What's new

faulty center speaker? (1 Viewer)

Shaun P

Auditioning
Hi, I have a centre speaker with one dome tweeter and 2 mid ranges of the same size. For a while now it seems that my centre speaker seems way too soft, even when I adjust the balance to 10db higher than all the other speakers.

The other day I listened closely to my speaker and it seems that the tweeter and the left midrange were loud and the right mid range was barely audible.

Are the two mid ranges meant to produce different sounds or is my right mid range faulty? If so, how do i repair it?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it's pssible to have a 2 1/2 way center, where the 2 bigger drivers do different things, one for bass and one for mids.

It sounds as if your's has a problem, though.

What kind is it?

Repair may include a new crossover, or a driver if necessary.

Just make sure your wiring is solid first, then maybe open it up and see that all the wires inside lok proper. This may void a warranty, though.

Shaun P

Auditioning
Its an old Audioline brand speaker I bought about 4 years ago so the warranty is pretty much over. I opened the speaker housing tested each of the mid ranges individually and they both seem to be working properly.

All wires inside the housing appear to be properly hooked up but how do i test whether all the connections are contacting?

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Shaun P.

Most center channels have like 2 mids and some sort of tweeter. With center channels one of the mids is passive and the other is the main. I have two centers (one used for rear) and they are both this way.

Do a search as there is an imformative thread about this very thing about 1-2 months ago.

Is your center channel speaker the same type and model as your mains?If not this could account for the "softness" as they are not timbre matched to the mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks