What's new

FATHER KNOWS BEST, Season 3 - Coming in June (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I must live in a different Universe. I think the radio series had an entirely different feel to it. The performers playing Betty and Bud are vastly inferior to Donahue and Gray, and Kathy is obviously being played by an adult woman trying to sound like a little girl.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

Well I guess we do:D All I know is that I am enjoying these radio shows. Do they replace what I love about the TV show? No. And I agree that Elinor and Billy were top notch and superior to the radio counterparts. These are nice entertaining shows on their own merits. But Kathy the character is consistent--annoying and bratty and full of "geeeee whiz":laugh:

And one word from Bud, the radio persona, "HOLY COW!" ;)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I need to buy these radio shows - I own plenty of other old time radio, so why not add this one to the list.

Gary "hope we get some word about extras soon" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
It's been many years since I've heard episodes of "Father Knows Best" but wasn't Robert Young's Father as Dumb as Dirt on the radio show, making the title something of a little joke? And the kids were really annoying, as I recall. The TV show is an entirely different concept and far superior.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
No, Rob, I wouldn't say Robert's character on the radio was dumb as dirt, he wasn't one of those bumbling, "gee, can't Dad do anything right?" so typical of early 50s TV sitcoms (and perhaps those of radio ones too). He yelled a lot more and was far more sarcastic to Margaret and the kids on the radio show. Yes, The TV version is superior, but it is nice to see, uh,er, hear where the TV versions roots began.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Most classic radio shows seem to either be in public domain now, or at least so old and worth so little commercially that no one cares about protecting their copyrights any more.

Therefore, they're available to listen to or download on The Internet Archive.

You can find a bunch of "Father Knows Best"s here:

Internet Archive: Details: Father Knows Best Radio Shows

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm anxious to see what "extras" will be on this set. I wish Brian Ward and the folks at Shout! would have used my suggestion about including the Christmas-themed episode from WINDOW ON MAIN STREET with this set. He said they'd probably want to wait for the next set because it would be released closer to the Holidays, but that assumes we'll even get a 4th Season set (something I'm sure they won't decide until they see the numbers for the 3rd Season). I really, really want that episode in my Christmas collection and there's no other way I know of to see it happen other than for it to appear on one of these FKB sets.

The positive development is that according to Amazon's listing for this set there will be two episodes of WINDOW included this time around. So that increases my chances for the Christmas episode. Keeping fingers crossed.

Gary "hope we hear something soon" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

"The Grinch that stole Christmas" strikes. No S4 sets.....#'s too low....

kidding, Gary :laugh: I owed you that one from that "Mannix" gig you gave me....remember? :D

Hope you get that S4 set with the episode in there.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
FKB was a favorite watching reruns as a kid so as I continue adding old TV classics to my collection this one is now on my list. I hesitated a bit previously for two reasons, lack of a good discounted price (same as Dick Van Dyke show) in comparison to other TV shows and questionable reviews for season 1 based on edited episodes.

So I am trying to figure out whether I should start from season 2 going forward, or for completeness get season 1 even though they are edited episodes. For those that bought season 1, any wished they skipped it or is the feeling that FKB in any form is better then no FKB.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! And I am definitely on board for all seasons and reunion movies. Hopefully, they will release them all. I'm eager for Season 3.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Brad, I would wholeheartedly recommend picking up Season 1. The edits aren't nearly so annoying as to pass up that fantastic first season.

Gary "FKB is one show that found it's footing right away - there are many classic episodes in that 1st season" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I'll add my two cents and say, yeah, baby, yeah--season 1 is worth it! I'd rather watch this than what CBS did to My Three Sons.

And aside.....listening further to the radio series, some scripts were later adapted for the TV show and my goodness, I appreciate Billy Gray's Bud even more than ever. The radio Bud was a complete idiot. How Jim never smacked him silly, it is a wonder! :laugh: Betty was such a vain airhead on the radio that thank goodness Elinor Donahue made her a three dimensional character on TV.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed that there are quite a few good extras on the season 1 set. So hopefully DD will have its 20-25% off sale in June/July and I can get all three seasons of FKB and the complete series of Combat!. My current top two items on my wish list.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
You might also want to check Sam's and Target. I've seen FKB S1 at reasonable prices at both.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
TVShowsonDVD is reporting that Shout! has announced that the episodes for Season 3 will be uncut! That's just what we fans wanted to find out!

And this is a lesson to be learned, for instance by those Mary Tyler Moore fans who said no one should complain about Fox's plans but just be grateful for whatever they do.

We complained a lot here about Season 1 of FKB using cut episodes -- Shout! must have listened -- and they saw to it not to do that again. And now, instead of complaining, we're letting them know how much we appreciate it!

I hope this series goes all the way to the end. This is one of the rare series that never jumped the shark.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

It is great news, and exactly what I expected from Shout! Unfortunately, the announcement did bring some disappointing news for me personally. Looks like this upcoming set will NOT include the Christmas episode I want so badly from Robert Young's short-lived series "Window on Main Street". Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that this S3 set will sell enough to justify a 4th Season set, and hope that the Christmas episode will be placed on that one as a bonus.

Gary "of course I have no idea what kind of shape that Christmas episode would even be in, but based on the other 'Window' episodes I've seen thus far from the first couple of volumes I'm hoping it would be in good enough shape to warrant being placed on one of the future FKB sets as a bonus episode" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Wow, talk about a swing in emotions! I just got an email update from TVShowsonDVD.com about an added bonus episode of "Window on Main Street" for the upcoming FKB set and my heart leaped for joy, thinking it would probably be the Christmas episode that I had requested a couple of months ago from Brian Ward (one of the execs at Shout). Of course once I got to Gord's site and read the update I found out it wasn't the Christmas episode for "Window", but the 4th episode in that short-lived series that would be included. So I'm kinda bummed.

Looking at this from an optimistic viewpoint though, I see that these FKB sets have been giving us the "Window" bonus episodes in order, and the Christmas-themed episode would appear on the next set (assuming we get a FKB Season 4 and they give us two bonus episodes of "Window" like they are doing for Season 3). I feel really confident I'll finally get to see this one if we can just get to a Season 4 set.

Gary "then again, we will have the 2nd and last of the FKB Christmas-themed episodes on this upcoming Season 3 set - so that's nice" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I just logged in today & read that TSoD post. I knew you'd been on a roller coaster down there in Fla :thumbsdown: Oh well, maybe the Christmas ep will be in S4. I'd say that it looks like the show will get a complete release.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
so wow--we will get two episodes of "Window" on the FKB season 3 set?? that is super. My DVD plate is getting full this year.....this set, Donna Reed season 2 (which I've heard is pushed back til July?), today's news of Petticoat Junction Season 2 and the eventual releases of Here's Lucy, the Lucy Specials, and hopefully, The Lucy Show season 1. I'm getting closer to the day when I can kiss my cable goodbye! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks