What's new

Father Knows Best - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Fan-friendly Brian Ward over on the Shout! board has said that work has begun on "Father Knows Best - Season 6" and it will be a Shout! Factory Select title.

Therefore, I thought I'd start a thread for it. It's wonderful (and a relief) that this series is going to see completion -- and Season 6 had many great and memorable episodes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well done, Joe! Glad we finally got some official notification that work on the last season is under way. I'm guessing we can expect it to be released late in the 1st Quarter of next year.

Gary "I'll be really happy to have this set completed" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am happy to hear that the last season of FKB is now in process. This is another release to look forward to in 2011.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Well done, Joe! Glad we finally got some official notification that work on the last season is under way. I'm guessing we can expect it to be released late in the 1st Quarter of next year.

Gary "I'll be really happy to have this set completed" O.

With Shout Select, you never know how quick the titles will be ready.

I know they're planning on a couple of MST3K Single disc releases in January, so anything after that seems likely.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Good deal. This will wrap up another of my "holy grail" series. I'm extremely pleased this series will see completion.

Gary "I think finishing up FKB might give Shout room to concentrate on another classic - 'Hazel' - at least that's what we've been hearing is up next" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'd actually like to see A Window on Main Street finished first or a re-do of Season 1, if they have found any unedited copies of some of the syndicated episodes.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

I'd actually like to see A Window on Main Street finished first or a re-do of Season 1, if they have found any unedited copies of some of the syndicated episodes.

Please, no re-dos of Season One until all six seasons are out there in some form. As Gary says, this wraps up another "holy grail" series for me as well, and I am surprised and delighted that all six seasons will now be available.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

I agree with Matt. Shout would garner a lot of goodwill (and probably sell a lot more of the various season sets to those who skipped FKB because of this issue) if they went back and corrected the sub-par S1 set. Working with Sony they should be able to gain access to the complete episodes. Simply offer the corrected version as Shout Select title and offer a trade-in for those who already have the existing release.

In any event hopefully the days of Shout offering sub-par quality S1 sets followed up with uncut S2+ sets are behind them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O

I agree with Matt. Shout would garner a lot of goodwill (and probably sell a lot more of the various season sets to those who skipped FKB because of this issue) if they went back and corrected the sub-par S1 set. Working with Sony they should be able to gain access to the complete episodes. Simply offer the corrected version as Shout Select title and offer a trade-in for those who already have the existing release.
In any event hopefully the days of Shout offering sub-par quality S1 sets followed up with uncut S2+ sets are behind them.

AMEN to that point about a re-do on Season 1 as a Shout Select with some trade-in deal for those that bought the original release. That is a great idea and I do wish Shout would consider it. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm not holding my breath. But I'd surely love to have all the S1 episodes uncut and looking nicer than some of them look on the original release.

Gary "and I too would hope we've seen the last of any S1 screwups from Shout" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

AMEN to that point about a re-do on Season 1 as a Shout Select with some trade-in deal for those that bought the original release. That is a great idea and I do wish Shout would consider it. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm not holding my breath. But I'd surely love to have all the S1 episodes uncut and looking nicer than some of them look on the original release.

Gary "and I too would hope we've seen the last of any S1 screwups from Shout" O.

Well, I certainly don't harbor ill will toward Shout! over S1 of FKB and I honestly can't say why it happened, but I would like to see it corrected someday. The episode where Bud moved into his own place had me cringing, the cuts were so bad.

As for future screwups, I daresay now that Shout! is setting the pace for vintage TV on DVD, they will move heaven and earth to make sure it doesn't happen unless they have no choice and if it does, they will be upfront about it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It was just a portion of season 1 that was screwed up, right? I've forgotten all the details at this point.

I've thought Shout should release something like a 2 disc "Best Of" release of Mister Ed to get the full versions of these 8 or so episodes out. Seems like something similar could work with these season 1 episodes, assuming it isn't the entire set.

Then the fans could get the full versions and be pleased, the publisher doesn't have to acknowledge publically their screwups, Shout makes money yet the fans don't have to pay for an entire season set, and they have a small budget priced set they can bring to retail like Shout and other publishers do from time to time to spur interest in their season sets and capture sales from people with just a passing interest on a certain show that may not want to go in for full season sets.

