What's new

FATHER KNOWS BEST, Season 3 - Coming in June (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

So much for offering Gary a free copy of Father Knows Best Season 3 for being such a good sport.

Don't anyone tell him.

danielmartin

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I'm pretty sure anyone who didn't mix up Heather Locklear and Heather Thomas in the '80s was automatically disqualified from such a giveaway.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I was in high school in the early 80's and while my personal preference has always been for 50's & 60's TV, I did watch Fall Guy and T.J. Hooker.

Fall Guy = Lee Majors (Big Valley, Six Million Dollar Man)
T.J. Hooker = William Shatner (Star Trek)

So yeah, I knew both Heathers and never confused them because I watched both shows for at least a year or so when they started. Not hard to figure out.

Getting back to FATHER KNOWS BEST, this upcoming set will mark the second time we get a nice Christmas episode from the series. "The Angel's Sweater" was not as good as the "Christmas Story" from Season One, but it's still a nice outing for the series and definitely has a wonderful Christmasy feel to it. This season set promises to be one of my favorites!

Gary "keep 'em coming, Shout - we're halfway home" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Heather Thomas did appear on TJ Hooker. And Heather Locklear also appeared on Fall Guy. The Heathers crossed over.

The Father Knows Best season sets on Shout! shouldn't be getting yanked. I doubt Robert Young's estate will allow a poll to ruin the chance of getting more of their dad's work out. They're tossing more Windows on Main Street episodes into the set along with the radio versions. They're truly working with Shout! to make these sets attractive to fans. They finally finished up That Girl - which was owned by Marlo Thomas. There were people who panicked after it went from a nearly 6 month cycle to a year long difference - along with the dreaded first DVD that almost seemed like they'd given up on putting out new product.

it is interesting to see someone in the Peyton Place thread asking folks to vote for the show. maybe some of those people answered his call for action.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
No, how could you hate on PP? You were too busy hating on Mr. Belvedere and its "teenybopper" fans.

Scott "Apparently, I'm a 27-year-old teenybopper" J.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Come on guys, don't take this stuff so seriously. It's not like I'm invading a Mr. Belvedere thread and throwing bombs. This is a FATHER KNOWS BEST thread and I'd think people would understand fans of that series being distraught at online polling that clearly tilts toward newer series and younger fans strictly on the basis of who will and will not be likely to "surf the 'Net" and vote in such polls.

Gary "remember, I was asked by another person in this thread to state my honest opinion - I'd hope we aren't so 'PC' that we can't take some honest disagreements without getting our feelings hurt" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Ha! Not liking a show is one thing, attacking its fans is beyond the pale.

Furthermore, I would have been more likely to buy FKB had Season 1 not been handled in such a slipshod fashion. I admire Shout! for doing better on the next ones. And I doubt this show is in the same situation as something like The Mary Tyler Moore Show which is constantly on life support, and Fox apparently can't please any of its fans.

Matthew "I'd agree with you if California Dreams was ahead in the polls" A

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. If you think me calling a generic fan base (as opposed to a particular person or poster here) "teenyboppers" is the worst thing you've ever read here then you've obviously not read many threads in spite of being here a decade. Give me a break, Matthew. I've seen some of your own responses to actual posters, not generic fan bases, before. So I know better. Forgive me but... Pot, let me introduce you to kettle. :rolleyes

I'd love to know what I said that qualifies as "attacking" fans. Again, if my description of certain fans in general as teenyboppers is attacking them then so be it. But remember, I wasn't referencing a particular poster here, nor was I thinking about anyone on this board when I said that. It was a generalized comment, not meant to be taken so personally by anyone in particular. I was having a discussion with a couple of fellow b/w TV series lovers. We all were of the same mindset and were not looking to have anyone else invade this thread to cry "foul." I'll say it again: Some of you need to not take things so seriously. You guys are making far more out of this stuff than is necessary.

Gary "can't wait to start watching Season 3 in less than 2 weeks" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thank you, Joe! Finally some sanity restored. I knew I wasn't alone.

Gary "never knew the term 'teenyboppers' was considered some great offensive word before tonight - go figure" O. LOL

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
In an attempt to "right the ship here," so to speak, since SHOUT! is forging ahead with season 3, is it safe to assume that the first two seasons sold pretty well? I'd be curious to know what kind of numbers they did.

Gary "I have the first two seasons and will buy however many more SHOUT! Factory produces" C.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks Gary. We need the ship righted from time to time. My understanding is that Season 1 did OK, and that Season 2 did less and it was actually a bit of a coin toss on whether or not we'd get this upcoming Season 3. I know I was sweating it until we got confirmation because I had been told by insiders that a Season 3 was definitely up in the air.

All of that leads me to believe we are far from guaranteed a Season 4 this Fall/Winter. And I want that one badly. Not only will it bring the fourth Season episodes from FKB, but if all holds true it would also bring the Christmas-themed episode from "Window on Main Street". And that's a very, very rare series and episode. Doubt we get that in any other way other than these FKB sets, so I'm really anxious to see Season 3 do well so that Shout gives the green light for Season 4.

Gary "wish we could get actual numbers when it comes to dvd sales, but as everyone knows - the studios keep that info very close to the vest" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Oh my gosh! My old buddy GaryOS has suddenly started channelling his evil side, and is now mercilously throwing around invectives like "teenybopper!" I just can't believe this ignoble descent. Thank goodness the contingent of flabby-butler fans took leave of their ballot-stuffing endeavors to bring to our attention Gary's maniacal missives! You have to keep an eye out on these FKB fans. I should know, because I'm one myself, and along with my anticipation for the 3rd-season dvd-set, I'm getting a burgeoning desire to badmouth those competing Shout releases myself. Like those pencil-pushing college geeks that are craving more "Paper Chase" sets. Horrible, horrible people!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
People, please... can't we all put aside our differences... FKB fans, pencil-pushing college geek Paper Chase fans, and Mr. Belvedere teenyboppers, and aim our attack at those who truly deserve it...

the steroid injecting, small brained American Gladiator buying audience?!?

;) :laugh:

Anyway, about FKB... I'm glad to see the radio shows are being added. When season 2 came around, the inclusion of some radio episodes was the only other thing I could think of to make these sets perfect... and now it's happened.

Now, how many Window on Main Street episodes were there, and is there any chance they could all be added to FKB as extras?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have to admit, it's been quite a thrill to see "Window On Main Street" again. For whatever reason, it is a series I have a strong recollection of watching as a boy with my family when it first aired. But in all honesty, besides recalling that it was anthology based and starred Robert Young, I didn't remember much about it. I hope the Young estate sees their way clear to somehow release the entire series, since we're only talking about 13 episodes, right?

Speaking of Robert Young, I wonder if Marcus Welby, M.D. will ever make it into the DVD pipeline as an official release. Doesn't Universal own this property? I think if nothing else, it should be pretty easy for it to make its way onto HULU.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I just wanted to say, although I think I've already said it -- but it's worth saying again -- that you can download old radio shows by the thousands from www.archive.org. They're either all in public domain or no one's interested in protecting their rights anymore (there's really no market for them, anyway.)

It looks like there are a hundred or more episodes of the radio FKB on archive.org.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I never saw "Window" in it's original run (unless I was a toddler sitting w/Mom and Dad), so these episodes on the FKB sets have been wonderful. I really am anxious to see the Christmas episode, and I'm sure it would be included in the next set. In fact Brian Ward told me as much earlier this year when I asked about the inclusion of that episode for the upcoming set. He said they'd hold that one for a 4th Season set since it's release would fall closer to the holidays. I believe they could and would try to squeeze all the "Window" episodes in on the 6 sets if they can just get that far. Seems like that is the plan.

I'd certainly love to see Marcus Welby as well, but if Universal does still own the rights I don't think it's very likely unless it's farmed out.

Gary "take care, everyone" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Regarding the radio shows, I recently finished my two volume set from Old Time Radio--and in the fourth season, they had begun to re-stage episodes done in the first two seasons that had June Whitley as Margaret, but this time with Jean Vanderpyl (who was the THIRD Margaret). Several episodes along the way were also redone for the TV show--such as The Thanksgiving Story (twice on radio), The Christmas Story, and Bud the Snob.

IIRC, there were 26 episodes of Window on Main Street, so they would have to pick up the pace on future FKB releases if they intend to include them all. I really don't see them doing that--not saying it's not possible, though.

Robert Young had to compete with himself when Window was on, since CBS was still airing FKB reruns in primetime! (Something very unlikely in today's network TV world).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Depends on which source you want to believe. CTVA shows 36, IMDB at least 26 episodes, but TV.com and Wiki only list 13. I'm pretty sure only 13 aired originally, but I obviously wasn't around then (born in '65) so I can't say for sure. Just going by the data available online. But if 13 is the correct number then it is possible we could see them all via the FKB Shout sets.

Gary "it's a nice little show and it's a shame it didn't do better and go longer" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
For "Window on Main Street:" I have the original TV Guides from that season, and new episodes were still on in May, so I'd say 36 is the right number.

In those days, the great majority of shows had 39 episodes a season, or close to it (some weeks were pre-emptions). "Leave It to Beaver," for instance, had 39 episodes for each of its six seasons.

This is just one of the hundreds of reasons why television was better in "the old days."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks