Fate of Amazing Race?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DeathStar1, Aug 22, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone think AR is in danger of being cancelled?

Now I have a Highschool friend who has been working on the show since pre-Family Edition ( Just found out two seasons ago). Even though they got 5 Emmy nominations for Season 9, I guess he's not sure if they are coming back for #11. Maybe it's time I tuned back in after a bit of an AR break.

Heh, seems ALOT of people might have stopped watching when Family Edition was on, more than I thought.

2. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

They're going to have an uphill ratings battle this fall, too, with the new Sunday time slot. They'll be scheduled opposite Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, which is also a fairly family-friendly reality show, and is already entrenched as a Sunday habit for a lot of people. Add to that the inconsistency of start times for CBS Sunday programming in the Eastern and Central time zones during football season, and a lot of people could wind up frustrated and give up watching.

Here's hoping it gets good turnout despite those obstacles; it's still a favorite of mine (even if I didn't really like any of the teams on the most recent edition).

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

The move to Sunday sucks, because thanks to football it will be on at a different time every week.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I started watching with TAR7 and even stuck with the show through the Family Edition and the mediocre TAR9 but I have gotten the feeling with the constant promotion the new season has been getting, this season may very well be do or die.

I'd love to see it continue; although unfortunately they might be coerced into doing an All Star edition if they feel a need to raise the ratings.

5. CherylJ

CherylJ Stunt Coordinator

After watching Treasure Hunters (aka the not-so-amazing race), I appreciate TAR more than ever.

I am really looking forward to the new season and I hope it's not the last. But CBS is doing it no favors with the schedule change.

6. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I think it'll thrive on Sunday.

It'll get a strong lead-in on one of the most watched nights of television.

TAR had struggled in the ratings when it debuted in 2001.

At some point along the way, they aired it in the summer...where it found ratings success. I think that was TAR 5 in 2004.

I liked it better in the summer.

I don't think the show will die...even if ratings aren't that strong. The show has always been popular among families. Last season, they aired it at 10 p.m. EST.

It is one of mave faves. Love the show.

I will admit that the family version was probably a mistake.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I know sports fans don't care, but as a Married With Children and Simpsons fan back in the school days, I LOATHED Sunday night football and baseball Season. We only had 6 hour tapes back then, and who knew WHEN it would be on? [​IMG].

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I really hope not.
    The Amazing Race is a stunning show, one of the few quality reality shows out there. The end of the show would be a serious loss.

I do think the show does need some work - some of the changes made in the past few seasons have not been advantageous. They do need to rework the use of the Fast Forwards, because when you only have two FFs on the race, there is no tactical decision about whether it is most advantageous to go for the FF (you just go for it if you're the first person to get the clue that mentions the FF). Personally, I would have three or four FFs, but allow more than one team to collect for it (or have a sliding number - 3 FFs for the first one, 2 for the second, 1 for the last), because I think that might make it a more tactical decision. They also really need to drop the product placement - Travelocity should be satisfied wth being mentioned as the provider of the prize, rather than inflicting the gnome on us each season. And in addition to these, the quality of the season varies according to casting.

But despite those flaws, it's still a highlight of my week when its on, and I would be sad if it ended.

9. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I'd like to see them return to FFs on every leg; the way they have it now makes it so that teams in the lead keep their lead and underdog teams fall out of it.

10. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Now, I have choose between TAR and the FOX cartoons, which I've been watching since 1996. It will be either opposite The Simpsons or Family Guy.

I thought it would have been better off if it was held off until midseason.

Last season, I remember the Kansas City at Dallas game ended around 7:45 PM, and it didn't even go into overtime. Now, we'll know how Survivor fans felt when the finale aired on Sunday, during football season.

11. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    CBS jerked the show around all last year with two different days and different times slots. 10pm was a HUGE mistake and the people on the Family Edition were just bland beyond belief. Yes, it is going to have a battle on its hands Sunday night opposite Simpsons/Family Guy and Extreme Makeover. CBS' ratings expectations have to be a bit lower and in line with the competition.

With this show always winning Emmy's, it is the classiest of all reality shows. I don't think CBS will throw in the towel.

12. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

It needs to be in HD though...

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You just need a DVR

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Absolutely, that would be my preference. But I can understand the reasons for dropping FFs on every leg - it's another task that they have to come up with, go to the expense of preparing, staffing, etc, and it may never be used, and that is wasted money on an already (presumably) expensive show. So I can understand their desire to cut the FFs down to a limited number. But, as you say, now it just helps keep teams keep their lead. So, recognising that they won't go back to FFs on every leg, I started to think how you could modify it to alow better tactical use of the FFs, and I think the whole "allowing multiple teams to claim a FF" could possibly work.

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

CBS is promoting the new season, and the new time slot, quite a bit. So, I'm not TOO worried about it.

We'll see after the first few eps.

16. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

I have a VCR, but the problem for me, will be an inconsistent starting time and I'm usually not home during that time.

17. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

One advantage of DVR over VCR is not worrying if you have enough tape, plus you can easily have dozens of free hours instead of a maximum of six or eight. You can also skip around randomly. So you just always record all of primetime, and you'll be bound to catch it.

Get a dual-tuner rig, and you can record both CBS and Fox.

18. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I've always thought that they should have the detour first and the roadblock last, and the first team to complete both legs of the detour would be given the fast forward and told to go to the pit stop. When you finish the first leg of the detour you'd get to see the clue for going forward (which is usually an airport flight to somewhere else) and you'd be able to research whether it would be better to try to complete the other leg of the detour or to continue forward. You wouldn't know if someone else was trying for the fast forward, so there could be lots of finish place shuffling if more than one team chewed up the clock going after the fast forward.

If they still limited it to one fast forward per team then it wouldn't give any team a long term advantage and the producers wouldn't have to staff any extra challenges.

Brad

19. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I like that idea a lot. I prefer FFs where teams can compete against each other, and not where the first team to show up pretty much gets it.

20. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Plus there is Sunday Night Football on NBC, as I am a big football fan.