Too bad it's just wishful thinking. :)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

It was just a portion of season 1 that was screwed up, right? I've forgotten all the details at this point.

I've thought Shout should release something like a 2 disc "Best Of" release of Mister Ed to get the full versions of these 8 or so episodes out. Seems like something similar could work with these season 1 episodes, assuming it isn't the entire set.

Then the fans could get the full versions and be pleased, the publisher doesn't have to acknowledge publically their screwups, Shout makes money yet the fans don't have to pay for an entire season set, and they have a small budget priced set they can bring to retail like Shout and other publishers do from time to time to spur interest in their season sets and capture sales from people with just a passing interest on a certain show that may not want to go in for full season sets.

Too bad it's just wishful thinking. :)

That's actually crazy enough to work, the only problem is I dunno how may episodes from S1 were syndicated cuts, plus I think there was an issue with the opening titles as well. Someone with more knowledge on the show want to help us out?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
There's a great FATHER KNOWS BEST website that will answer all the questions: www.fatherknowsbest.com.

There's a link to "DVD Info." They list out exactly which Season 1 episodes utilized syndicated prints. The short answer is that, unfortunately, there were 15 of the 26 episodes that used the cut prints.

There were a couple of problems with Season 5. The episode "The Promised Playhouse" was a flashback episode. A cut print was used for Season 5 (22:43), even though the full print was used for the original Season 1 showing (25:19), so that's a real blunder. Also, the flashback episode "Margaret Goes Dancing" used the original print from Season 1, instead of the Season 5 print which would have included new introductory material.

The openings are a real mess. Most of them use the syndicated openings, but occasionally an original opening shows up.

The website shows what each season's original opening was. It would have been great if the DVDs had always used the correct openings, but they didn't.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

There's a great FATHER KNOWS BEST website that will answer all the questions: www.fatherknowsbest.com.

There's a link to "DVD Info." They list out exactly which Season 1 episodes utilized syndicated prints. The short answer is that, unfortunately, there were 15 of the 26 episodes that used the cut prints.

There were a couple of problems with Season 5. The episode "The Promised Playhouse" was a flashback episode. A cut print was used for Season 5 (22:43), even though the full print was used for the original Season 1 showing (25:19), so that's a real blunder. Also, the flashback episode "Margaret Goes Dancing" used the original print from Season 1, instead of the Season 5 print which would have included new introductory material.

The openings are a real mess. Most of them use the syndicated openings, but occasionally an original opening shows up.

The website shows what each season's original opening was. It would have been great if the DVDs had always used the correct openings, but they didn't.

Great link, thanks very much. Was aware there were problems with season 1, but sad to see they cropped up again in later releases. What frustrates me is, if this is the best Shout! can do, I can accept that. But I know that a lot of purists will call for Shout's! blood over the errors.

I know, I'll sing a different tune when it happens to a show I love, but I want to at least try and be understanding.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Season 6 is now up for sale on the Shout site. Unfortunately, it looks like it doesn't include the reunion movies. Bonus features are listed as 2 episodes from "Window On Main Street".

Don't know what this means for the reunion movies. Maybe they will be available separately at a later date. Maybe they couldn't include them for legal reasons. Either way, the cover-art is beautiful and I can't wait to own the final season.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Great news! Thanks for sharing the update, Robert. This will complete another "holy grail" show for me and I couldn't be happier. FKB has really worn well over the years and it's a show my entire family loves.

Gary "kudos again to Shout for finishing this series" O.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My order has been placed. Great stuff. What would be great as a follow up would be the reunion shows, and a re-release of the first season with corrected, uncut episodes!

-Rodney

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have yet to order from the Shout select shows . I will have to bite the bullet soon because i want to get Mr Ed Season 4 . I also want to get the rest of the Father Knows best and Ironside .

Anyone know of any online coupons for the Shout select dvds ? I've looked with no success .

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I just discovered this show on the Antenna TV channel. Funny thing is, I have the Father Knows Best radio shows and for some reason they really didn't do anything for me so when the show came out on dvd, I had no interest in it. After having watched this show on Antenna TV, I can't believe what I have been missing! This show rivals The Donna Reed Show as my all time favorite show. I've already started renting them from netflix and I'm sure I'll buy them in the near future. Glad to hear the whole series is available!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks