What's new

FATHER KNOWS BEST, Season 3 - Coming in June (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Anybody else get this set yet?

Gary "this series has to continue on dvd - it would be a huge travesty" O.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

I second The Big Valley. I'm not a big western fan but I do like the stories on The Big Valley. I particularly like how the episodes focus on a different character (Heath, Audra, Victoria, etc.) each week. I'm not sure about the first season, but some of the later episodes can be a little sensational (lots of psychopaths or people seeking revenge against the Barkleys), but I love it!

Another favorite family western is Little House on the Prairie. The stories from the first season are mostly touching and makes my eyes well up. I also like the diversity. Some episodes are serious, some are humorous, some emotional. Also, about every fourth episode they focus on a different resident/neighbor of Walnut Grove.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Good for you, Brad. I know you'll love it. It's far and away my favorite series that Shout is currently releasing. And I believe it's still the only representative of the 50's they have going right now. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will see Season 4 near the end of the year.

Some of the suggestions here about the westerns for Matt demonstrate why I had such a tough time deciding on one series. I see westerns in two distinct categories: Classical Westerns and Family Westerns. When I think of Classical Westerns I think of RAWHIDE, GUNSMOKE, HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL, and the like. Then when I think of Family Westerns my mind goes to BIG VALLEY, BONANZA, WAGON TRAIN, and the like. And LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE, which I do love, is even more of a family drama set in the old west. So when Matt asked the question initially I was conflicted about exactly what he wanted: A real, honest to goodness western - or - a family style western. I love both myself, and that's why I picked the two I did. I think they are great representations of each category. Just my two cents.

Gary "all the shows mentioned thus far are wonderful in their own right" O.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Me too, unless I find it locally before then. I keep hoping that Sam's might get it or Peyton Place on the racks soon.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Well, I sure tried. Sam's Club had carried Seasons 1 and 2, so I went there Tuesday to get Season 3 -- and it was nowhere to be found.

I think as we're moving into the second decade of the 21st Century the traditional retail stores won't be carrying releases of older movies and TV shows any more (after all, this season is over half a century old -- it would be like in 1957 buying something from 1905 -- it must seem incredibly ancient to young people.)

Anyway, I won't even bother with the stores any more; I'll order stuff like this off the Internet, like you guys had the good sense to do in the first place.

Joe "I agree that if Shout! doesn't release all six seasons of this series it will be a terrible shame and a severe disappointment to me, seeing as how this is probably my second-favorite TV series of all time" L.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

I guess I never really thought westerns fitting in two basic categories, but you are right they do. I am currently watching FATHER MURPHEY with my six year old daughter (picked up during a sale for $6 a season). It is actually a very good show, it has the family value's aspect like LHOTP but not as much hardship or as emotionally driven.

To go along with the one's you already mentioned, I'm also impressed with WYATT EARP. I just finished the first season and had to buy the Rhino best of addition to get to the conclusion. Unfortunately, I can't wait 5+ years for them to release all the seasons individually (even though I will still buy them if they come out to fill in the gaps).

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'd like to know which episode this is too.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

I figured it out, it is the episode "Mr. Beal Meets His Match" from season 4. It is based on the Faust legend where Betty is writing a story that includes all members of the family. Kind of a making a deal with the devil concept. That one episode in particular has stuck with me the most from the some 35+ years since I probably last saw it.

It was a little tricky finding out since I didn't want to read any of the episode story lines since it would probably jog my memory and take away from when I rewatch all the episodes again after all these many years. I just searched the storylines for the word "story" until I found it.

Now I guess I have to really hope season 4 comes out.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the episode title! I would love to see that episode. I really hope Shout moves fast and releases Season 4 before year's end. It would make a great Christmas release if they include the bonus holiday episode of "Window On Main Street". I hope sales for Season 3 sky-rocket.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Well for me, my exposure to Westerns is mostly movies like Unforgiven and Searchers. I have watched Little House and have memories of Bonanza, plus Gene Autry, so I've tried a little bit of everything. Now, I asked the fiance if she would prefer an hour or half hour and she chose the latter. So, with that in mind, I'm looking for something that would work as a bridge from what we're used to to the more "classical" Western, like Gunsmoke.

Right now, Gunsmoke is on the short list with Bonanza and Big Valley also being considered. With more advice, the list could grow.

Oh and for the record, FKB is being considered deeply, especially with sales right around the corner.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Gunsmoke is a very good western. I hadn't watched it prior to getting the first season and at first it didn't pull me in. James Arness didn't command my attention. However, I did enjoy Chester and then the building comraderie between Dillon, Chester, the Doc, and Kitty won me over. By half way through the first season I was hooked.

Unfortunately, the others I would recommend are all an hour long or more. Wagon Train was another I've enjoyed that knew nothing about prior. Another lessor known is Laredo, which can have some good relaxed humor that is enjoyable.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Matt, I'm a little late to the party here with recommendations, but since no one else has mentioned it, I have to offer what I feel is one of the most female friendly westerns of all time, ALIAS SMITH AND JONES.

Although only the first season has been released, I can promise you that this lighthearted western has a very large and loyal following among women. There are whole websites devoted to the series, all started and maintained by women; a companion book to the series was published a couple of years ago, written by two women; and last, but not least, my girlfriend totally loved the entire series when it was shown on the Encore Westerns Channel in recent years and she too can be averse to the western genre.

As for the show itself, it was obviously influenced by BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, stars two male actors who exhibit maximum eye candy for the ladies, and has a very likable and easy tone to it, while still being a good solid western. It was created by Roy Huggins and is definitely in the vein of his earlier series MAVERICK. Although the series met with tragedy in the middle of its second season, the suicide of co-star of Pete Duel, it was recast and managed to retain much of its original charm throughout the rest of its run.

I promise you that this is one western that I believe your fiance will like.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Another great western series, Walker. Thanks for mentioning it. There were so many. I also really should have mentioned HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL. It's right up there in my Top 5, maybe Top 3 of all time. Oh, and it's only a half hour show too, Matt. I'm just not sure I can honestly say it'd be all that appealing to women, so I didn't recommend it. But it is a great, great series!

Gary "hope all these recommendations aren't making your head swim" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

My head is not swimming as I am taking notes and evaluating every opinion. The only embarassing moment these days is I think if you listen closely, you can hear my wallet's plaintive cries for help.

That's the really hard part is picking just one, especially when you have "new" releases coming with fair regularity plus other stuff you want to try. It's hard being a fan of classic TV but it's nice knowing your fiance has total trust in you to at least try something once. Time Tunnel cemented my reputation as picking something up blind, but it ended up being pretty successful.

I'm thinking still though and I'll let you all know. Keep the opinions coming, but also if you think of anything to avoid, let me know that too!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Matt,

I was at WalMart today and they have a two pack of BIG VALLEY season 1 and volume 1 of season 2 (all there is on DVD) for $20.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Joe, I guarantee you won't regret 'net DVD purchasing. The convenience far outweighs an occasional "mail/return for exchange" issue with defective DVD's. You never have to shop around for the older show's TV/DVD sets.

No relation to Amazon, but it's one of the best stores on the 'net, imo. Their return/exchange setup is the best I've used so far and I've never had an issue with returning a TV/DVD set for exchange after the normal 30-day window has expired. I think I returned a set last year about 4 months after the purchase date with no problems.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I've watched the entire first disc (7 episodes) with the family, and as always we are pleased as can be. I never cease to be amazed at how this particular sitcom can tug at my heartstrings. The backscore is beautiful and puts me in a very sentimental mood every single time. This is truly one of the all-time classic television shows.

Gary "I hope others are enjoying these episodes as much as my family and I are" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
does anyone know if the set has any of the sponsor openings? I for one would love to see something besides the season 1 opening tacked on to every episode. Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks