Favorite 1st person dungeon crawls/RPG's

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kevin M, May 16, 2005.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I have always loved this style of RPG and having recently discovered Abandonia I have really gotten the bug again with Eye of the Beholder II and whatnot, so my first question is what are your top 5 favorites, and second are there any new ones being made? Doubtful as the Final Fantasy/ Animi style seems to have overrun the genre.

My top five would be:

5. Eye Of The Beholder II - Considered by many to be the best dungeon crawl ever made (I disagree) it is good even today...and HARD AS HELL!

4. Lands Of Lore: Throne Of Chaos - From Westwood, the folks who made the EOTB series, it was an advancement over the Eye series in many ways including graphics and world size....I just wish it wasn't so buggy on modern PC's, had to break out my old HP to play it...even using the many fixes offered on the web it would freeze up on my new PC.[​IMG]

3. Kings Field 1 (or 2 if you are from Japan) - Loved this game.....LOVED THIS GAME! I still play it even today and oddly enough I don't get tired of it even though the world in it is rather small compared to others in the series and the plot is kind of tired at this point....I still love it from the game play down to the quite good music....love this game.

2. Might & Magic: World of Xeen - Yes merge the files of Clouds of Xeen & Dark Side of Xeen and you get.....World Of Xeen! And a huge world it is, my personal favorite of the M&M series.

1. Wizardry Series - The best.....even the basically ignored 2001 PS2 game Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is a favorite.

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm kind of surprised that you don't have Morrowind on that list. I never played the first 2 ES games, but I really enjoyed morrowind and spent many many many hours on it. If you haven't played it, I'd suggest giving it a shot!

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Ah, see? This is the main reason I started this thread, I have never played any of the Elder Scrolls games aside from the first 1994 game Arena (I've seen Daggerfall but never played). I will definitely give this a look, seems right up my alley, thanks.

But give your five faves...if you have any that is.

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Don't forget Dungeon Master. That game alone was worth buying an Amiga for.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I've been considering buying Gothic II, anybody have an opinion on this title? Looks pretty....

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you like Dungeon Crawlers you might try Betrayal At Krondor (it's freeware now). It's got a lot of above ground exploring and stuff, but plenty of dungeon crawling. And with a story written by Raymond Feist (he made a book version later) it's actually got a good story.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I have Both Betrayal at Krondor & Return to Krondor on CD-ROM from a friend (who then moved) but I can only get Return to work on my PC. Return is pretty good but lost my interest in it about halfway through.....that happens sometimes, same thing with Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny, pretty good game but lost my desire to play it.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Betrayal at Krondor is generally considered the best of the games, with the sequels being horrible in comparison (I played Return to Krondor for a while, kinda iffy game). Betrayal is WAAAAAY better.

Here's a guide to getting Betrayal to run on XP :

http://p211.ezboard.com/fthecommonro...I D=269.topic

More discussion here:

http://p211.ezboard.com/fthecommonro...I D=257.topic

You can apparently get it to run fine through the DOSbox emulator. I am seriously gonna bring my copy in and see if I can get it to work at work!

If you end up getting it to work and like it enough, I can always mail you a copy of the CD-version (or upload it so you can download the CD-image). The CD music on the CD version is wonderful and much better than the original MIDI.

9. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

I'm playing Betrayal at Krondor right now (chapter 5). It works perfectly through Dosbox. I think the only thing you need to do is set the EMS flag to false.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Ultima Underword. Many an hour during the summer of 92 was wasted on that one with my 386sx/16 with 2 megs of RAM , 80 MB HD and Thunderboard. Paid 2000 for it. Still have the 3.5 floppy drive in my current Athlon 64 based system.

10. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don
    World of Xeen. So many happy memories. I loved that when you merged "Clouds" with "Dark Side," not only did it create a largely seamless world, but introduced new areas to explore that didn't exist in the independent releases.

I also loved that after beating "Clouds," my characters were able to whip through the early stages of "Dark Side" with ease. Some may feel that it lessened or cheapened the experience, but I felt like my band of adventurers were demi-gods (until they got killed a lot later in the game).

Too bad they were the only Might and Magic games I truly LOVED. And to think, I only bought "Clouds of Xeen" because I couldn't get Ultima 7 to run on my computer (it wouldn't run on OS/2).

I still have Morrowind on my hard drive, but I never got very far. It's an overwhelming game in terms of scope, breadth, and depth. After about 40 hours of play, I STILL have no idea what the main story is (I'm one of those who likes to do every "FedEx" sidequest asked of my party).

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

You know I have tried several times to get Dos-box to work and I have had no luck at all even with the various tutorials out there, zero luck. I've had much better success with VDMS but even that doesn't work will all old dos games....Betrayal being one of them.

I just got in Might and Magic: For Blood & Honor from E-Bay today for 1 cent....we'll see if it was "worth it".[​IMG]

12. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Wow - there's a trip down memory lane. Chant the mantra, chant the mantra...

13. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

What's disturbing is there are 226 hits in Google for
    "chant the mantra Ultima Underworld"

Legacy of the Ancients for the C-64 was my favorite game back when I was in Middle School and one of the first I ever finished along with Ultima I and Battletech:Crescent Hawks Inception. I remember thinking the graphics were awesome. http://www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php?id=371

14. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

In a discussion about dosbox on a different forum, one of the guys had a good tip:

Maybe it will help with your Dosbox troubles.

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Thanks Dave, I'll try that.

BTW, I tried installing the 1 cent M&M: blood & honor that I "won" on E-Bay but it keeps stalling with various error messages saying there is an error in my temp files and finally stating that one of the files on the disc is corrupted. The disc is badly scratched so I used Disc DR. on it but I still get the same error messages......I guess 1 cent doesn't buy what it used to.[​IMG]

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Wow, thanks a lot Dave, D-Fend worked like a charm! I'm playing Betrayal at Krondor right now.

Gotta love HTF! [​IMG]

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Ok, one problem, I can play Krondor fine using the dos-box/d-fend combo but I can not get the game to work with the cd-rom digital music, I have tried tinkering with various combinations of d-fend's mounting but with no luck. Any advice on how I can get d-fend to use the cd-rom's audio rather than the midi? Or will I need to use the semi-complicated procedure in DaveGTP's first link?

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Hmmm. Dunno Kevin. Haven't messed around with it much myself.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Oh well, there are a few tips on D-Fend's forums regarding this but they mainly pertain to Dos-box and I was never very good at Dos command prompts/code, but the midi is fine and the game is an absolute blast and was really ahead of it's time in many areas.

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well I wanted to resurrect my old thread to tell anyone who likes this kind of game to give Gothic II a shot.

WOW this is a fun and immersive game that allows you to play in either third or first person (though combat always takes place in third person) and features a rather large world to explore. It plays very much like a GTA game though it was released before the more preeminent of those games (Vice City & San Andreas) were released, the game features some rather immersive story elements and an interactivity with NPC game characters that is interesting to say the least (visit the "red light" district and see what I mean), among the less than enjoyable aspects of the game are the rather difficult combat controls that the German game designers purposefully made difficult to force the gamer into earning his cred.....not a bad idea as the control scheme does get easier with use in the later levels of the game, however you can use a different control scheme if you wish (I did) and this is one of the cooler aspect to the game itself....tweakability. The developers even give nice tips on how to tweak the various game characteristics in the game directory files themselves, HERE is a nice "survival guide" over at GameFAQs that offers a pretty good description on many of the more tweakable things you can do with the game, the best fan tweak that I have found is the Enhanced Texture Pack that can be found HERE which updates and vastly improves the 2002 game textures, you will have to unzip the 7zip file in order to use it but it is simple to instal after that, just cut and paste it to the texture folder in the game files and that's it!

Get this game if you liked Morrowind or a similar non-linear RPG game....and as it can be had for $13.00 or less what have you got to loose?
    It is well worth tracking down IMO, a great RPG game.[​IMG]