (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
We were watching A Date with the Falcon last night and I started thinking about all the great character actors that I have enjoyed over the years. In this case it was Allen Jenkins the perennial sidekick. I've always enjoyed his tough guy NY persona. I probably first saw him on tv shows when I was a kid, but as an adult with a taste for 30s-40s mystery series I see him a lot. He was in a ton of films and, I think, always pulled his weight.:popcorn:
allen-jenkins-0.92.jpg

I have many others, but I thought it might be fun to have some of you share some of your favorite character actors with the forum.

Last edited:

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Rags_Ragland_in_Ringside_Maisie_trailer.jpg

Rags Ragland. Was in many of the Red Skeleton films and was wonderful in "Her Highness & The Bellboy"

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
4518_122030896594.jpg
Another of my favorites appeared in the same Date with the Falcon movie. James Gleason. At his best as the other half in the Hildegarde Withers mysteries with Edna May Oliver.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
S. Z. Sakhal, Claude Rains (though we was also a leading man), Paul Henreid, Conrad Veidt. Ok, so I cribbed them from Casablanca. :)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
One of my earliest exposures to character actors was through watching reruns of Bewitched. All these great character actors made multiple guest appearances on that show: Charles Lane, Reta Shaw, Dick Wilson, J. Pat O'Malley, Maudie Prickett, Parley Baer, etc. plus the semi-regulars like Alice Pearce, George Tobias, Bernard Fox, Alice Ghostley, Sandra Gould, Mabel Albertson, etc.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
One of my earliest exposures to character actors was through watching reruns of Bewitched. All these great character actors made multiple guest appearances on that show: Charles Lane, Reta Shaw, Dick Wilson, J. Pat O'Malley, Maudie Prickett, Parley Baer, etc. plus the semi-regulars like Alice Pearce, George Tobias, Bernard Fox, Alice Ghostley, Sandra Gould, Mabel Albertson, etc.

I grew up on that show and many others [I Dream of Jeannie, Brady Bunch, Good Times, All In The Family, The Jeffersons] and loved them all. Those were great shows in a great era. Of course, at that time I didn't know what a "character actor" was. Thanks for reminding me, Ron. You and I may eventually be "Lead Actors" here so we should become acquainted.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
First actor that comes to mind is M. Emmet Walsh. My first exposure to this great performer was his portrayal of a corrupt private investigator in the Coen Bros' Blood Simple. Richard V has already mentioned a lot of individuals who would make my list of favorites.

Since he has not been discussed so far, I thought I'd mention Ian Holm, who never disappoints.

- Walter.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Some of my favorites: Thelma Ritter, Ward Bond, Ben Johnson, Jack Elam, and Eve Arden.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mary Wickes is awesome. :lol: Anytime she appears on screen, you know you're in for a great time.

I've always loved Wallace Shawn, either live or by voice (The Princess Bride, Toy Story, Family Guy, Star Trek: DS9). Another in the same category would be Leslie Jordan. He voiced a dog on an episode of Supernatural a couple seasons ago to hilarious effect, and his appearances as Karen's nemesis, Beverley Leslie, on Will & Grace are always entertaining (also American Horror Story, Sordid Lives, Boston Legal, Boston Public, Hearts Afire).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks