What's new

Faulty Sony DVD player ? (1 Viewer)

Hello everybody, this is my first post.

I just bought the Sony DVD/VHS combo SLVD550P.

I'm using the good old composite yellow output for my picture, not the Y-R-B outputs.

When i'm plugging the player directly into the composite input of the tv set, no problem, but when i'm connecting it throught my Denon AV receiver, the picture is all wavy, like the one you got when you put a macrovision protected dvd through a vcr.

But the thing is, the problem do not come from the Denon receiver since i can plug any other dvd player i can think of without any problem.

So could it be that this particular Sony model is faulty or could it be possible that this is all about an hardware incompatibility between the Denon and the Sony.

A very important point i forgot to mention, DVDs that i know for sure they are not protected by Macrovision plays fine with the Sony, only commercials movies or other macrovision protected dvds are affected.

Thank you very much for any help. I hope i'm falling into the guidelines of this forum.

André.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Perplexing issue for sure.. Can't use Svideo huh?

That is what I suggest, going to svideo at a minimum, if you display does not have svideo, I am at a loss as to what to suggest to do on it, as it sure sounds like you have experiemented to try to figure it out pretty well.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
could you have progressive scan turned on a non-progressive scan TV? Although I don't think thats your problem I guess its worth mentioning

Hmmm, i have an old 1991 Zenith 3-lens projector that i use as my home theater screen right now. It does have what's identified as Y/C video input but i doubt that these are the right input to test the Y-R-B especially since they are like the other av inputs on this projector, yellow, white and red.

As for the S-video, my projector or other TVs in the house does not support this input unfortunately so i cannot test it.

André

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Then sounds like the device is recognizing the receiver as if it was a VCR? maybe it has to do with it being a combo device

Well, actually, when it's through a vcr it's much worst than this, the picture lost completely it's stability and the picture become black and white and then goes back to normal, but we all know what this macrovision does.

That is not the case here, it's some kind of residues from the macrovision, only some wavy artefacts on the picture.

Grrr. i wish i could test some of the others video outputs.

but maybe you're right about the combo device.

André

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
You mention that the projector has a Y/C input. If I am not mistaken, S-Video is Y/C. Does the input look like an PS2-style keyboard plug but with different number of pins?

Just a thought.

Thanks but as i mentionned, this particular input is exactly like an ordinary composite yellow input (RCA).

Here are the 3 series of inputs that this projector has:

VCR INPUT 1 -> RCA (yellow red and white)
VCR INPUT 2 -> RCA (yellow red and white)
Y/C INPUT -> RCA (yellow red and white)

Very puzzling.....

I manage to test the S-Video output.

Ok, for those of you who are still reading, i finally find a way to test something else than my composite video output.

Since my projector could not accept such a plug, i bought a S-video to RCA wire. I didn't know these things even existed.

Now i can watch the video output of my dvd from S-video and gues what, the macrovision residue is still there. So this is definetely a problem between my Denon amp and this particular dvd player.

Furthermore, i put a vhs tape to see if the problem was the same as for the dvd, and, yes it is.

I will do one more test by hooking the combo directly to the projector and see what happens.

Regards

FINAL RESULTS:

The dvd is now hooked directly into the projector and i'm very happy to say that the problem do not come from my Denon amp.

It seems that the incompatibility problem was with my old projector after all because the macrovision problem is there as well without using the amp.

Well, it was a long road but i finally found where it hurts.

A FINAL QUESTION if i may, knowing that the sony dvd combo player works fine with other video equipment i tested on except my old projector and that it's the only dvd player that cause this problem with the projector, will you go back to the store and buy the same model hoping that it was a factory defect or would you go back to the store buying something else, a jvc for example ?????

Thanks you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks