What's new

FATHER KNOWS BEST, Season 3 - Coming in June (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yeah, I'm 44 this past March. I was born smack dab in the middle what I'd call the worst decade of the 20th Century - the '60's - if we are going purely on a cultural & moral downturn for the U.S. Glad I was too young to get into all the "hippy" garbage that pervaded that time. I'm much more comfortable with the wholesomeness of TV in the 50's and early to mid 60's. I've always been attracted to the b/w era of both film and television.

Congrats on your upcoming 60th! Nothing at all to regret, because you got to experience a great decade in Americana.

Gary "Joe, I do regret not getting a chance to enjoy the 50's - but I had little say in the matter" O. ;)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

You are a wise and sage person beyond your years. Agree with the above 100%. It wasn't just television that "jumped the shark" in the mid-60s but perhaps the world itself. I too wish I had gotten to experience life in the 50s. I certainly would have liked it a lot more than the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. You can watch that wonderful era on the screen, thanks to vintage TV but it's not the same as having lived it.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Aw, Gary, you had awful timing. It's funny, but years ago, for various reasons, I picked March of 1965 as the end of the "good old days" and April of 1965 as the beginning of the "new bad days," so to speak. And there you were, just entering the world.

Even all these decades later, I can't believe the 1960s did what they did. It seemed everything I liked went away, and everything I didn't like thrived.

I think the 1910s were a similar time. World War I ended an old way of life, and brought in a new, which I'm sure many oldtimers hated.

Hey, that's every 50 years then, which means maybe the next decade will bring revolutionary changes.

Probably for the worse. :frowning:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I agree with your last sentence 100%, Joe. No doubt about that.

Interesting that you actually saw March '65 as the last month of the old guard. Guess I slid in right under the tag, so to speak.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will see a return to the values and morals that made the earlier part of the 20th Century something so wonderful. But at least we have some nice TV on DVD to remind us of the good ole' days.

Gary "sigh... I can only hope Shout will continue to release this classic TV show so that I have something decent to watch this coming fall and winter" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Here's another reason I'm suspicious of these online polls. No offense to Peyton Place fans with what I'm about to say (I promise), but I find what I'm about to share just too strange. In the course of about 4 hours FKB gained 2 votes but Peyton Place jumped almost 30 votes! That just seems very strange to me. Again, no offense to fans of that show, but it's hard for me to imagine that 30 people just happened to log on in the course of 4 hours, on a Sunday afternoon, all voting for that show. Sorry, but that's just not very plausible. I also believe Paper Chase has jumped up an exorbitant amount in a short period of time.

Gary "and forget the goofy way Mr. Belvedere is the runaway favorite - that's just ludicrous" O.

P.S. I don't desire fans of Peyton Place or any of the other classic shows to take what I'm saying the wrong way. I hope Shout can continue to release everything we all want. I really do. But I do think online polls can be manipulated and I found a couple of jumps (PP & PC) to be a little unbelievable. That's all I'm saying.

P.S.S. PP has now jumped another 17 votes, in just over 2 more hours since my original post. Someone has certainly taken it upon themselves to make sure that show jumps up in the ratings. That just can't be the result of 45+ random fans happening upon the poll in the course of 6 hours on a holiday Sunday afternoon/evening.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

As best I can tell, no we can't Joe. But someone has certainly found a way to get multiple votes out. It might be as simple as signing up at some of the free "email" sites (hotmail; yahoo; etc.) and creating a bunch of new accounts with the sole purpose of using each of those and voting once per new email account. Accounts they'll never use again. Something like that is obviously going on with some of these shows seeing H-U-G-E spikes in their ratings in a matter of a few hours on a holiday weekend. Definitely some type of shenanigans to say the least. For Peyton Place to fly up the ladder like it has today (gaining 50+ spots in just over 8 hours) tells me someone is manipulating something somewhere. I've seen that same type of spike today from Paper Chase, although I hadn't been keeping as close an eye on the actual numbers. The only reason I knew the specifics for Peyton Place at the start of this afternoon was because it was nearly identical to Father Knows Best. Actually, FKB had about a 5 vote lead on PP at about 3:00 PM (est). Since then the polling has been dubious, to say the least.

Gary "oh well, I'll just let my show stand on it's own without resorting to that type of deception simply to manufacture inflated numbers" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

You really need to call the FBI at this point. There must be major wire crime laws being broken by the Peyton Place fanatic.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Nope, just calling it like I see it. But don't worry, your sarcasm wasn't missed. Of course, it wasn't appreciated either, but I've come to expect such things from certain posters.

Gary ":rolleyes" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Have you been emailing B Ward at Shout! demanding he investigate this ballot stuffing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

No, Corey, I haven't. Geesh... I'm simply pointing out why I've always been leary of online voting. It's too easy to manipulate counts. And whether you or any other fan of PP would want to admit it, the truth is the polls were manipulated in one way or the other today. But that's fine with me. If the people at Shout are so dense as to use an online poll to determine what they will or will not release then the battle was over before it ever began.

Just chill out, friend. It's not that big a deal. No need to get so smart alecky with me. Had I gone to the PP thread and said these things you might have a point. But not here at the Father Knows Best thread. I'm surely within my rights to explain, with facts (mind you), why I detest online polling. Again, just chill out.

Gary "go to bed and get a good night's sleep - it will do wonders for you" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

You're the one keeping tabs of those Peyton Place points. You're going nuts about the voting irregularities. And rightfully so.

I find it funny that you're going to post here about them without copying B. Ward over at Shout! about your findings. Let him know that his poll is being rigged by evil fans of Peyton Place.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess that most online polls similar to the Shout site can easily be compromised by savvy Net users. I ain't one of them that would spend time to stuff ballot counts but I imagine that there are those that would. I remember a similar online poll years ago pertaining to domestic release requests for the two 70's bionic shows. I know that there was a lot of voting irregularities in that one.

Hopefully everyone's Shout favorites on the Bd will see additional releases soon.

Jeff "Gary, I finally watched that movie on my DTV hard drive...007" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks for sharing that Jeff. I don't think it will come as a shock to anyone that online polling, no matter how it's set up, can be manipulated in one way or the other. It may not be out and out spam (and I don't think that's what's going on here). It may just be people finding friends to help them stuff the ballot box, as you say. I'm not into that myself, but I know it goes on.

Hope you enjoyed the film. You'll have to let me know what you think next time we talk.

Gary "again let me say that I have nothing against PP fans - I just happened to notice that vote spike yesterday - I hope PP fans get all the episodes of that show released" O.

P.S. I do have to comment one more time on the poll, then I'll let it go (promise). When I went to bed last night Paper Chase had a little over 400 votes. And that was a pretty big spike in and of itself from what I remember it being at on Saturday night (somewhere in the 150 neighborhood, maybe). I can't remember the exact number it was at yesterday but it was definitely only a little over 400. This morning it has 750! That's not a coincidence, no matter how you slice it. Someone has been a busy beaver overnight with that one. LOL, I really do hope Shout realizes these polls are nonsense.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

You were seriously hating on the Peyton Place when you wrote: "For Peyton Place to fly up the ladder like it has today (gaining 50+ spots in just over 8 hours) tells me someone is manipulating something somewhere." You're demanding an investigation. You can't believe that over the course of 8 hours that 6 people on the face of the Earth can visit that site and click it.

And what do you mean that you were checking on Emergency? Emergency is not and has never been a Shout! released title. It's not on the poll.

Don't worry about emailing Brian Ward since he's been alerted him to your findings.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Obviously I meant Adam-12. I'll correct that next. I've always transposed those two shows in my mind for some reason. BTW, you need to seriously chill out. Of course then there's always the "ignore function". I may be adding a name to the list soon.

And how are you getting 6 people=50 votes?!!! Maybe you know something I don't about this. I think perhaps thou protesteth too much.

Gary "I was not hating on PP - I just saw an obvious manipulation of the polls, but I admit it's nothing as egregious as what's been happening with Paper Chase" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

How can you confuse Emergency with Adam-12? One has cops and the others have doctors and firemen. This isn't like a Heather Thomas-Heather Locklear thing.

You're protesting this whole vote situation more than me. You're the one claiming it's all being rigged.

6 people per hour over an 8 hour period of time comes out to about 50 people in a world with billions of people online. It's not that outrageous. Especially if there's info about this poll sent to the Peyton Place Twitter community.

Now you can't believe the number of folks that like the Paper Chase? Maybe it's folks going off to the laws school that want to see more? And if someone is stuffing the ballot box, why would they stop 10 votes short of Mr. Belvedere? If you're going to cheat - at least take the lead.

Of the choices on the board, The Paper Chase does seem to be most likely of getting finished up since they only have 2 boxsets left to release since seasons 3&4 were short.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Absolutely, positively not! That's a definite poll manipulation by one or a few rabid fans. No doubt about it.

OK, Corey, enough already. I'm dropping this. If you want to go on then be my guest. I've made my point and it looks like others agree based on the posts at the Shout polling site. Agree or disagree with my conclusions. I don't really care.

Gary "and since I'm considering buying PP at the next Deep Discount sale, I don't see how I could be hating on the show" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The ignore function is a beautiful tool here at HTF. I don't utilize it often, but when it's needed I'm glad I have it!

Gary "only two more weeks till Season 3!!!" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks