What's new

Father Ted on DVD (season 1) (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
How is the region 1 version of this? It was released in August and I thought I might have to add another DVD to my christmas wish list. I heard that region 2 DVDs have an audio commentary but that it's not on the region 1 discs, is this true?
Really becoming a huge fan of this show ever since getting DishNetwork in July and having access to BBC America. It's just gut wrenching hilarious at times, pure genius!
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes the region2 of series 1 has commentary for each episode. I've not seen either, but will probably get the R2 since I'm quite happy to get TV material on my native Region 2.
Understand that the BBC did not produce Father Ted, it was made independantly and screened on Channel 4 here in the UK, with VCI obtaining the home video rights with BBC obtaining worldwide screening rights, this is the only reason I can think of why the commentary is not featured on the R1.
Series 2 hits region2 this winter, or rather the first half does. Series 2 was made up of about 10 episodes, to my annoyance VCI are going with seperate releases, splitting the series to five eps per disc with part two coming in the new year.
Great show though, I love it.
"Ted, doesnt this rabbit look like your man there...uhm, Harvey Keitel!"
"Dougal, I hardly think a rabbit could.....OH MY GOD IT DOES!"
wink.gif

Dan (UK)

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
What about US TV shows? Do you still buy the R2 releases of those? Do they have the same problems with pitch shift as movies, or does the conversion from 30-25fps keep the pitch the same?
Any idea if an NTSC DVD of an NTSC TV show would look better playing through a TV capable of playing back raw NTSC video, than a proffesionally converted PAL DVD, playing back in PAL mode?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sooo, I guess there is no chance of somehow VCI either selling the rights or releasing a copy with the commentary? With my luck, they'll release one early next year after I buy the DVD of the R1 one... Happens all the time to me
furious.gif

I see there are also other VHS stuff of the show: Heaven and Hell (Vol 1) and Nuns! Nuns! Reverse (Vol 2). These are just more 1/2 hour sitcoms right?
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Richard, US TV shows I'd try to buy R1, especially since a lot of US TV shows are actually shot on film at 24fps. That said, I've given in on Dilbert since no R1 exists, and I am likely to do the same when R2 gets Futurama in 2002 whilst the US has to wait for it due to syndication issues. If there is a choice, I would still go R1 (as with X-files, Buffy..etc...etc)
quote: Any idea if an NTSC DVD of an NTSC TV show would look better playing through a TV capable of playing back raw NTSC video, than a proffesionally converted PAL DVD, playing back in PAL mode?[/quote]
NTSC playback as raw NTSC is definately the best way to watch any NTSC output. I wont start the argument of PALs better resolution against NTSCs again as its grown tiresome (and I only agree with it to a certain extent). I feel it's all down to how well a transfer has been mastered. There will not always be a difference, but sure, in some cases you may find the PAL version holds up better. I've found having seen Friends (shot on film) broadcast in the US, the image holds up much better in PAL in the UK, but I'm not a fan of that show so dont own any DVD incarnations of it.
Jay,
It's not worth counting on any R1 re-issue with the commentary. If you can play back R2, go for that relese. We shoot our shows on video here so, depending on the mastering of the NTSC release (and in owning the R1 League of Gentlemen disc I can say the mastering of PAL to NTSC on that was exceptional) the R2 may have a slightly better image quality.
"woarrrghhh!"
"..Dougal, what is it?!"
"I just remembered, Ted, ALIENS is on after the News!"
"Dougal, we're not watching Aliens!"
"But it's the directors cut!"
"No!"
"But Bishops love Aliens!
Dan (UK)
PS: One thign I hate about R2 TV release (and this goes for soem R2 movie releases too) is the cheesy cheao cover artwork. BBC America's TV releases have exceptional sleeve artwork (compare Blackadders, League of Gentlement, Father Ted, Dr Who..etc).
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 10, 2001 at 12:21 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks