What's new

Fate (for PC) a nice old fashioned Dungeon Crawl (1 Viewer)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Been playing Fate from the company Wild Tangent since I got my new PC up and running a couple of weeks back. It is a Diablo style dungeon crawl, although it definitely harkens back to the old mainframe classic, Nethack. Like Diablo you start on the surface with a multilevel dungeon nearby. Like Nethack you have a trusty sidekick (a dog or a cat) that serves as a partner in fights and as a pack animal.

The graphics are pleasantly bright and you can zoom the camera in and out to get the optimal third person view. The music is interesting for awhile but its renaisance fair style gets old after a bit. Sound effects are okay although pausing the game with a fire or running water nearby gives a constant background noise.

Your character development is fairly strait forward and flexible. You have four main characteristics (strength, dexterity, vitality, and magic). You get 5 skill points everytime you level and their are devices, fountains, alters, and the like that can modify your characteristics (up or down). You also have about 20 different skills to choose from and get 2 points for each level and 4 points each time your fame increases. There are increasing and decreasing opportunities in the dungeon as well. You can award your points in any skill in any amount (that I have discovered so far).

There is a good selection of stores inside and outside the dungeon and their contents change effectively as you level (generally they are selling stuff I can't use yet or can't afford but that should improve as my level increases). There are also about a half dozen characters on the surface that will give you quests. The quests are random and change each time you return to town (if you don't accept them). You can have three current quests at a time and the rewards are fame, money, experience, and items.

Also, as an interesting aside there are fishing holes where you can catch fish (you can buy them at certain stores also) that allow you to transform your pet into more powerful creatures. Most fish have a time limit for the transformation where your pet will change back. Your pet retains all his pack animal abilities, including the ability to send him to town and sell his inventory, while he is transformed. It is impossible for your pet to die so that is very helpful.

The monsters are varied and have decent scaled graphics (the Mimic is definitely pretty cool). The levels alternate between different styles and have different lighting schemes that keep them looking a little less repetitive. There is also stores, fishing holes, fountains, alters, and other such things to provide elements other that straight combat.

In general, if you liked the Diablo style games or were a fan of Nethack you should enjoy this pleasant diversion. If you don't like the repetitive dungeon crawl type games this probably won't convert you although it does introduce some nice elements that make this game more mainstream than others.

Recommended.

Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I think the free demo version lets you play the first three levels. Another note, when you die you get three options: lose experience and fame but stay where you are, pay gold and be sent to nearby level (note it could be up or down), drop your gold and go up three levels. The levels above do refresh the monsters so you must fight you way back down but you only lose your gold, not your weapons. Once you get to where you died your gold is in a pile.

I have run into some other cool looking monsters. The Watcher (basically a Beholder) looks pretty cool and I just bumped into a demonling.

Cheers,

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks