What's new

"Faux" 6.1? (1 Viewer)

Andy_S

Second Unit
A friend of mine said it's possible to fake 6.1 by hooking up the center-rear in conjunction with the left/right rears. He wasn't sure on how to do it but he said it had something to do with taking both negatives from the left/right rears and feeding them to the center rear (or something like that). Is this true? Can you get 6.1 by using this method? Would it work with EX (isn't EX a matrixed signal where as DTS 6.1 uses it's own channel?) or is this a waste of time?
Thanks for your help,
Andy
------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Let me take a stab at this one.
I don't have the exact reference at my fingertips right now (perhaps someone else reading this thread can point the way) but I seem to recall that there was a way to do this if you have a spare Dolby Pro Logic (or better) receiver or processor sitting around in a closet.
The process, as I recall, involved taking the signals that would normally go to the left and right surrounds (pre-amp out) and sending them through the pro-logic circuitry. The resulting L,C, R output feeds your Left Surround, Center Surround, and Right Surround speakers. According to the reports, the Dolby ProLogic decoder works with a similar matrix as a 6.1 decoder so you can extract information contained in the surrounds to get the center surround channel. Some have claimed you can get some pretty good approximations of 6.1 in this fashion.
I was going to try this out at some point, but I never got around to it. Besides, I'm on the brink of getting a 6.1 decoder when the Outlaw 950 pre/pro debuts so it's not a priority with me right now.
Hope some of this information points you in the right direction. I can't help you with any configuration that simply involves a rewiring of the rear channels without any processing.
Let us know what you find out.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the Sony TAE 9000ES preamp.
The latest SW has a virtual 6.1 mode; it decodes the EX info and sets up a virtual pair of speakers.
Works geat, a few people compared the two, and found very little improvement using real speakers
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
He wasn't sure on how to do it but he said it had something to do with taking both negatives from the left/right rears and feeding them to the center rear (or something like that). Is this true?
No! This will (if it doesn't burn your amps up) extract the matrixed out of phase info that Prologic decodes for the Rear channels, NOT the Front Center channel imaging that you need for the EX processing. Use a Prologic receiver hooked up to PREAMP outputs of your DD/DTS receiver. Then hook all your Surround and EX speakers up to the Front L/R and Center channels with your PL in PL Normal mode.
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks