What's new

Fastlane - surprisingly entertaining (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
This "Miami Vice" rip-off, only slightly updated for the 00's, didn't inspire much hope in me when I saw the previews. It looked just way too cheesy, and pretty dull, actually.
Well, I watched it anyway, and found it to be just cheesy enough and not dull for a second! :)
The two main characters, Crocket and Tubbs (or was that another show?), aren't very interesting, but they are used well. The Tom Cruise lookalike had a few scenes of decent acting even!
Tiffani Thiessen is horribly miscast as their boss, but who cares, she's pretty and she did a good job with what she was handed.
Of course, the whole show is completely unrealistic. Basically the cops have almost limitless resources (nice explanation for this, by the way) and they don't have the same responsibilities as other cops (you know, reading suspects' rights and all that crap). So everything's just set up to extract as much coolness and action out of the concept as possible, without worrying what makes logical sense. Of course, some things are just sloppy, like in the first episode when a character looked at his cellphone which said "No service" in big letters on the display, yet showed that the signal strength was at the maximum... :)
Since all the cop shows these days on TV seem to try and be "realistic" (and that's the reason I haven't followed a cop show since "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice"), "Fastlane" provides some nice, entertaining and relaxing escapism. If they can just keep it from being boring, I think there might be a market for it. I certainly will follow it. Then again, I loved the prime time soap "Titans" on NBC a few seasons ago, another throwback to less reality-obsessed TV times... and that show was cancelled before the season was over.
/Mike

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I'm not sold on the show yet. The eye candy was very nice... but the show just stank of McG. It was almost TOO much. I'm guessing that the cost of producing the show will cause the show to fail. The Fred Durst appearance was a bit cheesy too.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
MTV will start airing this show now too, according to Link Removed
I guess they're trying to do a similar thing to what Fox/FX did with "24". I think it's a great idea, give you a chance to catch up if you missed an episode.
/Mike

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It was alright, pretty violent too I might add. :eek:
And as stated, Tiffani Thiessen is incredibly fine!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I'll keep watching for a couple more eps before I decide to continue.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
Being a music video director really shows in every episode... it looks like an hour long music video. With the shots, the slow mo, the high contrast colors, the music. The first episode had more action than the second episode though... So far it seems like it could get interesting if they get good story lines.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is one of the best/worst new shows and will make it. Why? Simple, it knows what it is and gives viewers exactly what they want. Heck, the actors are practically looking directly into the camera with a wink and a smile. In the pilot show, there is absolutly no reason at all twords the end for both the guy and the girl to take their shirts off. They did it as if to say "hey, it's been awhile since we were nekid so here."
Yes, it's pure eye candy, little story and an updated Miami Vice for 2000. Gotta love it!!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks