What's new

FATHER KNOWS BEST - Coming in April '08 (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sony's relationship with Shout! Factory, even though their music unit distributes their stuff, has been tense. Shout! wanted to do Parker Lewis Can't Lose and was even working on extras, but Sony stopped it because they didn't want to share any potential revenue with anyone else. They held up the last two seasons of Punky Brewster but NBC/Universal (as NBC produced the first two seasons but couldn't produce the syndicated ones due to fin-syn laws) eventually came through and supplied it to them.

Sony, it seems, would rather have 100% of nothing than 50% of something.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Hasn't it been stated on this thread that according to Shout, they had access to complete 16mm versions of all the episodes but chose to go with butchered syndicated versions for some, because of print quality? If that's the case, why not include what was cut out of the syndicated episodes, the battered footage, as a bonus feature? At least then, the episode would be complete in some way. The same thing was done on some of the I Love Lucy discs. If they would have done this, I probably would have gotten the set. That would have been a clear sign of good faith.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Exactly. That's what they should have done and if they did we wouldn't be having this discussion.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hank, at this point it is totally useless to complain and blame SHOUT for everything that you hate about tv on dvd. Various posts have confirmed that Sony is to blame and Sony's track record is worse than SHOUTS' I am in on the remaining seaosns of FKB if indeed they do get the release they should. I will do everything I can to lead SHOUT into the direction of unedited prints so we the collector and fan of this show can see the releases be the best they can be. I also will champion that the 14 cut episodes that appeared on the first set be released in unedited form on other season sets of the show ir a bonus disc in a future season set. We need to all relay to SHOUT that yeas we support this release but to hold our interest and to get our moolah for succeeding sets we only will buy unedited eps. SHOUT has a great team and from my experience are always trying despite what they have in the way of masters sometimes.

Again the OZZIE AND HARRIET situation is a clear indication that you keep on hanging SHOUT yet in that case it clearly is the Neslon family that does not want to incur the cost of restoring the eps instead they supplied the syndie cuts. Everyone complained for years that the show was only available in garbage quality then when they finally get a official release they complain. Well lets complain to David Nelson again, his father had complete control of the series and for the heirs of Ozzie to treat the show they way they have is appalling. Same on Sony's fromt and Coca Cola too they all made money on FKB but have treated it like trash! So lets take the opportunity and work to get this done right on future sets.

Hank your posts are always great to read!

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hank, at this point it is totally useless to complain and blame SHOUT for everything that you hate about tv on dvd. Various posts have confirmed that Sony is to blame and Sony's track record is worse than SHOUTS' I am in on the remaining seaosns of FKB if indeed they do get the release they should. I will do everything I can to lead SHOUT into the direction of unedited prints so we the collector and fan of this show can see the releases be the best they can be. I also will champion that the 14 cut episodes that appeared on the first set be released in unedited form on other season sets of the show ir a bonus disc in a future season set. We need to all relay to SHOUT that yeas we support this release but to hold our interest and to get our moolah for succeeding sets we only will buy unedited eps. SHOUT has a great team and from my experience are always trying despite what they have in the way of masters sometimes.

Again the OZZIE AND HARRIET situation is a clear indication that you keep on hanging SHOUT yet in that case it clearly is the Neslon family that does not want to incur the cost of restoring the eps instead they supplied the syndie cuts. Everyone complained for years that the show was only available in garbage quality then when they finally get a official release they complain. Well lets complain to David Nelson again, his father had complete control of the series and for the heirs of Ozzie to treat the show they way they have is appalling. Same on Sony's front and Coca Cola too they all made money on FKB but have treated it like trash! So lets take the opportunity and work to get this done right on future sets.

Hank your posts are always great to read!

Sorry for double post

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Coca-Cola hasn't owned Columbia for nearly two decades, they don't enter into the equation for anything that happened to the show after 1989.

Back when they had their online polls, Sony asked what shows people wanted to see, and Father Knows Best was one of the choices.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Well thats exactly the way I had it I said Sony and Coca Cola before them. Also the blame for the terrible edits might rest with the Coca Cola era as this is the timeframe when the show first started airing on THE FAMILY CHANNEL so Coca Cola might be the butchers of the show.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Almost every single episode that Shout put out of Ozzie and Harriet in edited form is available elsewhere unedited. Bad enough they put out cut shows but at least they could have put out cut shows that are not available already complete. I've had 100 episodes of the series with the original commercials for over 25 years. Prints of the series have always been easy to obtain. I don't understand Shout at all. They would rather put out slightly better looking shows that are cut than complete shows off 16mm. Which by the way, as evidenced by the Man with a Camera release, if 16mm prints are transferred with great care they can look wonderful. And by the way, stop blaming just the Nelson estate. SFM Entertainment represents the show and just like they did with Real McCoys, they were the ones supplying the elements. So don't be so sure it wasn't their doing that O&H was released that way. Considering that they have no put out edited shows with Ozzie and Harriet, Real McCoys, Joey Bishop and season 5 of Make Room for Daddy, maybe you should put the blame on them. Which doesn't excuse Shout. When SFM made a deal with Smore for season 6 of MRFD, Smore insisted on complete shows and they got them.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

What Hank says regarding the availablility of "Ozzie & Harriet" prints is true as evidenced by the massive collection of 100 episodes (presumably public domain) released by Mill Creek Entertainment last year.

Mill Creek Details Page

I have the Mill Creek set and the vast majority of the episodes are complete and many of those complete episodes also include original commercials. Twelve of the 24 episodes released by Shout! on their first set also appeared on the Mill Creek set so, yes, there was very definitely episode overlap though, to be fair, I don't know how Shout! could have known what episodes Mill Creek was releasing. If I recall correctly, the Mill Creek set was released just a few weeks ahead of Shout!'s official release. For the record, I also own the Shout! "Ozzie & Harriet" set.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
As I posted earlier, it's amazing to me that SHOUT cannot even get their act together enough to respond to a professional retail buyer eager to sell their product. Just yesterday my gf closed a deal with TIMELESS MEDIA to carry one of their DVDs in her store. She reported that the person in charge could not have been more courteous, proud of the DVD being ordered and anxious to make the deal. Contrast that with SHOUT who never even returned my gf's numerous calls and inquiries to market their titles. Something is seriously amiss there, no matter how responsive they are on their forums or how much faith one puts into the questionable dedication they display in their product.

For that matter, how does a company like Critic's Choice find mint, uncut prints of a relatively unknown, forgotten series like DANGEROUS ASSIGNMENT, but SHOUT can't be committed to securing same for once popular shows like OZZIE AND HARRIET and FATHER KNOWS BEST?

Go ahead and blame SONY, SFM, David Nelson and the butler, but at the end of the day who released these DVDs and whose name is on them?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It really aggravates me so much that I want to repeat myself.

The whole idea behind Season Sets of TV Series on DVD, and what made them so exciting in the first place, was that people, at long last, could get all the episodes of their favorite series, restored to their full length after 30, 40 or 50 years of seeing cut episodes, and in the best possible prints.

Don't companies understand that? Why would people get excited over a set when it's the same cut, subpar prints they've seen in syndication for years?

Extras are nice, but I'd rather see the time, effort and expense given to restoring the prints than to producing extras.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Received my FKB set today and so far I'm enjoying seeing the shows again. Been so long, that I don't even recall these episodes (were they included in the last syndication package?). Guess I'm not an audio/video buff--because I'm content with the video quality and the audio as well. Sure, I noticed those blackouts, but they are not that big an issue for me. The closing credits being so un-closing is kinda disappointing, but still not a deal breaker.
I haven't watched the extras yet, but will get around to it, maybe this weekend. I notice the copyright on the package says (c)2008 The Young Family Trust of 1974 and The Morgan Rodney Living Trust.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I watched most of Disc 1 of the 4-Disc "Father Knows Best" DVD set this week. And every episode I watched was excellent. I'd forgotten how truly good these shows really are (and right out of the gate at the very beginning of Season 1 too).

And while some episodes are certainly trimmed to 22+ minutes (which I don't like seeing), not every show seems to have fallen prey to the syndication axe, with some eps. running 25+ minutes.

The video quality on the DVD looks pretty good to me too. Not perfect, but quite decent IMO. (Okay, shoot me...I'm just not going to complain about this set at all, despite some cut shows.) ;)

Maybe I'll sound like a spongy sap by saying this, but some of these shows are so good and have such good acting (IMO) that I found myself experiencing a large lump in my throat at the end of the last act -- particularly at the end of "Live My Own Life" (where Bud leaves home to live in a shabby room above the local feed store) and "The Motor Scooter", which contains a very tender scene near the end between Bud and Mrs. Knows Best (the great Jane Wyatt).

Do any 21st-century TV programs ever leave a lump in your throat after watching them? If so, I'll bet there aren't many (especially comedies).

Even though it's not a perfect DVD set in every way, I'd still highly recommend "Father Knows Best: Season One" on Digital Versatile Disc.

Or, as Betty Anderson might put it, these FKB shows are simply "excruciatingly divine!" :)

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/2a/htf_imgcache_28295.jpeg] [/url]

BACK COVER

RobertGr

Second Unit
Well I checked over at Amazon on the reviews for the MILL CREEK release of OZZIE AND HARRIET and quite a few of the reviews mention that all of the prints are not stellar quality and have the PD look to them. Also noted that the reviews say quite a few syndie cut prints are on the set. The only way anyone will see a UNCUT release of that show would be for Nelson Family to invest the time and effort to restore the show and make new masters. heck if they were smart that would possibly open up a cable network to pick up the show and run it with brand spanking new prints and then open up quality releases via SHOUT. Sony has neglected prime, classic shows like BACHELOR FATHER which was quite popular here in NY reruns in the early and mid 70's, they have turned their backs on DENNIS THE MENACE and DONNA REED, thanks to SHOUT we have FKB finally out there, and with our support of the product and respectful comments maybe the releases will continue and if the product sells maybe more money can be allocated to make every collector happy. SHOUTS' work on YOU BET YOUR LIFE was great and their upcoming HIYA KIDDIES looks to be a winner too!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thank you, thank you, thank you! David, your post is a breath of fresh air for a thread that had been mired in rehashed criticisms. Everyone has made their individual pro or con points with this set and I sincerely wish it would stop. We just don't need any more complaining in this thread.

As to your point about how good this show was, I couldn't agree more and have been enjoying this set immensely with my wife and two daughters. And yes, I've found myself with a lump in my throat on several occasions thus far. It's amazing how much this show in particular tugs at my heart strings. There are very, very few shows (even amongst some that I consider favorites) that can get me teary-eyed like this one can. I'm so happy to have this set and look forward to many years worth of enjoyment revisiting it over and over.

Gary "as always, I appreciate your posts David" O.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Gary.

I agree. And I haven't even gotten to the two holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) episodes yet! I'm probably in for more 'lumps' there. :)

I'm also pleased by the fact that I don't remember ever having watched any of these episodes before (from Disc 1 at least). I sure don't remember any of these stories at any rate. But I recall watching many FKB reruns in past years. Guess I'm really getting old....no memory of anything.

But, then too, maybe that's an underestimated advantage to senilty -- it makes every old TV show on DVD seem brand-new and fresh once more. :)

Now....if I could only remember which room the TV is in, I could watch some more of these episodes. :D

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

Well, as one who never particularly liked FKB and has no intention of ever getting it on DVD cut or uncut, I have arguably at least a little bit of an objective perspective. I don't mind being added to the chorus of complainers simply because in MY opinion I believe the loyalty to SHOUT FACTORY, even the conditional kind, let alone the blind ones, is misguided. I posted of the personal experience of SHOUT with my gf and I think it is somewhat representative of a company that does not always prioritize the desires of its customers. If that invalidates my objectivity, so be it.

To laud them for just simply RELEASING something on DVD belies the whole concept of the established DVD format and does not bode well for future releases from ANY company. This is the way the capitalist system has worked at least since the 80's: Accept crap at the start and they've hooked you into a lifetime of it. And I would like to know in the case of these FKB DVDs, in terms of quality and not legality, how does this sub-standard release differ from what dozens of bootleggers offer?

I'm not trying to tell anyone not to buy or enjoy the FKB DVDs, just to ease up a bit on the Pollyanna appreciation for ANY company that is not as professional or as conscientious as they could and SHOULD be.

If this view opposes anyone else's point-of-view and one wishes it were not a part of this thread, I would have to suggest you either ignore it or start another thread that is more commensurate with what YOU want a thread to be. I don't mean to argue or debate this incessantly, nor do I mean to insult anyone or demean their perspective, but I always get just a little riled when someone starts wishing a thread had a little "less" difference of opinion.

And just for the record, I generally enjoy your posts very much, Gary, and am glad you are having such a good time seeing FKB again. I've had that same feeling a few times in rediscovering old tv and it's one unlike any other, a combination of nostalgia mixed with affection for a genuinely timeless experience.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Glen, this thread is now 12 pages long and since the very beginning we've had these "discussions" about the pro's and con's of the set. I'm all for people voicing their opinions. I'm not a Nazi, for goodness sake. I think it's fine to state your opinion and for people to have genuine, good faith debate about the merits or lack of merits with a dvd release. But there comes a point where everyone is just running in circles and it absolutely becomes tedious and unnecessary.

And for the record, I do resent the comment that I'm being a Pollyanna when it comes to Shout! Factory. That's just not true at all. My point is not that we should all send flowers to SF and praise them up and down for this release. My point is that they, as opposed to Sony, at least gave us something. The show is NOT, I repeat NOT, available elsewhere. It's not on TV and may never be again. So I'm thankful that at least I get to see the series again. No, not all the episodes are uncut (which is what I definitely want), but at least I'm getting to see the show again. It's not so much about Shout as it is about "Father Knows Best" being available to me. That's the point here, yet it's lost on some people.

This all boils down to how much a person wants to see the show. You mentioned that you never had any desire to pick the show up because you didn't care for it (which, btw, does disqualify you from being "objective" about the release in my opinion). On the other hand this was the #1 most wanted, unreleased show on my list before Shout announced it. That makes a difference, my friend. It makes a big difference, and I think people need to take that into consideration.

Gary "still hoping people stop the bickering and move on" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Now, that put a lump in my throat. The only way we could remotely even begin to hope that a Second Season would be done correctly is to complain about the First Season!

In fact, I think we need more complaining, not less.

What we really need, as with all things, is everyone free to express what they think without any censorship. I like that both sides are being expressed here.

Joe "I know Gary O. isn't in favor of censorship; I just think he's letting his emotion get in the way of his usual good sense here" Lugoff

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

To quote Charlie Brown, "Ugh..." Ok, whatever.

Gary "how in the world can the word 'censorship' even enter into this discussion?!!!" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks